Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of not-so-idle curiosity I'm wondering if anyone who has both a Q and 2.0 5" M&P has a preference.

I've got both and one is going (the Q) in trade for a CZ 75B compact. (I don't own any CZs and would like to have one in the safe, I don't need two excellent striker-fired full-sized 9s.)

I traded for the M&P and the previous owner had an Apex trigger installed that's better than the stock Q's and the Smith just feels better in my hand, and I shoot it better as well, so my decision isn't too difficult (although I hate giving up the 9mm Walther; I'm keeping the .45).

As mentioned, I'm just curious in terms of preference. (I'll paste this same question on the Smith board and report back about what the other guys say.)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a M1 PPQ and the first gen M&P with the Apex trigger but it's pretty similar to the 2.0.
I don't shoot the M&P that often but when I do, I'm reminded how it's a great gun.
The Apex trigger makes a world of difference over the stock trigger but I still grab the PPQ for the range.

I feel like the M&P has a heavier slide and helps with recoil and is easy to stay on target.

That being said, if I could only keep one it would be the PPQ.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
I own both, and I love them both. I don't envy your dilemma.

If I do sell one, I believe that would have to be the PPQ 5" because I will one day replace it with the new PPQ Q5 SF anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I own both and I prefer the PPQ. I've owned the PPQ for longer so it feels more familiar and comfortable to me. I shoot slightly better with the PPQ and I use that for local matches.

I very much prefer the slide lock/release on the PPQ over the M&P.

But mostly I don't use the M&P because I happened to chose the version that has a manual safety on a whim. I would very much like to have the other version instead (anyone want to trade?). I do have the kit from Smith & Wesson that removes the manual safety and turns it into the other version, but I don't think that would be approved for use in matches so I haven't done the conversion.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The 2.0 with the APEX is nicer than the PPQ Trigger depending on the owners goals.

Then again the PPQ with an Apex or better yet, with one of the new Walther competition triggers is likely to be very exciting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I own both and I prefer the PPQ. I've owned the PPQ for longer so it feels more familiar and comfortable to me. I shoot slightly better with the PPQ and I use that for local matches.

I very much prefer the slide lock/release on the PPQ over the M&P.

But mostly I don't use the M&P because I happened to chose the version that has a manual safety on a whim. I would very much like to have the other version instead (anyone want to trade?). I do have the kit from Smith & Wesson that removes the manual safety and turns it into the other version, but I don't think that would be approved for use in matches so I haven't done the conversion.
Why would it not be approved for match use? It is the exact same gun with a U-shaped piece of metal as the only difference.

Removal is simple. Just drift out the rear sear assembly pin. Lift up just enough on the sear assembly to work out the safety. Utilize the hole plugs provided by S&W to bring it back to same look as the non-safety version... These are the same plugs that S&W uses in the factory to fill the holes when they do not install a safety.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why would it not be approved for match use? It is the exact same gun with a U-shaped piece of metal as the only difference.

Removal is simple. Just drift out the rear sear assembly pin. Lift up just enough on the sear assembly to work out the safety. Utilize the hole plugs provided by S&W to bring it back to same look as the non-safety version... These are the same plugs that S&W uses in the factory to fill the holes when they do not install a safety.
Yeah, I know it'll be identical to a factory model without the manual safety. Except that the serial number will indicate it was shipped from factory with a manual safety and that USPSA rules (Appendix D4, 22.1) say:

Specifically prohibited modifications and features:
"Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety"
"External and externally operated safety mechanisms must remain operable."
"For purposes of this clause, the prohibition on “disabling” means that you may NOT modify an external safety mechanism in any way that affects its function as a safety per the OFM design."

One could argue that the OFM design for this particular firearm includes a version that has this specific modification, and that the modification has been made with the correct OFM part. But it seems quite a bit up to interpretation.

In IDPA, section 8.2.1.2.C could perhaps make the modification allowed, but it would still depend on a favorable interpretation:

"Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts