Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After inspecting the PPQ I don't think you have much to gain by polishing any action parts. As a matter of fact I would not recommend it based on the PPQ design. The striker spring seems excessively stout and kinked on my gun. That was the natural place to start.

So..Simple and easy trigger tuning using striker springs...YMMV

1) Glock standard striker spring-reduces PPQ pull 1/2 pound with 100 reliability

2) Vanek Glock reduced power striker spring. Reduces PPQ pull weight 1.0 pound with 100% reliability (150 rounds tested)

Tested with fiocchi, PMC, American Eagle and Winchester Ranger +P.

Lyman digital trigger scale.

I am using the reduced power spring and have a 3.9# pull.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Exactly right. The striker spring has little, if any effect at all on the trigger feel, as the PPQ is a SAO design and the striker is always fully cocked.

Are you sure you had different weights before and after the swap?
I'm just one of several who will say what I said in my first statement..

Not trying to argue or say you're untruthful, and I will admit I'm not the most PPQ-tech-savvy guy here...so... ;):)

Reactions: blackhillsken

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
That's very odd...Walther itself has stated that the weight of the trigger is solely determined by the spring at the rear of the frame, visible with slide off.

Must be tied in through the dis-connecter in some way.

No offense meant, and respectfully assume you'd have little gain by telling an untruth. :)

While I wouldn't change anything on mine, it IS good to know that for the competition guys who run PPQ, they can take 'er down a bit more.

But you want to see a bunched-up striker spring...check out the PPS...I swapped in a PPQ spring into mine and it helped. Didn't lessen the trigger weight any that I can feel via my finger, but it did smooth out the scratchy feeling, which was my goal. Can't take credit for the discovery...I read it here on WaltherForums. :)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It makes sense that it would have an impact on trigger weight. A pull of the trigger moves the sear out of the way so that the striker can travel to the primer. The striker spring is what pushes the striker onto the sear.

But you won't notice any difference in the take-up of the trigger pull. You may or may not notice a difference in the trigger creep and trigger break.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
The striker spring is what pushes the striker onto the sear.

But you won't notice any difference in the take-up of the trigger pull. You may or may not notice a difference in the trigger creep and trigger break.
Ahh, gotcha. Must've had one of them there brain farts I hear people mention, time to time.

Duly noted, good sir. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have many pistols in which I have adjusted the trigger to produce a lighter, crisper pull. However I caution very strongly against doing so in the PPQ. I have one (4" M2) and thoroughly respect it, but the trigger is dangerously light if the user does not properly train for it. The trigger pull on my pistol weighs in at 4.25 lbs out of the box. I like that very much, but I HAVE had it discharge a round when I did not expect it on several occasions (my fault; my doing). I know; I know -- the bullet doesn't launch itself. It requires a trigger pull. All I'm saying is that the trigger pull is much lighter than other striker-fired pistols and therefore requires adequate training. Once adequately trained on the PPQ's light trigger pull, this is an awesome weapon. After 40 years of pistoleering, I am still adjusting to this excellent firearm. Be careful; train properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have many pistols in which I have adjusted the trigger to produce a lighter, crisper pull. However I caution very strongly against doing so in the PPQ. ...
Mine was 5.5 lbs. out of the box. The Walther specified pull is 5.6 Lbs. so maybe yours is defective?

At 4# I have no problems with it but then again YMMV.

I routinely shoot 1911's with a 2# trigger and very little takeup so this feels heavy to me.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I disagree with the stock trigger being dangerously light. There is not much of a difference in trigger pull weight between most of the striker fired pistols comparable to the PPQ, that many, many people carry and use every day.

If you yourself are dangerous with a PPQ, don't get a VP9, or a Glock, or an M&P either.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wouldn't mind reducing the take up to be more like the VP9 or my Apex FSS trigger.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
People just messing with their PPQs triggers,are just making it into unsafe or just junk. The PPQ has been proven to have a great shooters trigger. As it comes from Walther:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Given that the PPQ has such a superb trigger for only just being a striker fired design, with a goodly use of plastic to boot would make me think that for those who are critical of it's too light :confused: trigger...well, they have, as mentioned in the most prior post, likely not spent any time with handguns costing twice as much. Or more.

Walther didn't design the PPQ to be a carry gun, per se, but rather as a target and range gun, as they deliberately made the trigger too light, the reset too short for German police agencies.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Regarding the "dangerously light" trigger, it might be useful to remember that the PPQ has a single action trigger.

If you transition from a double action striker firearm like a Glock and are used to staging the trigger; you might find that technique does not translate to a good PPQ technique.

I suggest that one should figure out what role the PPQ will play: range gun, carry, or home defense. Then train accordingly.:)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I hate to say it but as much praise as the PPQ trigger gets, I can only imagine what some would say about the Steyr trigger the first time firing it.

To me, that is the best striker fire trigger on the market with the exception of having a weak reset that is not as pronounced or positive "clicking" as others. Mine measures @ 5.17#, but because of how smooth it is, as well as it only having a 4mm travel from start to "BANG", it feels lighter. No, that's not a typo, it is only 4mm, and why I feel so strongly about how great the Grand Power trigger! But that's another story altogether for other threads....

Before I sold it, my PPQ was in regular rotation for EDC with my Steyr, and I do not see where the problem is when shooters say it is too light?????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Walther didn't design the PPQ to be a carry gun, per se, but rather as a target and range gun, as they deliberately made the trigger too light, the reset too short for German police agencies.
I don't know where you could have gotten that idea. PPQ stands for "Police Pistol Quick Defense" where the "Quick Defense" refers to the trigger. It's marketed in Germany as being a pistol for special/cool guys with better triggers than the standard police model. In the US it's just a pistol with a great trigger.

If a person is not comfortable with the PPQ trigger they should either get better training or get something with a manual safety. If you do something that will ND a PPQ I think there's a 99% chance it would ND any just about any other pistol without a manual safety. My PPQ's trigger pull measures about 5 lbs on a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. On that same gauge my Glock 19 with polished factory internals ala "25 cent trigger job" is about 5.5 lbs. Is there a scenario where I would ND the PPQ and the Glock wouldn't have NDed? Maybe theoretically, but in any practical sense no.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I don't know where you could have gotten that idea.
I read on this very forum that most of Germany's police agencies require both a heavier, as well as long reset on the trigger. Basically, and this is simply my own opinion, that after designing the P99Q (which predated the PPQ as we know it, and has a different trigger altogether), that Walther must have thought...how about we put a slick new lightweight trigger with out of this world reset and sell it in America as an all around, better than a glock, and cheaper than an HK, and call it the PPQ?

I personally love the trigger, and do indeed carry the PPQ condition one, as I do with my other Walther guns.

My point here is simply that by German Police or Military standards, the PPQ's trigger is simply too light, with too short of a reset.

Please note, I'm not complaining about it. ;):)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts