Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a beef about the trigger on my PPQ2 9mm. First off, I love the gun, it's accurate as all hell. But I have one issue with it. The trigger is fine on the first pull, but the reset/follow up pull is TOO light. I find myself firing in error sometimes because the trigger is too sensitive. The reset is not firm enough, for me anyway. Anyone else have the same problem? Any fix?

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
Its not the trigger.....its you. Unless you stage the trigger, the trigger pull is a loooooooong lite pull. That's what you're doing with the first pull....in addition, and whats causing you the problem is, your NOT holding the trigger all the way back during recoil. YOU are using too lite a finger on the trigger and NOT holding the trigger to the rear until the muzzle comes back down to the target.

Its the short reset and not consciously holding the trigger to the rear during the recoil that's getting you. It's not that the reset is to lite, its not...but it is short, and that's part of your problem, combined with what I already said about holding the trigger to the rear during recoil.

The fix is learning how to pull/use the trigger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holding back on the trigger could be the case, and Im not ruling out the ME factor, but it only happens on the Walther. Does not happen all the time though. I shoot a Glock and a S&W and and though the triggers are different than the Walther, it does not happen when shoot these pistols. Those triggers have a more tactile reset. I use the Walther for shooting IDPA matches so speed and accuracy are important. Just wish the PPQ had a stiffer reset for that reason alone.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I totally agree with Oldfart above. It's all about trigger control.

However........... I had a similar issue with the trigger on my Q45. Over time, it seemed to have gotten lighter, with a very light break.

I called Walther and asked their folks if they had any ideas. They sent me a stiffer trigger return spring. No cost. Sorry, I don't have the part # but I think it has been mentioned on this forum before.

It's not a huge, night and day, difference. But it is just a bit stiffer and I like it for my purpose with that particular pistol.

Dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
The PPQ has one of, if not the best trigger on the market. Reset is 0.1 inch. Short, yes, haven't noticed it being light. I love mine the way it is, main reason I bought it.
Work with & adjust to the gun, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with OP, as well as a 'training issue', but personally I find the PPQ trigger a bit too light for CC use.

Many others I've allowed to use my PPQ have accidentally double tapped at the range, as adjusting to the 'excellent' trigger takes some time.

I prefer some of my other pistols for CC due to this fact, but to each their own.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I've never accidentally double tapped my P99 or PPQ.

The PPQ is not the pinnacle of good triggers out there. It may be in polymer pistols, but there are much, much more popular pistols out there with much lighter and shorter triggers and trigger resets.

Have you guys ever shot any 1911? How come I don't hear of accidental double taps there?

Have you guys ever shot any of the DA/SA 3rd generation S&W semi-automatic pistols? How come I don't hear of accidental double taps there?

The 1911 was the military pistol for decades, with no double tap issues I've heard of. The S&W pistols were very popular with a very large amount of police departments for decades, with no double tap issues that I've heard of. Both have lighter SA triggers with shorter and lighter trigger resets.

Getting into competition pistols, the weight and length gets even shorter. Have you guys ever tried a custom CZ pistol? Are competitors having these issues that I'm just not hearing about?

The PPQ trigger is not that big of a deal, compared to one of the most popular military pistols, one of the most popular police pistols, and one of the most popular competition pistols, all of which, nobody seems to have an issue with. I really don't understand why anyone has an issue with the trigger here.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've never accidentally double tapped my P99 or PPQ.

The PPQ is not the pinnacle of good triggers out there. It may be in polymer pistols, but there are much, much more popular pistols out there with much lighter and shorter triggers and trigger resets.

Have you guys ever shot any 1911? How come I don't hear of accidental double taps there?

Have you guys ever shot any of the DA/SA 3rd generation S&W semi-automatic pistols? How come I don't hear of accidental double taps there?

The 1911 was the military pistol for decades, with no double tap issues I've heard of. The S&W pistols were very popular with a very large amount of police departments for decades, with no double tap issues that I've heard of. Both have lighter SA triggers with shorter and lighter trigger resets.

Getting into competition pistols, the weight and length gets even shorter. Have you guys ever tried a custom CZ pistol? Are competitors having these issues that I'm just not hearing about?

The PPQ trigger is not that big of a deal, compared to one of the most popular military pistols, one of the most popular police pistols, and one of the most popular competition pistols, all of which, nobody seems to have an issue with. I really don't understand why anyone has an issue with the trigger here.

Again, each to his own. Do you CC your competition guns? In some states you're looking at some possible issues with modified triggers on CC or HD guns, and glad you're more skilled than other mere mortals with PPQ and other 'better triggers' regarding double taps

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have never felt the PPQ trigger had any issues and I bounce between a lot of handguns all the time for my job. The PPQ trigger is still the gold standard of the striker fire world. You will get use to the trigger.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Again, each to his own. Do you CC your competition guns? In some states you're looking at some possible issues with modified triggers on CC or HD guns, and glad you're more skilled than other mere mortals with PPQ and other 'better triggers' regarding double taps
I've shot competition pistols, and the shooting aspect seems to be where the problem is in regards to the thread topic.

I didn't say I was superhuman. Neither are the millions who have shot and carried pistols with lighter and shorter trigger resets. I'm just saying that I don't believe the trigger is solely to blame here. I've put out three examples of pistol designs that are much more popular than the PPQ, that have shorter and lighter trigger resets, and that mere mortals don't seem to have an issue with.

Why is this the case?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The first couple times out with my PPQ I had a couple unintended double taps but that was all me. I was trying to get back on the trigger too quickly apparently while the pistol was still recoiling. I worked on improving my grip to manage the recoil better and that seemed to solve the problem along with getting used to the trigger. Personally I don't hold the trigger back until the pistol is done recoiling and then release the trigger to reset. I let the trigger out right after the round fires and bring it back towards reset as the pistol is heading back down onto target.

The PPQ is a light pistol and I believe the slide moves very fast. With a not so optimum grip the PPQ can be pretty flippy and I think that helps contribute to the unintended double taps especially since The PPQ trigger is also so nice that it does not give you much of any warning that you are at the wall and ready to go unlike many other pistols that have grit and creep in the trigger pull.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The PPQ is a light pistol and I believe the slide moves very fast. With a not so optimum grip the PPQ can be pretty flippy and I think that helps contribute to the unintended double taps especially since The PPQ trigger is also so nice that it does not give you much of any warning that you are at the wall and ready to go unlike many other pistols that have grit and creep in the trigger pull.
I think you've hit on it here. The PPQ does have more muzzle flip than the other pistols I've mentioned with arguably "better" triggers. It may be some combination of recoil control, grip, and the method of firing/resetting the trigger. Otherwise, I believe we would be hearing many more reports of people double tapping these other pistols with lighter and shorter resets.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think you've hit on it here. The PPQ does have more muzzle flip than the other pistols I've mentioned with arguably "better" triggers. It may be some combination of recoil control, grip, and the method of firing/resetting the trigger. Otherwise, I believe we would be hearing many more reports of people double tapping these other pistols with lighter and shorter resets.

Indeed PPQs are noticeably more "flippy" than other manufacturers of same size

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What you have here is a shooter that needs to learn to shoot the PPQ. Your other guns don’t do this because the triggers stink on them. Pick up a 1911 and you will have the same issue. Some guns are more forgiving then others, bit if you can master the PPQ, you will have a hard time ever wanting to shoot any of those ever again 🙂

·
Registered
323 Posts
What you have here is a shooter that needs to learn to shoot the PPQ. Your other guns don’t do this because the triggers stink on them. Pick up a 1911 and you will have the same issue. Some guns are more forgiving then others, bit if you can master the PPQ, you will have a hard time ever wanting to shoot any of those ever again 🙂

All other triggers stink except PPQ? If you say so...I can shoot my PPQ quite well, I just don't prefer the muzzle flip compared to some of my other guns, so it's mainly stuck in back of the safe....emergency use only.

If you can share the 'secret' to learning how to shoot the PPQ as clearly it's 'special', please do and enlighten us.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I'd like to know the experience of the OP as well. I've handed my PPQ to plenty of shooters who never had an issue with it.

I don't think anyone can deny the "this is the most accurate pistol I've ever shot" comments and threads about the PPQ on practically every forum it is discussed in. I don't think there is any other polymer pistol design out there that causes this many of these types of reactions as the PPQ.

The pistol is easy to shoot, and the vast majority of people out there don't have these double tap issues. If it doesn't work for you, just move on, as I did from plenty of other models from other manufacturers.

Not many people make a living off of trigger jobs on these pistols, like they do on many others. Why it took manufactures so long to realize how much of a difference a good trigger makes on a polymer pistol, is beyond me. Look at how many pistols were released with a "good" trigger after the PPQ was released, compared to how many pistols were released with "mediocre" triggers before it. Anyone trying to downplay how easy these pistols are to shoot, how important that is in a defensive pistol, or how good the trigger is, is fighting against reality.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts