Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've shot 8 or 9 different PPQ's 3 which were 45's. On all of them the 45's seem to have a smoother-lighter trigger. Is there a reason for this? Thanks,
Jim D

·
Registered
160 Posts
It just seems smoother after the much bigger bang as compared to the 9mm... ;)
That's my first thought, as well. You feel a lot of things in dry fire, that you don't in live fire. You also feel a lot less when you're handling progressively larger calibers as well.

Tho it could also be differences in the amount of rounds through the guns, plus 45 are gonna blast out the springs a lot more than 9mms are going to. It could also just be differences in the pistols themselves. I've had a pair of Beretta 92FS's that were virtually identical, but I had one that shot better than the other.
Also had a pair of Ruger psomething or another that were the same way, even though I bought both of those at the exact same time. One of them, the hammer was just smoother than the other.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Is there a reason for this?
I suppose I can guess.

The .45ACP is a longer cartridge than the 9mm or .40S&W cartridges. Which means that the magwell on the .45 PPQ pistols must be longer (front to back) than the magwell on the 9mm and .40 pistols.

It is possible that the .45 uses a different trigger bar than the other models, and this different trigger bar may be smoother. If the .45 model uses the same trigger bar, then the trigger pull may be a shorter distance on the .45 model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to jump in on this one b/c I had a similar experience. Quick background - I bought a NIB PPQ M2 5" in 9mm a little over a year ago. Have about 1000 rounds down range. I have been reading this forum since purchase and have done some recommended "takeup grit removal" steps. ie. Slight polish of safety plunger, polish and lube trigger bar where it contacts plunger and in the rear as suggested by Ole Fart. It's way better but still has a little grit during takeup. (Barely noticeable when firing at range.)

About six months ago I went to an indoor range to try a PPQ M2 in .45. I dry fired it a couple of times. There was zero, and I mean zero grit during take up. It was so smooth I thought "perhaps someone in the range had taken out the safety plunger." I asked the guy if he would pull off the slide and the plunger was there. I pressed it down and it popped back up just as it should. BTW - The slide was a mess. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned for some time so there had to be some grime/residue in the plunger channel. I only thing I could think of was that the PPQ M2 .45 maybe comes with a way lighter safety plunger spring. I know it doesn't seem logical, but that's just my 2 cents.

Finally, my PPQ has been flawless from day one and I always get a smile on my face whenever I handle it or fire it. Great balance and ergos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts