Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of an upgrade to the PPQ takedown catch? I wrestle with mine every time. Surely there's a lever that makes the job easier. This is my first complaint about the engineering designs of my PPQ and Q5.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Jshohet, you're obviously doing something wrong. Remove the mag, move and hold the slide rearward about 1/16"...just taking the pressure off the takedown catch. While holding the slide rearward a 1/16th of an inch, push the takedown latch down, hold it down and push the slide forward. That's it.

Real rednecks can press the takedown catch downward without pushing the slide an rch to the rear.

Its a piece-0-cake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 'OldGuy". I found my problem. I rack and lock back the slide and pull down the catch; trigger jumps forward..no problem. However, when I release the slide the catch moves back into its normal position and the trigger jumps back. Slide, of course, is locked in. My simple fix is to hold the trigger forward (with my forefinger) as I release the slide and the catch stays down for slide extraction. Problem solved. Thanks for you help and it's good to know a guy (probably) as old as I am (80) is so alert and sharp. Perhaps there are others that might be helped with this.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Jsh, I left out 'one' important step. The striker 'cannot be cocked' when you attempt to field strip the pistol....meaning, remove the slide. When you lock the slide back you'll cock the striker. There's no need to lock the slide back. Actually, there's no need to push the slide back at all. I do push it back just a hair to take the pressure off the catch.

Try this, make sure the chamber is empty and no magazine in the pistol. Point the pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger, this will ensure the striker is not cocked. Now, simply push down on the take down catch....may require some effort. But if you just muscle it down, the slide will pop forward.

With the slide removed, grab the frame and work the takedown catch up and down....observe the little metal dohickey, its the barrel lock, you'll see it moving up and down as you move the takedown catch up and down. Its the barrel lock that's keeping the slide from coming off the frame. Push down the catch and it'll release the barrel/slide. BUT again, the striker cannot be cocked.

So, to remove the slide, ensure the chamber is empty, no mag in magwell, point the pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger. NOW, you can either muscle the takedown catch down, or to make it easier, just push the slide back about 1/32", hold it there, now push the take down catch down, hold it down and push the slide forward. Dats it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right On 'OldGuy', it works just as you describe. I think how I got it wrong is that every takedown instruction talks about pulling the trigger to de-cock the gun which I interpreted to racking and locking the slide prior working the slide catch. But it's not necessary as you say. A simple 1/8" slide retraction and the catch operates quite well. Also, I've added some grip tape the the slide catch to compensate for the rather weak catch serrations. Again, thanks very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts