Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my youngest daughter to the range today, and I wanted to show off her PPQ shooting skills. Even though she has been shooting various .22 rifles since she was 5-years old, this is the first time that I was able to interest her in shooting a larger caliber handgun. She has been asking about my custom PPQ M2 for a while, and I think that the reduced recoil of the ported barrel finally convinced her to try it.

I have to say that even with the reduced recoil, her wrists are still not developed enough to manage large caliber recoil, but her sight picture management and trigger control are quite good for a first timer.

Happy little shooter!

Here is a video capture of a fireball that erupted from the barrel ports. It can be seen a few inches above and left of the barrel... Very cool!

Proud Dad!

·
Registered
659 Posts
That's really cool. It's great to see the youngsters learning a wonderful skill and having a lot of fun in the process.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Pretty cool that she is willing to try the 9, and it looks like she did well.

That last photo is pretty amazing. I don't think that I have seen that moment captured, especially from that angle.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty cool that she is willing to try the 9, and it looks like she did well.

That last photo is pretty amazing. I don't think that I have seen that moment captured, especially from that angle.
Thanks!

I did capture a couple of them. They are hard to see due to the bright daylight conditions. You can see that they are coming from the added barrel ports and not from the muzzle. If not for the shadow on the ground you might not even see it. Here is another with the flame to the upper left of the barrel...

Reactions: searcher451

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
If you get time, please post some photos of your modified PPQ.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It looks like you have taught her well. I noticed her trigger finger wasn't on the trigger until she was ready. As for her not having the wrist development yet I think the fact that the gun cycled properly shows she had enough to operate the weapon properly.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Thanks, IAOF, somehow missed that thread. Gracias!

g.glass, that is a really nice mod that you did! It is really well done and matches the look of the 5" slide nicely. Can I assume that porting made the Q noticeably louder when firing?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks, IAOF, somehow missed that thread. Gracias!

g.glass, that is a really nice mod that you did! It is really well done and matches the look of the 5" slide nicely. Can I assume that porting made the Q noticeably louder when firing?
Thanks!

The work on the slide was done by Bristol Tool & Die, and it looks like it was done by Walther themselves. I actually Photoshopped a picture of the slide the way I wanted it to be and they milled it exactly right... Great guys to work with.

I'm sure that it is louder, but I can't say that I have noticed the difference. I would say that it is equal to one of my 40 S&W pistols, but not nearly as loud as a .357 Sig pistol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 13-year-old daughter does not like to shoot the PPQ. She has, and she can hit the target, but she doesn't like it. She likes shooting 22's (pistols and rifles), and shooting trap with a 20-ga. But she thinks the PPQ is too loud and has too much recoil.

(I know, I know... how can the PPQ be too loud and have too much recoil, but a shotgun is ok? I think it's partly because we were shooting the PPQ indoors (much louder, esp. compared to 22s), but mostly because, well... nobody said 13yo girls were rational.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome man! I had a similar expierience about a month a go with my 11yr old daughter. Shes killin it with her .22 rifle and says, " Dad can I try the 9mm?". Heck yeah you can! Got the range masters blessing and she was goin at it.
uploadfromtaptalk1427145809402.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts