Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have an SC, I want a longer barrel range gun...
should i be content with an M1 or M2, or save the pennies and go
for the Q5 steel frame.........
what would you do?

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Keep the pennies in your bank account. A polymer Q 4" or 5" is plenty accurate for range work. And the triggers are almost identical. Spend all those extra pennies on ammo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep the pennies in your bank account. A polymer Q 4" or 5" is plenty accurate for range work. And the triggers are almost identical. Spend all those extra pennies on ammo.
thanks, but assuming pennies and ammo aren't the limiting factor..
Is shooting a Q5 steel frame more 'enjoyable' than the poly.....?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat; I have the Q5 Match which I love, but I'm eyeing the Q5 SF because it's new and exciting!

My question is, has anyone moved from the Q5 to the SF and regretted it and/or felt that the upgrade wasn't really worth the extra coin?

One of the factors making me hesitate about the SF is that since I carry the PPQ SC (summer) and PPQ M2 (winter), I figure trigger time on the same polymer platform with the Q5 Match will reinforce muscle memory that would apply across all my polymer frames, as opposed to having my shooting suffer between going from a much heavier gun back to polymer frames. Is that a valid concern or just speculation?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I shoot a P99 and a SF and no, hours spent with the SF aren’t making me any worse with the plastic P99, the ergonomics are very similar and the cross training benefits both guns.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I shoot a P99 and a SF and no, hours spent with the SF aren’t making me any worse with the plastic P99, the ergonomics are very similar and the cross training benefits both guns.

^Exactly that! I carry P99Q ( PPQ with a revolverish triggersystem ) on duty.

Years ago, after I changed my duty G17 into a P99Q, I wanted to minimize the difference between my duty and race weapons. ( At first, in late ´90s early ´00s I was racing with 0.8kg lighting-trigger CZ .40sw and my first duty firearm was a G17, to compare ).

Now Im just shooting the Q5 SF, (PPQ)/P99Q, Glocks and old Q5poly ( as far as pistols go ). Great continuity with the modern Walther 9mm-platform :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't own a SF Q5 or a PPQ Q5, but I did rent them once to compare side by side with my P99AS.

I *really* wanted to like the steel frame - I had been drooling over the pictures for months... but ultimately it was a dud for me. The controls were too hard for me to reach and I didn't really like the way the gun fit in my hand. Combined with being almost 2x the price I decided I was quite happy to keep my P99.

My advice would be, "You gotta shoot it" or at least fingerbang one at the gun counter.

Had I been able to better reach the controls of the weapon I probably would have bought it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Other than having your pockets emptier, the only advantage of an SF over a Q5 is follow up shots...and impressing a few more people at the range.

Going with a PPQ 5” you essentially lose the cut slide. Sure the trigger is blue and the slide is ported.

If you never plan to use an RDS, save your bucks and get a standard 5”

1 - 10 of 10 Posts