Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking to purchase a new 9mm and ended up really liking the PPQ Subcompact. I’ve done a ton of research and the reviews are all great.

Unfortunately, I’ve probably done too much (detailed) research and found several little one off issues (probably not the norm for the SC).

I’m looking for honest feedback from SC owners on manufacturing quality, condition issues after some use (I.e., rust, excessive wear), mechanical malfunctions, etc.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a PPQ SC and, so far, I wish I'd gotten the PPQ instead. I'm currently finding that the selection of holsters and night sights is VERY limited when compared to the 4" PPQ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought a PPQ SC and, so far, I wish I'd gotten the PPQ instead. I'm currently finding that the selection of holsters and night sights is VERY limited when compared to the 4" PPQ.
I’m looking at the LE model so it comes with the metal 3 dot phosphoric night sights. Holsters, I agree. I’ve been researching them as well.

How long have you had yours and any issues with the gun itself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m looking at the LE model so it comes with the metal 3 dot phosphoric night sights. Holsters, I agree. I’ve been researching them as well.

I can't comment on issues. I just took delivery on mine yesterday and haven't even shot it yet. I can say that ergonomics are great (for me) and it fits my hand very well. The trigger seems to be amazing but the sights leave a lot to be desired. I'd also like to find an extended base plate for the 10 round magazine so I could use my pinky finger; it seems so lonely hanging out there is space.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First gun for me, Ive probably put 2000 through it.
ANY feed issue I have had is due to poor lubrication. I clean it after each use, wipe it down nice...lubed correctly it runs great.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I have one and have shot it a fair amount. As justanotherguy says, just keep it cleaned and lubed and you should be good to go.

I have Dawson Precision sights on mind. Tritium front and plain black rear. I sent the gun in to Dawson's for the install as they had not seen a PPQsc before. I was an early adopter I guess.

I agree on the finger-rest mags as well. Just more comfortable to hold and shoot.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Use PPS press fit night sights. Good to go.

I've got the PPQc as well. (refuse to call it a sub compact as it simply is NOT a goddamned subcompact.), and mine has several hundred flawless rounds. I cleaned it, lightly lubed and I mean lightly lubed...just a drop here n' there.

Several places make holsters. Tommy Theis makes an IWB...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my PPQ SC for over a year and have shot 3000+ rounds. I had some FTF issues early on , but attributed it to break in. Then had a few more FTF much later on, disassembled cleaned, and dry lubed the mag and follower. Problem solved. The biggest issue I have with the SC is no one is milling the slide for red dot sights. I corresponded with an outfit in Arizona who hadn't machined a PPQ SC slide, but thought they could do it. I wasn't prepared to pay for the R&D they needed to figure it out, and told them it would be better for me to trade for an optic ready pistol. At 70 years old I shoot at least 30% better at distance with a red dot, and if people can carry a Glock 19 concealed than a 4' PPQ should work as well. All I have to do is wait until Walther gets their act together, and offers a bare 4" optic ready PPQ.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I've had my PPQ SC for over a year and have shot 3000+ rounds. I had some FTF issues early on , but attributed it to break in. Then had a few more FTF much later on, disassembled cleaned, and dry lubed the mag and follower. Problem solved. The biggest issue I have with the SC is no one is milling the slide for red dot sights. I corresponded with an outfit in Arizona who hadn't machined a PPQ SC slide, but thought they could do it. I wasn't prepared to pay for the R&D they needed to figure it out, and told them it would be better for me to trade for an optic ready pistol. At 70 years old I shoot at least 30% better at distance with a red dot, and if people can carry a Glock 19 concealed than a 4' PPQ should work as well. All I have to do is wait until Walther gets their act together, and offers a bare 4" optic ready PPQ.
Good post. Walther is a little behind on the curve on this.

The will purportedly soon offer an optics plate with integral rear sight. A step in the right direction.

But until Walther sees fit to release a "bare" optics ready 4", the only options seems to be to buy the 4" threaded barrel model and then buy a second 4" non-threaded barrel. An expensive proposition.

I'm hoping Walther gets it together and offers optics ready versions of the standard 4" and SC models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got the PPQ SC LE two weeks ago and put 200 rounds through it using 124 gr reloads with 0 issues. I did have to switch back to the small back strap due to blistering on my thumb bone. Maybe I just hold it weird. Great shooting little pistol this is my first sub compactish gun so it was hard not to compare to something full size but still impressed with the felt recoil. Able to do very accurate and fast double taps. The quality and design is outstanding IMO. Not so much for the slide finish but with how well it operates I dont mind that at all.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the gun.

It's a good gun in it's own right. As with any gun that size, particularly with the abbreviated grip, it is going to buck more and be slightly more challenging to control.
Comes with the territory.

·
Registered
248 Posts

I have the PPQ SC LE version. I carry it in a soft holster (sticky) inside my 5.11 holster shirt all the time. The night sights have to be charged up by a Light or Sunlight before they glow in the dark. I keep this gun hanging from my mattress in a mattress holster all night. I have a PPQ M2 4" 9 mm also and it's the best shooting pistol that I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I recently bought a PPQ SC with the Walther installed F8 sights.

Those things look like a watermelon sitting on a fence post! Hard not to see them!

I wouldn't use them in a bullseye match but for a close range defensive gun, they are great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve had my SC for about a month now. It shoots very well after 150 rounds, same great trigger and ergonomics. It has been frustrating with the lack of holsters and sights. I have a Vedder LightTuck and a just ordered a custom Mckinatec sidecar style holster. The 10 round with the pinky extension was still a little too small for my big hands. It felt wrong. So I’ve been carrying with the 15 rounder which kind of defeats the purpose. I wish I had went with the 4 inch. I’m still deciding what sights to get. I’m going to call Dawson and see if they have them after Jimmo sent his in. Also looking at the Trijicon fiber optics and the XS F8’s

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I’ve had my SC for about a month now. It shoots very well after 150 rounds, same great trigger and ergonomics. It has been frustrating with the lack of holsters and sights. I have a Vedder LightTuck and a just ordered a custom Mckinatec sidecar style holster. The 10 round with the pinky extension was still a little too small for my big hands. It felt wrong. So I’ve been carrying with the 15 rounder which kind of defeats the purpose. I wish I had went with the 4 inch. I’m still deciding what sights to get. I’m going to call Dawson and see if they have them after Jimmo sent his in. Also looking at the Trijicon fiber optics and the XS F8’s
I recently picked up another PPQ SC on trade. This one has the factory installed XS F8 sights. Man those things are big!

The F8s look like a watermelon sitting on a fence post! Hard to not see them!

They are not as precise as the Dawson's I have but for close range, quick and dirty work they are great. Great on a defensive pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
In shooting the SCs quite a bit over the last couple of weeks I've go using the ten round mag with no extension or the fifteen round mag.

With the ten round, no extension mags, I can get two fingers on the grip and let the third curl up underneath.

With the finger extension, I can sort of get all my fingers on the grip but not in a natural way. I have to sort of scrunch them up in a slightly unnatural way.

The gun is definitely more controllable with the 15 rounders but can be shot well enough with the ten round "no extension" mags.

I'd like see Walther split the difference with a 12 rounder but who knows if that will happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently picked up another PPQ SC on trade. This one has the factory installed XS F8 sights. Man those things are big!

The F8s look like a watermelon sitting on a fence post! Hard to not see them!

They are not as precise as the Dawson's I have but for close range, quick and dirty work they are great. Great on a defensive pistol.
Would you recommend the Dawson’s or the XS F8’s?

·
Registered
9 Posts
In shooting the SCs quite a bit over the last couple of weeks I've go using the ten round mag with no extension or the fifteen round mag.

With the ten round, no extension mags, I can get two fingers on the grip and let the third curl up underneath.

With the finger extension, I can sort of get all my fingers on the grip but not in a natural way. I have to sort of scrunch them up in a slightly unnatural way.

The gun is definitely more controllable with the 15 rounders but can be shot well enough with the ten round "no extension" mags.

I'd like see Walther split the difference with a 12 rounder but who knows if that will happen.
Definitely shootable but the 10 rounders don’t feel right. I look at the VP9sk, Canik sc, and FNc and can only dream of that 12 or 13 rd extension.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Would you recommend the Dawson’s or the XS F8’s?
I prefer the Dawson's. If I had Dawson's on every PPQ I own, I'd be fine with that.

The F8s are good sights though. They are highly visible which is good but its almost too much of a good thing. They are designed for quick and dirty close in shooting. If you want to also shoot precisely, they are less than optimal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts