Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey folks, I'm new to the scene and just wanted your thoughts. I have a new PPQ SC and I started noticing some small flakes on my hands after shooting. Looks like its dinging up the slide and barrel. Should I be worried about this or is it normal wear and tear?

I don't own a PPQ SC, but on my PPQ M1s and my PPS M2 I have never seen those types of marks on my slides or my barrels - and that is with thousands of rounds fired.

Did you thoroughly lubricate your PPQ SC before firing it?

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
In the picture of the barrel, I can't tell if those 'silver' specks are marks or dings.

In the picture of the inside of the slide, same thing...marks or dings....but they appear 'brass' colored....or maybe its just the lighting.....pretty hard to tell.

Need better photos, as well as more photos of other areas inside the slide/barrel and recoil spring. May need to look at the magazine too.

Have you tried wiping them off with some cleaner? Once again, are they marks or dings?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a lot of brass flakes every time from the very beginning with my Q5. Because I don't know it better, I considered it as normal. Is it? (Until now I've used CCI Blazer Brass and Sellier & Bellot 9 mm with no significant difference.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a higher def photo. I've tried to clean it off but its staying.

Today I shot aluminum cased federal ammo out of it. It has mostly aluminum scratches but you can see brass as well.

It has been cleaned and lubricated after every visit to the range. I was a little concerned as well which is why I reached out to y'all. What do you think? Trying to make more photos of the slide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d3jbuI5E1BJVrhPaMhP7KJFUe82Bqf5h/view?usp=sharing

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Just to confirm....the marks in the images are marks....NOT dings or gouges in the steel? If they're marks (brass or aluminum) they'll clean off with the right cleaner. May have to dab some cleaner on the areas and let it sit for 20 minutes or so to loosen it up. If the marks are 'dings', you've got a problem that needs to be solved.

Every time the slide cycles and there's ammo in the magazine, the loading rail on the bottom of the slide is going to be sliding across the top round in the magazine. Then, when the slide starts returning forward, stripping the top round out of the magazine, the case is going to be dragged forward across the lips of the magazine...scraping a little brass off the case is normal..........just like in the picture Michas posted. That's normal.

Your's, on the other hand seems a little abnormal to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to confirm....the marks in the images are marks....NOT dings or gouges in the steel? If they're marks (brass or aluminum) they'll clean off with the right cleaner. May have to dab some cleaner on the areas and let it sit for 20 minutes or so to loosen it up. If the marks are 'dings', you've got a problem that needs to be solved.

Every time the slide cycles and there's ammo in the magazine, the loading rail on the bottom of the slide is going to be sliding across the top round in the magazine. Then, when the slide starts returning forward, stripping the top round out of the magazine, the case is going to be dragged forward across the lips of the magazine...scraping a little brass off the case is normal..........just like in the picture Michas posted. That's normal.

Your's, on the other hand seems a little abnormal to me.

Yeah, my concern is that these marks are even on the backside of the barrel chamber.

Would #9 work to remove them? I cleaned them with #9 earlier but I didn't let it sit. It doesn't have any indentations just marked. Are pieces of the casing being stripped and getting between the slide and the chamber and rubbing when its cycling?

It's just weird to me because I've never seen it before either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A complaint I have with the PPQ SC is that the loading ramp is two separate pieces. I'm already starting to experience some small issues with cocking where the bullet seems to be catching the ramp. I'm wondering if this is where the issue lies.

This video documents it pretty well.

I'm already starting to experience a catch when I pull it back.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Looking more and more like aluminum/brass marks....not gouges/dings....just marks that'll clean off.

I've got plenty of PPQ's and they'll leave brass marks on the rear portion of the ejection port.....its normal.

The locations you're showing on your SC is a little puzzling. And the marks on the side of the barrel hood.....WTHeck's up with that?

Here's a picture of one of my Q's.....just finished shooting it and haven't cleaned it yet. I think I'm showing the same area you've shown in your photos, and my pistol has NO case marks or flakes of brass....just a little excess oil.:D

In addition, many PPQ's will exhibit brass marks in the area within the red oval. Those marks are normal....however they're not showing up on this gun.

But, pictures of the marks on your pistol leaves me wondering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking more and more like aluminum/brass marks....not gouges/dings....just marks that'll clean off.

I've got plenty of PPQ's and they'll leave brass marks on the rear portion of the ejection port.....its normal.

The locations you're showing on your SC is a little puzzling. And the marks on the side of the barrel hood.....WTHeck's up with that?

Here's a picture of one of my Q's.....just finished shooting it and haven't cleaned it yet. I think I'm showing the same area you shown in your photos, and my pistol has NO case marks of flakes of brass....just a little excess oil.:D

In addition, many PPQ's will exhibit brass marks in the area within the red oval. Those marks are normal....however they're not showing up on this gun.

But, pictures of the marks on your pistol leaves me wondering.

Yes, I'm puzzled as well. How and why would there be case markings and scratches on the opposing side of the barrel chamber when it shouldn't be being exposed. The red area you show makes sense for a lot of dings and inside the slide perhaps when the bullet is being loaded and expelled, but the chamber is not exposed to either of these mechanisms and simply moves back and forth along the slide.

I shot federal ammo brass case and aluminum today and I inspect it everyday. 200 rounds today and this is what happened. Should I call walther? I notice also that my slide is the older style similar to the one in the video I linked where they were having issues cycling...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If those were caused by brass a dedicated copper fouling remover would work better but those don't look like brass to me. Is it possible you got some sand or grit in there ?

It's cased or in my holster and then brought out at the range and set in a stand. Cleaned after every range day and put back up. Well lubricated.
I had flakes on my hands after firing and it looks like pieces of brass and aluminum were doing the damage. No sand or grit in the gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Watched your video.....I think you're ALL over this one. And, it sounds like Walther stepped right up to the plate.
I didn't make that video but saw it before I bought the PPQ SC and was a little concerned.

He got the gun returned and they sent him a brand new one, sending his old to Q/A. He showed pictures of the before and after and the guns loading slide was raised or the second part lowered whereas mine they are both even. If that is tearing the casing and sending shards into the gun its tearing up the slide and barrel.

Either way something is going on here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.