Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to let the forum know that this combination was possible on the PPQ SC and the journey it took to get there. I am a fan of the SC and know some folks are standoffish on it because of the newly designed dual spring striker system. I like the size, weight, balance, feel, the soft way it shoots, the 15 rd mag and that wonderful PPQ trigger. The pistol has such a nice feel for a 15 rd, 3 inch barrel sub compact. In close to 1000 rounds I have had ZERO problems with the weapon.

I am also a huge fan of Red Dots. My 64 year old eyes just are not what they used to be and a young Navy Seal friend suggested I try Reflex Red Dots. Boy was he right! HUGE difference in my shooting....exponential. My Q5 Match with Trijicon Red Dot is simply the best, most accurate striker fired pistol I have ever shot. And I have shot over 20 different striker fired weapons in the last two years. Sigs, H&K’s, S&W’s, Springfield’s, Berretta’s, Glock’s....you name it. Anyway, I have a custom PPS M2 with a Shield RMS with Bill Springer trigger work that I had Mark Housel in North Carolina mount the Shield Red Dot long before Walther made it a “thing” with their own release. It’s a great single stack and easily concealable. I was hoping the PPQ SC could replace it so I could have a much larger Mag capacity....buuuuut it did not have the ability to mount a Red Dot so off to Mark Housel it went.

Hats off to Mark and his patience and design skill! The dual spring striker system leaves very little metal to work with to mount the Shield. Mark designed a special plate with tapered sides that is mounted to the slide and milled into the rear sight well. The Shield mounts to that plate. It is a truly elegant design and Mark was also able to “co-sight” the piece using the Shield’s rear sight notch and a higher front sight blade. The weapon looks like a factory design....not some bolted 3rd party add on.

Lightweight, size, 15rds, ergonomics, low muzzle flip and softer shooter, Red Dot Accuracy, co-witness sights, PPQ trigger, and the gun handles any ammo I throw at it and LOVES my 1000 fps plated bullet reloads that I do the majority of my practice shooting with.

Disadvantages:
Shield RMSc must be removed to change the battery unlike the normal Shield RMS that has a pop out tray. (But heck, my expensive Trijicon on my Q5 Match ALSO has to be removed to change the battery so not really a big disadvantage).

Conclusion:
I like the PPQ SC and recommend it for those who want a smaller concealed Walther but don’t want to give up magazine size and that fabulous PPQ trigger. I have had zero issues with the dual spring striker system and in fact, the gun shoots softer and has less muzzle flip (I believe) because of it. I know pistols are like cars, and everyone has differences on what is right for them. But mix a PPQ SC with a Shield Red Dot and I believe you have a very nice setup.

Mark Housel can be contacted at his Website: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ or by phone: (510) 396-0849‬. For total price contact Mark directly. I was a "one-off" design so your price will be cheaper.

I bought the RMSc sight directly from Shield: https://www.shieldpsd.com/shop-2/rmsc-reflex-mini-sight-compact-4moa. Including shipping from the UK and exchange rate....it was Approx $320 (Americans do not pay the VAT Tax). Took about 10 days to arrive. I believe Brownells and some other vendors are carrying it now, but probably at a bit higher cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will get back to you.

What is the height of the front sight. Looks awesome! Thanks for the tip on the contact f
I am out of town at the moment but as soon as I get back I will measure the blade with my calipers get back to you. It was a standard black suppressor height blade and Mark painted the front phosphorescent orange as that is what I like. I also sent a quick text to Mark asking him but I know he is absolutely buried in work at the moment and it may be my calipers are faster LOL

·
Registered
300 Posts
Very nice.

I could see walther offer the SC with that optic (like the PPS RMsc)
next year or so.

Enjoy that cool setup!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really like this. Love to see how much this would run me. Accuracy looks insane out of such a small barrel.

I just picked up the PPQ SC a few weeks ago and have run quite a few rounds through it. I'm loving it. It's my daily driver.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wanted to let the forum know that this combination was possible on the PPQ SC and the journey it took to get there. I am a fan of the SC and know some folks are standoffish on it because of the newly designed dual spring striker system. I like the size, weight, balance, feel, the soft way it shoots, the 15 rd mag and that wonderful PPQ trigger. The pistol has such a nice feel for a 15 rd, 3 inch barrel sub compact. In close to 1000 rounds I have had ZERO problems with the weapon.

I am also a huge fan of Red Dots. My 64 year old eyes just are not what they used to be and a young Navy Seal friend suggested I try Reflex Red Dots. Boy was he right! HUGE difference in my shooting....exponential. My Q5 Match with Trijicon Red Dot is simply the best, most accurate striker fired pistol I have ever shot. And I have shot over 20 different striker fired weapons in the last two years. Sigs, H&K’s, S&W’s, Springfield’s, Berretta’s, Glock’s....you name it. Anyway, I have a custom PPS M2 with a Shield RMS with Bill Springer trigger work that I had Mark Housel in North Carolina mount the Shield Red Dot long before Walther made it a “thing” with their own release. It’s a great single stack and easily concealable. I was hoping the PPQ SC could replace it so I could have a much larger Mag capacity....buuuuut it did not have the ability to mount a Red Dot so off to Mark Housel it went.

Hats off to Mark and his patience and design skill! The dual spring striker system leaves very little metal to work with to mount the Shield. Mark designed a special plate with tapered sides that is mounted to the slide and milled into the rear sight well. The Shield mounts to that plate. It is a truly elegant design and Mark was also able to “co-sight” the piece using the Shield’s rear sight notch and a higher front sight blade. The weapon looks like a factory design....not some bolted 3rd party add on.

Lightweight, size, 15rds, ergonomics, low muzzle flip and softer shooter, Red Dot Accuracy, co-witness sights, PPQ trigger, and the gun handles any ammo I throw at it and LOVES my 1000 fps plated bullet reloads that I do the majority of my practice shooting with.

Disadvantages:
Shield RMSc must be removed to change the battery unlike the normal Shield RMS that has a pop out tray. (But heck, my expensive Trijicon on my Q5 Match ALSO has to be removed to change the battery so not really a big disadvantage).

Conclusion:
I like the PPQ SC and recommend it for those who want a smaller concealed Walther but don’t want to give up magazine size and that fabulous PPQ trigger. I have had zero issues with the dual spring striker system and in fact, the gun shoots softer and has less muzzle flip (I believe) because of it. I know pistols are like cars, and everyone has differences on what is right for them. But mix a PPQ SC with a Shield Red Dot and I believe you have a very nice setup.

Mark Housel can be contacted at his Website: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ or by phone: (510) 396-0849‬. For total price contact Mark directly. I was a "one-off" design so your price will be cheaper.

I bought the RMSc sight directly from Shield: https://www.shieldpsd.com/shop-2/rmsc-reflex-mini-sight-compact-4moa. Including shipping from the UK and exchange rate....it was Approx $320 (Americans do not pay the VAT Tax). Took about 10 days to arrive. I believe Brownells and some other vendors are carrying it now, but probably at a bit higher cost.

Very nice shooting, and outstanding accuracy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any chance you can record some videos on it? I am seriously considering it but I may need to send my SC in to fix an issue before I commit to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Front Sight Height

@Yankchef Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you...was on a long trip. My calipers measure the front sight height at .270 but it's kinda hard to truly measure unless I remove the sight so I might be off a very minor amount like .001 - .005 or so.

@Allan Sorry bud. I just don't do videos because of privacy concerns. But would be happy to answer any and all questions via PM.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Factory red dot setups are the new wave. Prices have come down so much on optics that most shooters including me want the option to run them on many of my handguns. Companies are going to have to offer them.

Reactions: johnrr6

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red dots are the answer for old goats suffering from CSS.
That be me....:)

I actually did not think it would make that much of a difference....

I was wrong....huge difference as I was no longer fussing with special contacts or special eye glasses prescriptions just for shooting....

Simple, Red Dot on target.....squeeze

They are great for really accurate target shooting but what really surprised me is how they improved my rapid fire shooting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Based upon this thread I just swapped my Deltapoint pro out with a Shield RMS. I like the fact that it will co-witness with the iron sights but the adjustments are not as precise as the DPP was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm an old goat who's been using red dot sights since the advent of the early Aim Points. I've got J points mounted on my Buckmark, SRH 454, and S&W 329PD. I'd really like to have one on my SC, but Mark said he couldn't machine the PPQ SC slide for a red dot sight. What gives?

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
I'm an old goat who's been using red dot sights since the advent of the early Aim Points. I've got J points mounted on my Buckmark, SRH 454, and S&W 329PD. I'd really like to have one on my SC, but Mark said he couldn't machine the PPQ SC slide for a red dot sight. What gives?
What happened is, Walther changed the internal design of the PPQ SC slide.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Call him back

I'd really like to have one on my SC, but Mark said he couldn't machine the PPQ SC slide for a red dot sight. What gives?
@454casull When Mark did my SC it was the first one that he had attempted and he told me that the tolerances were very, VERY tight. He also had to manufacture a specific plate designed by himself in order to make the SC work for a Red Dot. He also was busy as heck at the time but he came through as peomised.

He may have decided that there is too much work or too much risk involved to do with it again.

Try calling him back and mentioning this post and that he has already done one for me and I was extremely happy.

I did have to remove the new striker mechanism myself as he was reluctant to deal with it being so new. I got the schematics and talked with a Walther tech and the process was easy enough but you will need to reassemble that part when he he returns the slide

Good Luck!

And for those still worried about that new striker mechanism.....I have close to 5000 rounds through my SC and have had no problems and I am shooting reloads to boot. If anything...this smaller piece shoots softer with this new striker than other similar models.

Shot with my SC this morning at the Range, 50 Ft 2-15 rd extended magazines Deliberate Fire about 2-3 seconds between shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Red Dot for Walther PPQ SC

I sent another e-mail to Mark asking if he would machine my PPQ SC slide for a red dot sight, and I didn't hear back. I checked his web site again, and it now states he doesn't machine PPQ SC slides. As an aside, I finally cleaned the Dot Torture target with iron sights. It took 9 attempts over a couple months. It'd been a h*ll of allot easier with a red dot, even so the PPQ SC will remain my EDC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts