Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got a PPQ SC and I've noticed that the 10-round mag catches on the mag release a lot more than my other PPQs (PPQ 4", Q5 SF), or my S&W M&P.

This only happens with the 10-round magazine (both the included one and other 10-round mags ordered separately). It doesn't happen with the 15-round mag.

When it catches on the mag release, while having forward pressure during inserting the mag, the mag gets stuck and cannot be inserted more. If there's no forward pressure, the mag inserts like normal. If I press the mag release button, the mag will get unstuck and insert like normal.

I've attached two photos that shows the forward pressure and at what point it gets stuck.

Is anyone else noticing this with their PPQ SC using 10-round mags?

Is there anything I can do to make the mags get stuck less? Or will this situation improve by just wearing it down?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Remove the slide, remove the guts out of a magazine, now gently insert the magazine as your looking (from the top) to see what the mag may be hitting.

I'm thinking the right corner of the mag is making contact with the bottom edge of the mag button/catch.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Remove the slide, remove the guts out of a magazine, now gently insert the magazine as your looking (from the top) to see what the mag may be hitting.

I'm thinking the right corner of the mag is making contact with the bottom edge of the mag button/catch.

Be wise and listen to the Walther Wizard.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes, it gets stuck on the mag release / catch, as I suggested in the OP.

This only happens with the 10-round magazines. Not the 15-round magazines, they easily slide right over.

I've added more pictures with slide removed so it's easier to see how the 10-round magazine may get caught but not the 15-round magazine.

Is there anyone for me to fix this? So that 10-round mags slide in as easily as 15-round mags?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
To suggest something is one thing.....to verify is another. Yep, you've now verified the corner of the 10 round mag is hitting the bottom of the mag catch.

Its clear to see that the rounded contour on the top front of the 10 and 15 round mags are a little different.

I've used various brands of mags in my PPQ's. The Beretta 30 round mags will insert and run perfectly in an M1 (paddle mag release), but will hang up in the M2. Very same problem you're having. The workaround was simple....insert the mag until it hits the mag catch, then push the button and continue inserting.

Or, do what another guy did that I sold one of these Beretta mags to. Remove the button catch and put a chamfer on the bottom of the catch. The corner of the 10 round mag will now hit the chamfer and you can push the mag in as usual.

Looks like the factory 10 round mags, or at least, the one/s you have may be out of spec. You might want to contact Walther and tell them what's going on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To suggest something is one thing.....to verify is another. Yep, you've now verified the corner of the 10 round mag is hitting the bottom of the mag catch.
Yup, thanks.

The workaround was simple....insert the mag until it hits the mag catch, then push the button and continue inserting.
Yeah, that's what I wrote in my OP - "If I press the mag release button, the mag will get unstuck and insert like normal."

Remove the button catch and put a chamfer on the bottom of the catch.
Sounds interesting. Using a metal file or something to change its shape?

Looks like the factory 10 round mags, or at least, the one/s you have may be out of spec. You might want to contact Walther and tell them what's going on.
Yeah, this is all brand new factory stuff. This pistol and the mags were sent to me straight from Walther just a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even had the time to shoot it yet. I'll contact them about it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Yeah, this is all brand new factory stuff. This pistol and the mags were sent to me straight from Walther just a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even had the time to shoot it yet. I'll contact them about it.
Is your mag marked as a 9mm mag?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your mag marked as a 9mm mag?
Yes. It's marked "CAL 9mm, PPQ M Series".

The pistol comes with one 10-round mag and one 15-round mag. Only the 10-round mag has this issue. I have also purchased a couple of more 10-round mags (official Walther mags and identical to the one I already had) and they also exhibited this issue.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Have you tried contacting Walther? If all of the 10rd mags are exhibiting this behavior on your pistol, they shouldn't have too much trouble replicating the issue when they test the pistol.

I would do that first. If for some reason they're of no help, I would go to a local gun shop with one of the 10rd mags with this issue, and test them on another PPQsc. If the other pistol didn't suffer from this issue, I'd order another mag release from Walther or Earl to see if that fixes things. If the other pistol did suffer from this issue, I'd alter the factory mag release by putting a very slight angle on the surface that was catching.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you tried contacting Walther? If all of the 10rd mags are exhibiting this behavior on your pistol, they shouldn't have too much trouble replicating the issue when they test the pistol.

I would do that first. If for some reason they're of no help, I would go to a local gun shop with one of the 10rd mags with this issue, and test them on another PPQsc. If the other pistol didn't suffer from this issue, I'd order another mag release from Walther or Earl to see if that fixes things. If the other pistol did suffer from this issue, I'd alter the factory mag release by putting a very slight angle on the surface that was catching.
I've talked to Walther. I'm going to have to send mine in.

I've tested this with 3 different people, 2 different PPQ SC pistols, 5 different 10-round mags. They all reproduce this issue where the mag gets stuck on the mag release button and can't be fully inserted no matter how much force you use.

Note that the 15-round mags are fine. They insert smoothly.

I don't think it's a problem with the mag release button - it's the 10-round mags that aren't manufactured properly.

A proper long-term fix would be for Walther to change the manufacturing of these 10-round mags so that they look exactly like the 15-round mags at the top.

A proper short-term workaround could be to file one corner of each mag and maybe bang on it with a hammer a couple of times to make it more curved and smooth.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so Walther is sending my PPQ SC back to me, without having made any changes to either the pistol or the mags.

They say they were able to replicate the issue of the 10-round mag getting stuck, when inserting the mag at the angle where the mag corner will bind with the mag release catch.

But they say they are:

"unable to perform custom modifications to any part of the gun. Custom modifications will fall to an outside source and will void the warranty on the firearm. Under normal reloading procedures, this issue is nonexistent and is not a defect in its design."

Hmm...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts