Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not so much a failure as an observation of shooting style change. I just went to range because I need to qualify my new PPQ 40 next week for off duty. I shoot a HK USP 40 for work and love this gun but its size and weight can be a pain to carry all the time. I had a PPQ put in my hand and loved it from day one.

I ordered the 40 calibre to maintain same size ammo for practice, first thing I want to say is I love the weapon but there is some transition time to get use to it. The 40 caliber has a good amount of kick compared to the 9mm weapon in this style something to think about when you buy yours. Try to shoot both, staying on target at this point quickly is difficult at this point because I had to change my grip style.

While firing on range yesterday, I am a lefty.... Main reason I love gun, slide release did not lock open initially when weapon was dry. I realized after a few moments that my hand grip is high, and thumbs rest next to slide release lock and it is a very sensitive release.

So now I am paying more attention on next rounds / clip fired. I am not locking back the slide by accident trying to stay off slide release. I had to make several adjustments and be aware of my thumbs to stay away from slide release lock on this weapon to get it to run perfect. This caused some in consistant shooting on my part.

Weapon, great weapon... But there is a learning curve with me since my hands are bigger, I am considering changing grips in back to see if it helps.

Anyone else notice this issue? How did you resolve the problem?

·
Premium Member
13,807 Posts
Yep, PPQ is SWEET....I'm sure you'll adapt in record time. As for someone with big hands shooting the PPQ, have you watched this video. Ole Wild Bill's got Big ole hands and doesn't have any problems....I kept wanting the camera to change positions and look over his left shoulder to give a better view of his grip....and yes, where/how he positions his thumbs. Bottom line, I think this guy can shoot dingle berries off a gnats arse at 300 yards.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/21200-hickok45-shoots-ppq-again.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had the same issues. But every gun requires something different for the grip. 1911 I have thumb over safety, with HK's the safety is so big it actually pains my thumb joint a bit so I put the thumb underneath instead, with the PPQ I actually ride my thumb ON the slide release, right along side of it, like I am pushing it into the weapon. that has proved to be the best position on the grip to keep it from interfering with locking back the slide. The HKP30 is the same way. Glocks really, are the only guns that seem to like any grip I use, but then there are other things about them that don't work as well for me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had this issue with the P2000 on duty. I just dealt with it. Oddly I don't have this issue often with the PPQ. Run that trigger, and if it clicks, dump your magazine. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Let the wife select what you get her, be it a PK380 or a PPS ... or something else entirely. Picking a firearm out and then handing it to your wife is an exercise in futility and frustration; take it from someone who knows.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nthsand,
You mention the 40 has a good amount of kick, how does the 40 PPQ compare with your 40 USP?

A good deal has been dicussed about the amount of PPQ's muzzle flip which I don't agree with, do you think the muzzle flip is excessive compared to the USP taking in consideration the USP is a heavier gun?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Let the wife select what you get her, be it a PK380 or a PPS ... or something else entirely. Picking a firearm out and then handing it to your wife is an exercise in futility and frustration; take it from someone who knows.
Mine had problems racking the slide on simi auto's picked a 5 shot 2" bbl. aluminum frame S&W 38 spl. Took it to the range bought a box of Ammo. shot it five rounds. Stopped said I hate this handgun. Never touched it again, I even bought some Houge grips to make it feel better. She would not again even touch or again shoot it. It now sits in the safe.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Mine had problems racking the slide on simi auto's picked a 5 shot 2" bbl. aluminum frame S&W 38 spl. Took it to the range bought a box of Ammo. shot it five rounds. Stopped said I hate this handgun. Never touched it again, I even bought some Houge grips to make it feel better. She would not again even touch or again shoot it. It now sits in the safe.:rolleyes:
This story has a ring of familiarity about it ... except rather than letting it sit in the safe, I sold the revolver in question. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because the PPQ is a smaller frame than the HK USP it seems to have a good amount but I have only put 100 rounds through it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts