Walther Forums banner

Steel or Polymer?

PPQ Q5 purchase

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  ameridap 
#1 ·
I'm really looking hard at getting a Q5. Can't decide whether to go for full steel or the polymer. I don't shoot competitively so that's not a consideration. I would appreciate any thoughts.

#2 ·
If you are not interested in competition, consider the Walther Q4 steel frame. Youtube has a video comparison of the two and the Q4 is equal or better in some categories. Some consider the steel frame heavy at 43 oz but I don't find that the case and the weight assists with recoil management. The feel of the Q4 in your hand is exquisite.

#18 ·
You cracked me up……so funny!!!!!! Edited the post…but after 3 minutes I am still laughing…reposting….
At least it wasn’t my wife who ran away.

I had actually bought the Q 5 polymer version but returned it because my wife needed a CCW more so we got her the PDP compact.

The black tie also turned me into a hypocrite which my wife and oldest son find hilarious.

#8 ·
Well... The other obvious addition is an optic cut...There may be more differences, but I'm not sure. Although I do own one... I'll have to research that...
They also ship with one 15 rd and two 17 rd. +2 mags
As far as I know, those are the only differences.

#9 ·
Congratulations, the guns you are considering are stellar choices and it would be hard to go wrong with either pick.

Since you're not going to carry the pistol the next biggest consideration, IMO, is whether you want the paddle or button magazine release. If you want the paddle release you'll have no choice but to go with a polymer version.

If you're okay with a button then it's still a toss up but I'd lean towards the steel frame. It's quite a bit more money but they are awesome pistols and that extra weight really helps soak up the recoil and keep you on target. It also elevates the gun from "just another poly-pistol" to something really quite special.

#12 ·
Polymer.

I have two polymers and a SF. The steel hefty is not as much of a benefit shooting as I kinda read it would be.

Then get it in the correct M1 release :)

If you go SF, the Pro makes no sense for cost and I'd avoid it for it's 18rnd mag specific problem that is for a $100 retail priced mag well.

#25 ·
I have to disagree completely. I shoot USPSA competition and the steel frame makes a huge difference. If you only shoot 1000 rounds a year then maybe you can't feel the difference, but if you shoot daily and put 5- 10k rounds down range a year at speed then yes you can feel the difference, sight tracking, recoil, and followup shots are much faster.

#13 ·
Fun at the range, enjoy objective…good, my 2 cents next….…..yes all others mentioned are great and after my Q5SF pro purchase (dreams of competition a year ago but life got to me) as a collector of post war all steel Walther only I contemplated for my second ”modern” piece the Q5 polymer, Q4SF, TAC PDP…. anyhow indeed all great but as mentioned what you want it for……enjoy, same here for me…..well thats the Q5SF. I dare to say, no I am sure, the most accurate of all the fore mentioned , I put optics on mine and some other goodies after deciding that none of the previous ones will fulfill my enjoyment purpose for it, will post soon my upgraded version…..anyhow after shooting members of my walther collectibles (and CCW) all of them steel post war at the end of my regular practice session I turn to my only new modern Walther the Q5SF….every time I start thinking about it way before I get to it……..its just crazy how it shoots almost like a .22, what a tremendous joy at the range, rapid fire short medium range and at 25 yards, guys with the AR rifles next to me always look and cannot belief what I do with this Q5 SF!!……and I belief I am still a beginner (started late in life, Trump to blame)….its freaking awesome…..range officers always congregate behind me ….I let them shoot it and the smiles and gratitude…I forget time till I either run out of ammo or the RO tells me closing is coming up……its superb…..you want to enjoy…….do it and you will have NO REGRETS…..

Hope this helps :cool: …oh I got my eye on a second one….always a spare of what you truly like.

#15 ·
I have both the polymer Q5 Match and the Q5 SF and have a slight preference for the polymer.

The Q5 SF has a larger grip circumference which reduces the reach for my short fingers. This means that occasionally I am unable to deactivate the trigger safety. The Q5 SF is the only handgun with a trigger dingus where this happens to me. It shouldn't be an issue for someone with normal sized hands.

#19 ·
I'm really looking hard at getting a Q5. Can't decide whether to go for full steel or the polymer. I don't shoot competitively so that's not a consideration. I would appreciate any thoughts.
I own a Q5 SF, i use it when a compete in carry optics. It weigths around 43oz empty. Way to heavy to carry. But remenber even the polymer one its a full size frame. But if you just want it to have it around and use it on the range sometimes, go steel, you wont regret it.

#20 ·
I have the Q5 and the Q5 SF (which I took to the range today). Both are wonderful. If it’s just for fun, I’d get the polymer. Very accurate. Costs a lot less. You can shot a lot of rounds with the money you save.
If money is not a big hurdle for you, then definitely get the SF. I am amazed at that weapon. Very accurate. The Q4 is in my future, too. I have 7 PPQs and really enjoy them.

#21 ·
You may have already made a choice but FIW I made the same decision a couple of weeks ago.

I prefer all metal pistols - just find most polymer guns feel top heavy to me.

Not so the Q5 match polymer. Not only did it feel more balanced than other polymers I looked at, but the grip fit great and my only reservation was the paddle mag release. This turned out to be a non-issue - in fact I really like this feature.

My final decision was to go with the polymer because it felt more comfortable in my hand and, since I shoot at an outdoor range and in the open AZ desert, could not justify to myself to spend more for the SF.

#26 ·
Last weekend I went with some buds in the GA mountains, one has a cabin with some land sloping downhill……….100+ range to enjoy…….at my indoor range 25 yards was no issue to hit consistently close or in the 10 with my optic on it……….well after going through some PPK enjoyment my buds pulled their ARs and rifles and we placed water bottles and left over cans we emptied the night before……..at 100 yards………..they had so much fun…….I did not bring a riffle…..I pulled my Q5 SF, no upgrades applied yet
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Wood

……shot number 5 first bottle flying……..could not belief……must be luck…….5 minutes later my next 5 shots………….1st, 3rd, 4th,……3 bottles gone……standing no bench rest…I love my SFQ5! Amazing…..its the gun not me trust me.

Time to get all my upgrades I collected on this wonderful specimen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.