Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a PPQ Q5 Match and I am a newbie with semi-automatic pistols, I used to shoot revolvers years ago. I rented one of these and shot it before purchasing one and I didn't have any issues with it. Thus far I have only been to the range once with mine. At the time the only bullets I had been able to find were American Eagle suppressor bullets, 124 gr. I was told by the clerk that the velocity is slower with these bullets. Well, I have to say it was probably the worst I've ever shot. I'm not sure if it was me and how I was holding it or if it was these bullets, or the sight is off. I also had 4 or 5 jams. Any one have any experience with these bullets?

I later found another box of bullets, Federal Ammunition Ultra Target & Range. I didn't notice it when I bought it, but later I saw on the back it says "Not for law enforcement use" and "Not for use in firearms with ported barrels or ported recoil compensators." I don't believe the Q5 has a ported barrel, if I understand correctly what that is, but I'm not sure if I am ok to use this ammo with my pistol. The velocity is 1125 at the muzzle and energy is 323 and it is 115 gr. Not sure why law enforcement can't use it. The manual says not to use +P+ ammo and discourages P+, but I don't see those designations on the box. But the "Ultra" made me wonder if that is like "Plus". Any idea if I am ok to use this? I can't find any definitive info, but maybe I don't know what to look for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good ammo. Not hot at all, it is target ammo. No the barrel is not ported on the Q5. The subsonic's you fired likely need a suppressor to function properly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"Suppressor" rounds only means they're subsonic. The Federal site says 1030fps muzzle velocity. That's slow enough to cause issues cycling without a suppressor on a new gun with stock recoil spring.

The ultra target and range ammo use a full metal jacket (FMJ) bullet. LE's typically use hollow points. The muzzle velocity is fine for range work. "Ultra" sounds like marketing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far I've used Geco 115gr JHP and S&B 124 FMJs in my Q5SF 9mm with very good results. Tried the Federal 124 Syntech over the weekend but at 25m it was quite disappointing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I tend to prefer 124 and 147 grain loads with the flat tip bullet profile. Planning to do some comparisons with a red dot sight to eliminate sight picture errors but the great ammo panic has reduced availability so its postponed until I can get a good selection. PPQ's in general don't seem to picky about ammo, can't recall when or if I have ever had any failure with standard pressure ammo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Suppressor" rounds only means they're subsonic. The Federal site says 1030fps muzzle velocity. That's slow enough to cause issues cycling without a suppressor on a new gun with stock recoil spring.

The ultra target and range ammo use a full metal jacket (FMJ) bullet. LE's typically use hollow points. The muzzle velocity is fine for range work. "Ultra" sounds like marketing.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So far I've used Geco 115gr JHP and S&B 124 FMJs in my Q5SF 9mm with very good results. Tried the Federal 124 Syntech over the weekend but at 25m it was quite disappointing.
I have tried both 124 and 150 syntec, 124 sucks, not consistent at 20 yds. But the 150 shot great ,1 1/5 in groups at 20yds from a gun vise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ditto on the 150 syntech. Soft shooting and plenty accurate in my Q5. Handloads are 147 plated at 900-950 FPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
150 Syntec is great stuff....if you can afford it.. $$, before the shortage! My 147gr. coated FP's do a pretty good job of mimicking Syntec at about .105 cents each, BUT, The Syntec IS still softer. I'd like to find the powder they're using in Syntec to get the velocity and soft recoil it has. My handloads run about 900fps using VV N-320 but the 150 Syntec I put over the chrono ran almost 1000 and felt even softer!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Q5 Match SF seems to function with anything so far. Just fired a steel plate match today and used a mix of reload 115's and factory 147's. It didn't balk at anything; ran like a sewing machine for 100 rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts