Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting old I can no longer compress the spring enough to get the push rod back on the slide after cleaning. I have noticed the plastic black end seems worn at the edges all around the circumference. This end keeps sliding off as I try to compress from the blue end. Do I need a new rod? If so, does it come with the blue and black end? Will I need a new spring, and are softer springs available that will work? I need some suggestions here. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Replace your recoil spring assembly. From what you are describing, sounds like you are not seating the assembly properly during reassembly.

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
I'm really not sure I understand your problem. Something about the 'black' end keeps sliding off as you try to compress from the blue end.

OK, the black end goes into a recess in the font of the slide....there's nowhere for the black end to slide off or out of place as it's captured within the recess in the front of the slide. Now, if you mean the spring keeps coming off the black end, its time to replace your recoil guide rod assembly.

Normally, once your got the black end inserted into the front of the slide you've only got to compress the spring about 1/10" to get the blue end to drop down into the notch.

If you want to replace recoil guide rod assembly, call Walther Arms at 479-242-8500 EXT 507 and order a new a new one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you’re trying to reinstall it backwards. The blue end should go onto the barrel and the black end in the slide. Like Old Fart said, there is nothing for the black end to slide off of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank you old fart for the thorough explanation. First of all, I was doing it backwards. I was putting the blue end toward the muzzle and trying to compress the black end into the shiny notch at the other end, but the black end kept sliding off. As I previously said, that black plastic button no longer has nice sharp edges. They are worn off all around the circumference. So now I tried, as you said, and put the black end toward the muzzle and tried to compress the spring from the blue end into the notch. But apparently I just no longer have the strength in my thumb to compress the spring. When this virus thing ends I will see if my son in law can do it. Unless there is a secret way to compress that spring. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you’re trying to reinstall it backwards. The blue end should go onto the barrel and the black end in the slide. Like Old Fart said, there is nothing for the black end to slide off of.
Wait a minute. That’s what I was originally trying to do. I thought old fart said do just the opposite, so that’s what I just tried but couldn’t do. Now I’m really confused about the proper method. Must be my thumb strength, !!!

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
Okay, the black end goes in the front end, the end with the site on it. The blue end is pointing toward the rear and fits in a 'notch' in the bottom of the barrel.

Here's a picture. Black end goes in the front of the slide. Blue end goes toward the rear. Once you've inserted the black end into the front of the slide, you really only have to push/compress the spring about 1/16" to get the blue end to drop down into the lug in the slide.

As for the black end being a little worn. As long as the spring stays on the rod and doesn't come off (over the mangled black end) you're OK. If the spring comes off the rod, then its time for a new assembly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG!!! What an idiot!!! I was actually trying to put it between the barrel and the striker foot. No wonder I couldn’t compress the spring enough to get it in there. I had not shot the gun in a long time and apparently totally lost my mind in that amount of time. That’s my defense and I’m sticking to it. Reassembly is simple when you put it where it goes. No wonder you all couldn’t understand what I was trying to say. My apologies to everyone who read my stupid post. SORRY!

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
That's okay baklash. I've been having trouble remembering things for quite some time now. My daughter keeps telling me I have CRS......she say's that's Can't Remember errr', uhhh, errr' Stuff. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
I sure feel ya there, Baklash and fart. They say memory is the second thing to go; I forgot what the first one was. What I DO know is my memory is the second shortest thing I have!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts