Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I have the Trijicons on a .40S&W P99, and it was the same as the stock sights for me. Again, that is the .40S&W and it was an early gen-1 model. Take that for what it's worth.
Thanks Mig, i have a .40 cal PPQ and i think im getting confused by what works on p99s vs what can be used on the ppq (many of these sights are interchangeable - i just dont want to alter my POA/POI)...

which front sight # comes on the PPQ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, I went back and read about 19 Pgs on this topic, and I think the trijicons will work just fine w my .40 ppq...thanks to Mig for documenting all of this!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Jonm61, check out the My Front Sight Fell Off thread:

That pretty much describes my sights too.

Edit: After this post I did a little experiment. I was loath to take the front sight off for obvious reasons despite having a 1.3mm Allen Head in my toolbox (I don't happen to have any blue Loctite). But the rear sight is easy, so I took that one off. It is very magnetic so it is certainly NOT polymer. And it is adjustable for windage.

Second edit: the point about leaving the drift screw in the rear sight while checking magnetic response I thought was a good catch. I had thought that little mass would make no difference. Took it out and sure enough, the sight is polymer and very little mass which is why the screw dominated the first response. Also took the front off and it too is polymer. The front is a #4, not #3, however, as originally stated.
I'm glad you did that and put that part to rest!

As far as the 3 vs 4, there was much discussion early on in the PPQs life about it coming with #3 vs the P99 coming with #4 and the different sight pictures to achieve the same POI. Perhaps Walther changed it somewhere along the way. I haven't really paid that much attention to it in a while.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rear (The # on the rear sight designates the notch width, not height)
2710170 3.8mm #1 Steel
After reading the above, I contacted S&W and was informed that the sight is unavailable at this time. However if one were able to acquire and install it, the sight picture would tighten, and the light bars surrounding the front sight would narrow.

Item 2732106, the #2 steel sight was also unavailable. I was given no word on when/if this would change.

I also contacted Hi-Viz for sight dimensions if you would like to include it in the original post. Height = .180, Width = .125

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
After reading the above, I contacted S&W and was informed that the sight is unavailable at this time. However if one were able to acquire and install it, the sight picture would tighten, and the light bars surrounding the front sight would narrow.

Item 2732106, the #2 steel sight was also unavailable. I was given no word on when/if this would change.

I also contacted Hi-Viz for sight dimensions if you would like to include it in the original post. Height = .180, Width = .125
I contacted earls repair service and he said it would be no problem to get them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really like the profile of the factory steel sights I have seen pictures of here. I am not even really interested in night sights.

So if I wanted the shortest rear sight with the smallest notch - that would be the 2710170. Correct? What would be the matching front sight?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I really like the profile of the factory steel sights I have seen pictures of here. I am not even really interested in night sights.

So if I wanted the shortest rear sight with the smallest notch - that would be the 2710170. Correct? What would be the matching front sight?
The front sight selection would be the same for the #1 or #2 rear sight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just FYI - My new PPQ 9mm came with the #4 front sight (polymer) and was manufactured Oct. 2011. It has always shot just a tad bit high so I had to compensate with a sight picture that dipped the front dot ever-so-slightly lower than the rear dots on either side to get hits on point-of-aim.

I just recently replaced them with Meprolight 18800 night sights and after some bench rest testing I am pleased to report the hits are exactly center of the front dot when a proper sight picture of the 3 horizontally aligned dots are used. (The new front sight is also visibly taller than the original).

I have also noted that both the standard 115gr. FMJ ammo, and the 124gr +P JHP Gold Dots seem to hit very close to center of aim. However, the subsonic 147gr. ammo I got from Atlanta Arms for IDPA competition will hit the paper about an inch higher on average at 9 to 11 yards.

I have discovered that the slower moving bullet exits the barrel at a later point in time during the recoil cycle, and due to muzzle flip, will exit as the muzzle climbs from initial point of aim. This discovery leads me to believe that the slower velocity bullet, while decreasing felt recoil, has an equal disadvantage in that the hits will be inconsistent. I've found that during rapid fire when trigger control is slightly loose, there is slightly more muzzle flip and the shots land higher. Conversely, when I get a really good grip and stance to compensate for the muzzle flip, it's effect is minimal and the shots land closer to the point of aim.

All in all, I think the best ammo for IDPA might not be the more expensive, slower moving loads from Atlanta Arms. Rather, the cheaper 115gr. standard loads are more consistent - even with a varying amount of muzzle flip.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am trying to match a rear sight to a Dawson front fiber optic sight. Dawson says their sight is .180 inch which my handy converter says is 4.572 mm.

Having read the sticky thread on Walther sight parts that was compiled from the parts list by our members, I believe the the sizes listed for the two rear sights they offer relate to notch width not the height of the sight. Does anyone have any idea what the two Walther and other rear sites are height wise?

XS sights tells me their rear sight, which is on my gun now is .220" or 5.588 mm.

If I read the info. in our thread correctly the #5, tallest steel sight, is only 4.1 mm.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You are correct, the Walther sites are sized by the notch width. The vertical plan is adjusted by the front sight heigth.

I need to buy a good set of calipers so I can measure the height as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do not see any way we can solve the issues regarding these sights until we know the height of both front and rear sights. I probably need a Caliper for woodworking, but I don't have all the sights. I'm not even sure how one would take the reading? There is the thickness of the sights and then there is how high they sit from the slide of the gun. On the front sight the two may be the same. On the rear there is the dovetail and the mechanism that holds the sight in place, which certainly effect the height the sight is above the top of the slide.

I want that Dawson fiber optic sight but it want do me much good if I have no idea where I will be shooting once I put it on. Maybe there is not enough difference in sight heights (.180 vs .220 for instance) to make a huge difference at the POI?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
A small difference in sight height will make a difference in your POI; the greater the distance, the bigger the difference.

In a .18 vs .22, at self defense ranges, 7-10 yards, as long as you're shooting center mass, probably not a problem. Anything over that, and you're going to start having problems.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So, I went to Lowes and bought the best set of calipers they had ($30-$40). On the box it claims accuracy to 0.0001"

I measured my sights, but the front sights were hard to measure because of the protrusion on the bottom and the girth of the caliper prongs.

My P99 came with #3-#6 front sights.

I measured as best as I could from where the sight would sit on the top of the slide to the top of the sight.

Walther P99 Gen1 Factory Sights
#6 .206" 5.24mm
#5 .183" 4.64mm
#4 .173" 4.41mm
#3 .156" 3.95mm
Rear ears .206" 5.25mm
Rear center .125" 3.19mm

Trijicon rear ears .249" 6.34mm
Trijicon rear center .123" 3.13mm

I forgot to measure my Trijicon front. If I don't sell or trade the P99 today at the gunshow I'll measure the front.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dawson Precision manufactures fiber and tritium front sights similar in height to the Walther #4 front sight. (.180 vs .177)

Dawson Precision also manufactures a rear sight to match the aforementioned front, leading me to believe it is similar in height to the Walther polymer rear sight. The rear notch is narrower for those who wish more of a "bullseye" sight picture that is "tighter" regarding the sight relationship.

More dimensions are listed on their website.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeeea, maybe all the pleading & begging payed off!

I just ordered my rear sight I had the front sight. It looks like they only have one in inventory, if I am reading their info correctly. Would be nice to buy them out right after they stock them.

I finally got my XS Big Dot installed and like it too. I had to order a second front XS sight as the first one got buggered by me & then ruined by my gun smith. The installation instructions were missing information leading me to make an incorrect assumption....

My only issue with the Dawson front fiberoptic sight is it does not work at night. Well at least it does not collect enough light at night. I believe shinning a flashlight near it may solve the issue though. Now I have the target oriented Dawson sight and the faster arguably less accurate at distance XS sight to play with.

Now all we have to do is talk Dawson into providing some sort of night vile insert for their front sight. Although I suspect a Trijicon vile will not fit in the same hole as the small plastic fiber optic. Probably a night version would mean a whole new sight.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Added Dawson Precision sight heights and widths as well as the official numbers from the Trijicon website for both PPS style and P99 style sights.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts