Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Questions on factory sights come up from time to time, so I compiled this list.

Citing information from these three sources I compiled a list.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/18881-front-sight-does-ppq-come.html
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/18659-rear-sight-other-than-2-a-2.html
http://www.carl-walther.de/public/downloads/manuals/2784467_f_ET_PPQ.pdf <-- PPQ Parts List
http://www.carl-walther.de/public/downloads/manuals/2688450_i_ET_P99_AS.pdf <-- P99 Parts List

Note: PS means Phosphor sights

What size front sights come with the P99?

Four front sights come with every P99, and are marked with a single digit on the top-front of the blade. Their heights, measured from the base of the sight to its top, are as follows:
#3 = 4.2mm
#4 = 4.5mm
#5 = 4.8mm
#6 = 5.1mm

Two additional front sight heights exist, as follows:
#1 = 3.6mm
#2 = 3.9mm These additional front sight heights are used by the new Smith & Wesson SW99 chambered in .45 Auto.

UPDATE The following is from the P99 official parts list linked at the top, parts listed immediatly above this section may be an obsolete list
Front
2697971 Stahlkorn #3, 3,5mm, Phosphor Steel Front Sight #3, 3.5mm, Phosphor
2697963 Stahlkorn #4, 3,8mm, Phosphor Steel Front Sight #4, 3.8mm, Phosphor
2697980 Stahlkorn #5, 4,1mm, Phosphor Steel Front Sight #5, 4.1mm, Phosphor

Rear
2710170 Stahlvisier PS #1, 3,8mm, mit Stift Steel Rear Sight PS #1, 3.8mm, w/Pin
2732106 Stahlvisier PS #2, 4,6mm, mit Stift Steel Rear Sight PS #2, 4.6mm, w/Pin

Also found elsewhere
2627248 Front sight set, polymer (#1-6) M

From the official PPQ Illustrated Parts list on carl-walther.de linked at the top of this post
Front
2627248 Korne, Set, Kunststoff (Nr.1-6) Front sight set, polymer (#1-6)
2674394 Stahlkorn #3, 3,8mm, NS grün Steel Front Sight #4, 3.8mm, NS green (Tri-Lux from Betalight)
2697971 Stahlkorn #3, 3,5mm, PS Steel Front Sight #3, 3.5mm, PS
2697963 Stahlkorn #4, 3,8mm, PS Steel Front Sight #4, 3.8mm, PS
2697980 Stahlkorn #5, 4,1mm, PS Steel Front Sight #5, 4.1mm, PS

Rear (The # on the rear sight designates the notch width, not height)
2627183 Visier K-Punkte kpl., Kunststoff Rear Sight, white Dot, polymer, assembly (I think this is a #2 width)
2710170 3.8mm #1 Steel
2732106 4.6mm #2 Steel
2732084 4.6mm #2 Steel NS (Tri-Lux from Betalight)

Aftermarket Sights

Trijicon
Trijicon WP01 (green/green), WP01O (green/orange), WP01Y (green/yellow)
I posted this info from Trijicon in another thread:

[FONT=&quot]The front sight is .205 high and .142 wide, the rear sight is .246 and .181 wide notch.[/FONT]
From the Trijicon website.
P99/PPQ
WP01 aka WP01-BNTNS (Walther® Bright & Tough Night Sight Set)
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=WP01
Front Sight
Blade Width (A) Blade Height (B) Overall Height (C)
0.142 in. 0.205 in. 0.244 in.

Rear Sight
Notch Width (D) Blade Height (E) Overall Height (F)
0.181 in. 0.276 in. 0.331in.

PPS (also fits)
WP02-C-600730: Walther® Bright & Tough Night Sight Set
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=WP02-C-600730

Front Sight
Blade Width (A) Blade Height (B) Overall Height (C)
0.142 in. 0.175 in. 0.214 in.

Notch Width (D) Blade Height (E) Overall Height (F)
0.150 in. 0.185 in. 0.310 in.

Dawson Precision

Tritium front sight is available in either .125 or .145 widths at .180 tall, or .200 tall with .125 width.
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800018BA-1388518388

Fiber optic front sights are available in .150 x .125, .180 x .100, or .180 x .125
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800018B8-1388518388

Black rears are available in .210 (requires .180 front) with either .125 or .145 notches.
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800018B7-1388518388

Fiber optic rears are offered in .210 with .125 notch.
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800018B9-1388518388

Tritium rears are offered in .210 with .145 notch.
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800018BB-1388518389

TruGlo TFX

Front sight: 0.86"(21.9mm) long, 0.15"(3.9mm)wide, 0.20"(5.3mm) tall not including base

Rear sight: 0.86" (21.9mm) long, 0.67"(17.0mm) wide, 0.18"(4.6mm) tall at rear of sight not including base, 0.16"(4.1mm) at the front of the rear sight..so a very small downward slope but that could be a measurement issue...

notch: 0.17"(4.3mm) wide

The whole rear sight is slightly elevated off the slide and that it is about 0.02"(0.3mm) very hard to measure as the calipers don't fit. I had to use various pieces a paper to get close to the size...
Others

Glock front sights fit on the PPQ & P99, but need to be tightened down well to prevent movement. Threadlocker would be good. Either version of Glock TFO sights should work on the PPQ, but the front sight height is the same in the two sets. The higher front sight would likely push your point of impact down from your point of aim.

Mig1 said:
TG131GT1 – 0.195 front 0.219 rear
TG131GT2 – 0.195 front 0.235 rear

TG131GT1 is for Glock models: 17, 17L, 19, 22, 23, 23, 26, 27, 33, 34, 35
TG131GT2 is for Glock models: 20, 21, 29, 30, 31, 32
Again, only the FRONT Glock sight fits on the PPQ/P99. The rears do not.

Mepro P99/PPQ sights, measured and compared to TFO sights by pdq5oh
The rear Mepro sight measures .210" to the center, highest point, of the slide. The Mepro front sight measures .200". The TFO measures .200" as well.
PLEASE NOTE: PPS SIGHT #S ARE DIFFERENT FROM PPQ/P99 SIGHT NUMBERS.
Refer here: http://www.carl-walther.de/public/downloads/manuals/2753880_k_ET_PPS.pdf As you can see, for example, the #4 PPS sight is 3.8mm, and since the Walther PPQ FE comes with PPS night sights, the front #4 is actually 3.8mm instead of 4.5mm as on the normal PPQ/P99 #4 sight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just picked up the ppq on Saturday and put 200 rounds down range. No problems except I felt I was shooting a little low. So I called sw up today and they ordered me a number 2 and 3 sight. Good to go!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Did I read the data correctly? The P99 and PPQ #4 front sights are different heights despite being interchangeable from an installation standpoint?

If so, that would amaze me. Are there any other distinguishing features?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we discussed that in the other thread.

I went and updated the list with the current parts and added links to the parts list at carlwalther.de

See the updated first post for new info. But I also left the original info in there for reference material.

If I had an accurate caliper I would measure my Gen1 P99 and new PPQ sights to see if they really are different.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Still confused but we may be getting there.

The URL for the PPQ BoM that you provided doesn't work with either IE or Firefox. Not sure what's up with that. Although the P99 BoM does open up, it is showing steel phosphor sights as you note. Thus this does not appear to be the correct BoM for the US export version.

I did a crude measurement on my front PPQ #4 sight. It is definitely close to 3.8mm. Certainly not 4.5mm.

I am guessing that when they came out with the PPQ that they made the PPQ polymer sights the same height as the steel phosphor sights of the same number. Thus there indeed seems to be a difference in height of PPQ v P99 front sights of equal number designation, at least in the US export versions.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, so you are saying that the PPQ sight does measure up to what is on the data sheet?

RE: The link. Walther just redesigned their website and the old link no longer worked. It's fixed now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The measurement was crude as someone must have borrowed my calipers. So if you were to ask was it 3.5mm or 3.8mm I couldn't tell you. But it was not 4.5mm. Keep in mind though that those sights on the parts list were steel phosphor and not the polymer sights that we get in the US.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So the big question for me is what are the heights of the front sites from Trijicon and Meproplight? There has been issue with the night sites changing POA/POI.

I have emailed both companies for the spec's to add to this list but if anyone has a set they could measure that would speed things up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So the big question for me is what are the heights of the front sites from Trijicon and Meproplight? There has been issue with the night sites changing POA/POI.
Yup that pretty much is the reason we are having this discussion. So far the data seem to indicate that US export P99 #4 front sights are higher than the US export PPQ #4's and the night sight OEM's copied the P99. That will bother some people but I'll just use sight picture #3 after I install night sights. If I am still getting low POI's, then it will start to bother me.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I have emailed both companies for the spec's to add to this list but if anyone has a set they could measure that would speed things up.
I posted this info from Trijicon in another thread:

[FONT=&quot]The front sight is .205 high and .142 wide, the rear sight is .246 and .181 wide notch.[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Still confused but we may be getting there.

The URL for the PPQ BoM that you provided doesn't work with either IE or Firefox. Not sure what's up with that. Although the P99 BoM does open up, it is showing steel phosphor sights as you note. Thus this does not appear to be the correct BoM for the US export version.

I did a crude measurement on my front PPQ #4 sight. It is definitely close to 3.8mm. Certainly not 4.5mm.

I am guessing that when they came out with the PPQ that they made the PPQ polymer sights the same height as the steel phosphor sights of the same number. Thus there indeed seems to be a difference in height of PPQ v P99 front sights of equal number designation, at least in the US export versions.
You can try the PPQ IPL that I posted. It's in the PPQ FAQ section.

The P99 IPL is the correct one. The very first part number listed is for the Polymer Sight Set #1-6. They just don't list out the heights of each polymer sight, probably because they only sell them as a set.

Did I read the data correctly? The P99 and PPQ #4 front sights are different heights despite being interchangeable from an installation standpoint?

If so, that would amaze me. Are there any other distinguishing features?
Yup that pretty much is the reason we are having this discussion. So far the data seem to indicate that US export P99 #4 front sights are higher than the US export PPQ #4's and the night sight OEM's copied the P99. That will bother some people but I'll just use sight picture #3 after I install night sights. If I am still getting low POI's, then it will start to bother me.
You're comparing steel sights to polymer sights. They are different in measurement both front and rear from the polymer sights.

The PPQ is shipped with polymer #3, not #4. The P99 is shipped with polymer #4.

The night sights have been built to the P99 sight specs and should match the P99 #4 polymer sight.

The exception to this is the Meprolight 18801, which has a shorter front sight. I can't get an exact measurement without removing it from my gun and it's on with red loctite, so I'm not messing with it, but it's close, if not identical, to the polymer #3 that's installed on the PPQ.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The PPQ is shipped with polymer #3, not #4. The P99 is shipped with polymer #4.
OK, but there is the little matter of the number "4" that is embossed on the front ramp of the front sight of my pistol. So I will have to respectfully disagree.

That said, the sight material on my pistol sure as heck feels like steel, not polymer. I am a mechanical engineer, so I am fully aware that there are some pretty amazing polymers out there. But this sight material feels as hard as steel. Someone else said the same thing about their pistol. My serial number is FAK0162 so I probably have an early production copy. Might that make a difference? Were the early ones shipped with steel sights?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
All of the early reports were that it came with #3 sight and if the rear sight is adjustable, then they should be polymer sights. Since they don't list the polymer sight part numbers on the IPL, it's impossible to know if they made a change, but it's possible. They have made small changes before.

Outside of the First Edition's night sights, no one has reported having received steel sights on their PPQs...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Outside of the First Edition's night sights, no one has reported having received steel sights on their PPQs...
Jonm61, check out the My Front Sight Fell Off thread:
Balance: I can't check mine right now but I'm 99+% sure the sights(OEM 'day' type) are steel. My PPQ was made mid-2011 as it's test-fire date was in July of 2011.

If they are plastic, Walther really knows how to simulate steel.
That pretty much describes my sights too.

Edit: After this post I did a little experiment. I was loath to take the front sight off for obvious reasons despite having a 1.3mm Allen Head in my toolbox (I don't happen to have any blue Loctite). But the rear sight is easy, so I took that one off. It is very magnetic so it is certainly NOT polymer. And it is adjustable for windage.

Second edit: the point about leaving the drift screw in the rear sight while checking magnetic response I thought was a good catch. I had thought that little mass would make no difference. Took it out and sure enough, the sight is polymer and very little mass which is why the screw dominated the first response. Also took the front off and it too is polymer. The front is a #4, not #3, however, as originally stated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having read every post above, I still cant figure out if the trijicon wp01 night sights will give me the same POA as the factory sights that come on the ppq. I really want the trijicons wp01O orange front, green back dots...however the mepros supposedly wont change the POA. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having read every post above, I still cant figure out if the trijicon wp01 night sights will give me the same POA as the factory sights that come on the ppq. I really want the trijicons wp01O orange front, green back dots...however the mepros supposedly wont change the POA. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks!
Well, I have the Trijicons on a .40S&W P99, and it was the same as the stock sights for me. Again, that is the .40S&W and it was an early gen-1 model. Take that for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts