Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided instead of spending on the Q4 Tac to get the mounting plate to modify my existing (and broken in) PPQ Navy. This allowed me to buy a much better red dot than I would have otherwise been able to.

Thought I'd share some good news.(I hope)

OPTIONS:
I have to cynically laugh at people seriously proposing to use an AR for home defense. They have never actually shot an AR or shotgun one without earpro in a closed environment like their home. Say anything you want about the bullet superiority, do you really want to give your entire family profound hearing loss the rest of their lives? Do you think both you and your spouse will get earpro on in time? Do you think you will not need your hearing at 3AM with a stranger in your house?
Anything unsuppressed is just ignorant. Pyhsics is physics. Hate on me, I don't care. I'd challenge them to fire off a blank round in their bedroom with no earpro and see how motivated they become to make follow up shots.
Suppressed weapon is the only way to go. If you can get your AR quiet enough, them go for it.

Ok off the soapbox... Components:
Since I was not buying new Q4 Tac, I went for the Trijicon SRO 2.5 MOA. At the time, I thought I might want option to put on a rifle (CQB) at some point, which is why I didn't buy the 5 MOA dot, arguably a better choice for home defense.

I removed the rear sight (very easy) and put an EGW plate for about $50. I am not sure how one gets it off without destroying the locking pin that sits vertically in the rear sight groove. But I don't plan on ever removing it, so not worried.
IMO sights in a home defense are over rated. It's going to be point or instinct shooting and this is why the PPQ is such a great choice due to it's ergos and reputation as natural pointer. If not, then find the gun you can point shoot with.

The suppressor is 1.375" diameter. Designed specifically for 9mm/3000BO Subs. So it's no more than 10 oz and slightly less than 8" long. The rig points well and practicing (empty) around the house, seems to be a good setup. I really really wanted to go with a "K" variant, but keeping my hearing was more important. I'm at ~120-125 DB (at private range) depending if I use Sig or Hornady self defense ammo. That's ear-balling it from prior experience, not calibrated measurement. The booth also has plywood all the way around so it's like a bedroom. Quite tolerable.

Issues:
1) Slide didn't always go into battery after 250-300 rounds with this config as the powder blow back from the suppressor builds up in the gun. The Walther Green Spring fixed that. (Just passed 500 rds, no cleaning).
2) The red dot picks up a layer of soot over time. I use Zeiss lens cleaning wipes I get $5 for a box at Walmart in my range bag. It's not been bad enough to impede shooting at any point.
3) I'm not used to using red dot on pistol, so it's taking a little bit to adjust to. Mostly I point a little high and have trouble finding the dot but with about 3 weeks dry fire practice, proper angle is becoming normalized. What's weird is before with irons, PPQ was a natural pointer, like the 1911.
4) No one makes a gun safe that allows me to keep the rig complete and highly available. I wrote to Gun Vault, but that got lost, even after several attempts. I imagine it would have gone better if they could speak English at their "customer help desk."

·
Registered
52 Posts
QueuebalI, I've changed red dots on my PPQ and it required using a different mounting plate. The little locking pin was no problem at all I just pushed it down with a paper clip and slide the mount out. I also use EGW for my plates, very pleased with their quality and price. I found your reasoning to be sound about the AR. I sure would hate to be the neighbor next door when that thing starts spiting out rounds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QueuebalI, I've changed red dots on my PPQ and it required using a different mounting plate. The little locking pin was no problem at all I just pushed it down with a paper clip and slide the mount out. I also use EGW for my plates, very pleased with their quality and price. I found your reasoning to be sound about the AR. I sure would hate to be the neighbor next door when that thing starts spiting out rounds.
Hey, thanks for that info about removal... I was consigning myself to concussive maintenance (banging it off) if I ever wanted to remove it one day.

Agree on trying to be neighborly. Unfortunately, I've been in enclosed spaces while live 5.56 NATO was going off years ago when I was young and dumb and didn't take hearing protection seriously. The hearing loss is insidious now I am older. Increasingly I cannot distinguish someone speaking from background noise. I pick places to meet friends based on how quiet they are or I end up not being able to follow conversations. Gets lonely.

·
Premium Member
8,619 Posts
I agree about the ears. I've advocated going suppressed for HD for years.
I use a Q FE with an Osprey and have a Viridian C5L mounted as well:

The green laser is there when I want it. To make it easily accessible I have it mounted with magnets on my night table next to my bed.

This system comes easily to hand if needed, quiet in enclosed spaces, accurate and you can even use the factory tritium night sights if laser sight or flash light isn't the right choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my go-to weapon, a suppressed 10.3" Mk18ish AR in 5.56. I have fired this indoors using 55gr FMJ's quite comfortably without hearing protection. I could easily empty a magazine in the house with no concern for hearing damage. I prefer a rifle for home defense, and reserve pistols for personal defense/everyday carry and use as secondary weapons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts