Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PPQ is currently in the 10 day jail. I haven't had a chance to shoot it but I did have a chance to handle it. After everything I've read and seen on Youtube, I think it might be the most underrated gun on the market today.

Two weeks ago I took a 2 day hand gun class with the great Larry Vickers. He used a PPQ during the class. If you don't know who Larry Vickers is he was former Delta Force.

I became aware of the gun after taking the class. If it's good enough for a guy who is a consultant to the firearms industry and helped develop the HK45 and can shoot pretty much anything he wants. The fact that he shoots a PPQ says a lot. Can't wait to shoot mine.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Not sure about underrated, seems there are massive amounts of positive reports with only a few instances of minor issues since the guns release in the US

I do think, however it has been "difficult" (or not even a goal) for Walther to penetrate the American market, so the gun may not be as hyped as the newest generation Glock..

Welcome, I trust it will live up to your expectations :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure about underrated, seems there are massive amounts of positive reports with only a few instances of minor issues since the guns release in the US

I do think, however it has been "difficult" (or not even a goal) for Walther to penetrate the American market, so the gun may not be as hyped as the newest generation Glock..

Welcome, I trust it will live up to your expectations :D
I agree.

Maybe underrated in the sense that it doesn't even get a look by those with a strong brand preference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Underrated?

My PPQ is currently in the 10 day jail. I haven't had a chance to shoot it but I did have a chance to handle it. After everything I've read and seen on Youtube, I think it might be the most underrated gun on the market today.

Two weeks ago I took a 2 day hand gun class with the great Larry Vickers. He used a PPQ during the class. If you don't know who Larry Vickers is he was former Delta Force.

I became aware of the gun after taking the class. If it's good enough for a guy who is a consultant to the firearms industry and helped develop the HK45 and can shoot pretty much anything he wants. The fact that he shoots a PPQ says a lot. Can't wait to shoot mine.
I agree in the sense that there is no hype about this pistol. I came across mine completely by accident...honest ma. Where do you live? Ten day waiting period? Thank God I live in florida, only 3 days here. Anyway, your gonna love this gun!

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I agree in the sense that there is no hype about this pistol. I came across mine completely by accident...honest ma. Where do you live? Ten day waiting period? Thank God I live in florida, only 3 days here. Anyway, your gonna love this gun!
Get your CCW Marcus...about 15 minute wait lolol. AND the Q makes a great carry weapon to boot!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I think the P99 is the most underrated polymer pistol, in the US at least.

The best marketing campaign that Walther ever put out to promote the P99, was releasing the PPQ.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think it might be the most underrated gun on the market today.
I've been saying the same thing for years about the P99. Hopefully now that Walther will be opening up their own U.S. HQ finally, they will market their products the way their previous importers never did. Walther has made great pistols for decades, hopefully the PPQ and and an aggressive marketing campaign lead by their new U.S. HQ will finally get them the recognition here in the U.S. that they deserve.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Myself I have bought Glocks XDs HKs Paras Kimbers Colts and many others, but had never even though or read much about Walthers handguns. When I first spotted the Walther P99 9mm and looked it over I thought hey this looks like a quality 9mm handgun had not had a 9mm for 15 years. After shooting it and reading about the new then PPQ I asked my dealer to order me one. I am very glad I did buy them both they both are a steal at their low prices. After watching Mr. Hickok shoot the PPQ 9mm and he is real Glock shooter he said the Walther PPQ was a wonderful shooting handgun right out of the box. Also NutFancy gave it really high marks. I don't think any of the many happy Walther PPQ owners really need anyone to tell them how great they are.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I must concur with Balance and Mako — the most underrated handgun on the market isn't the PPQ; it's the P99.

And as they've also both noted, the best advertising Walther ever did for the P99 was releasing the PPQ. They're both great weapons serving slightly different markets.

·
Registered
235 Posts
PPQ CCW

Get your CCW Marcus...about 15 minute wait lolol. AND the Q makes a great carry weapon to boot!
How do you carry your PPQ? I like the Pistol but I thought it a bit large for carry. Of course my usual atire is shorts and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I carry it either in a Theis IWB holster or a Raven Concealment Phantom with a cover shirt. It's bigger than a PPS so you have to dress around it, but I wear my clothes loose so it's not really a huge change for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I mean underrated in the best possible sense. The gun seems to be an awesome gun that you never hear anyone talk about. Maybe I'm just late to the party. Based on what you guys have said maybe I need to check out the P99. I completely agree with Rifleshooter, It's an awesome gun for the price and maybe we shouldn't tell anyone. Before you know it the price will jump. I've also owned Glocks, HKs, & XDs. I think for the price the PPQ cannot be beat.

question: How does the trigger on the P99 compare to the PPQ.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The trigger on the P99as is totally different than the PPQ. The AS trigger is a DA/SA trigger while the PPQs is the same trigger pull each time you pull the trigger, close to the single action trigger of the P99.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think the correct term should be under marketed. Not underated. I think S&W as a distributor for Walther hasn't marketed the PPQ as it should be out of fear of the competition with their M&P line. I think when Walther gets set up in the U.S, hopefully we'll see it more available and aftermarket support.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was at the NRA Convention in April hanging around the S&W area and I did notice ONE sign advertising the PPQ. I didn't know whether to be impressed that it was at least mentioned or sad that there was only one sign there. I guess we'll have to take what we can get for now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
question: How does the trigger on the P99 compare to the PPQ.
It's a different trigger system. It's a traditional DA/SA with an added feature of being able to fire it with a long double action trigger stroke, but with a light single action trigger weight. If you do a search you'll prolly find a post that can explain it better than I.

That being said, the SA of the P99 is excellent. Very similar to the PPQ and in fact 1 lb lighter to boot; 4.4lbs, the PPQ is 5.4 or 5.5. You just need to do what I and many others have done...BUY BOTH!!!

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
How do you carry your PPQ? I like the Pistol but I thought it a bit large for carry. Of course my usual atire is shorts and a t-shirt.
I carry my QFE in a Tommy Theis holster at about 8:30 with a bit of forward cant. It conceals just fine.
I'm a scuba instructor so I'm usually in shorts and Tshirts too, I never get "made" and don't find the pistol too big for CC. I'm 5'10" and 151 lbs, living in Florida where people are used to seeing odd bulges on folks hips, insulin pumps, heart monitors and the like.

The only time I switch to my P99c AS is when I go running in the evenings and it comes along quite comfortably in a Theis holster as well. BTW I always get horsehide because of the Florida heat and sweat.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The best advertising taking place for the PPQ is word of mouth. Just look at all the chatter on all of the major boards. LAV running the PPQ is a definite plus and the legions of LAV nuthuggers will surely buy one which is great.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
I've got quite a few holsters, but my latest is a Safariland paddle holster that I modified for IWB carry. This holster allows me to carry either one of my PPQ's (9mm and 40 S&W) or my P99c tucked in very nicely at about 2 o'clock. Works with a regular button up shirt or a t-shirt, providing absolute all day comfort while sitting, standing, or any other activity with the exception of barbell squats.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts