Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to firearms, other than a bunch of youtube videos and few rentals at the range, I am relatively green. So I purchased a PPQ Match 5 as my first firearm, brought it home read the manual, and took it apart to clean the factory grease and the test fire residue. After field stripping the firearm I noticed it was not lubricated very well and aI continued to inspect the frame I noticed that the finish on the metal slide rails on the frame was faded. I can see what I assume is aluminum through the black finish. Is this something I should be concerned about? I haven't shot a single round through the gun yet. I did clean and lube it with ballistol and added Lucas gun oil to the slide and frame. I'm sure if I maintain it it should be fine, but is that something i can replace in the future? It is even an option?

Thank you for helping this poor greenhorn.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Said another way...

“Hello I am a new driver and just got my DL. I decided to buy a Corvette as my first car. Does the exhaust sound correct?”

I am just messing with ya! Great gun. You are now officially spoiled because almost any other gun will be crapola.

I can’t Really tell from the photos what’s going on there. But honestly the finish should not be rubbed off anywhere on a new gun. Was it brand new?

Naturally through use, things happen.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hey I just got a better look at it. I am guessing that the gun was on the shelf and has been racked a bunch of times. I can see the wear now. It looks fine and is pretty normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks WaterDR, i know, did alot of research before I decided on it and it came down to the CZ P10 C or PPQ Match 5. I figured it was racked a bunch dry but I figured I'd ask anyway. Had been lurking on this forum for a while, trying to get as much insight as I could. Definitely appreciate your input. And yes gun is brand new, only fired by the gentalman at the factory, and I must say he is a good shot.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I noticed that the finish on the metal slide rails on the frame was faded. I can see what I assume is aluminum through the black finish.
That the four slide guides on the frame are bright is completely normal - and, by the way, they are made of steel, not aluminium.

I use a small amount of grease on them, and oil for the other lubrication points on the pistol.

Balor

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I used to use Hoppes Elite for the rails, but it tends to dry quickly.

Grease is the way to go. Sparingly. Inspect often, and if dirty from lint/dust, clean and reapply. Still, a little grunge ought to not affect a gun that much. It's all relative, however. If it looks like the back of a semi trailer in the winter, it probably needs cleaning LOL.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey I just got a better look at it. I am guessing that the gun was on the shelf and has been racked a bunch of times. I can see the wear now. It looks fine and is pretty normal.
Agree. Any significant wear comes when the pistol is fired. Congrats on the new gun. The Q5 is a pretty unusual first purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"The Q5 is a pretty unusual first purchase."

Yea I live in NJ, so to get another hand gun i have to basically apply for another pistol permit, which is like applying for the FID again minis the fingerprints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"The Q5 is a pretty unusual first purchase."

Yea I live in NJ, so to get another hand gun i have to basically apply for another pistol permit, which is like applying for the FID again minus the fingerprints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts