Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've moved into the PPQ as my primary service sized handgun for the past two years or so. Really enjoy the gun. I have an M2 4" for home defense, an M2 5" for IDPA, as well as a p99c and PPS M2 for carry.

I know that the PPQ variants have a small market share compared to some of the larger players. I may be way overthinking this, but I'm starting to wonder about the viability of investing more in this platform for the long term.

I realize that no one here has a crystal ball, but is this pistol series prolific enough to ensure that parts and magazines are going to be available 20-30 years down the line at a reasonable price? Its puzzling to me, and complicates matters in my mind, that walther has literally 4 different types of incompatible double stack mags(P99/QM1, PPQ M2, PPQ SC, PPX/Creed).

Would it be worth considering shifting towards a more prolific platform such as Glock that I don't like shooting as much? For those of you that have been competing and training for a long time, has this ever been a problem for less common pistols in the past?

Thanks,
Brendan

·
Registered
140 Posts
You want a pistol that will be supported 40 years from now? WTH.
Shoot them till they wear out. If parts are available when they do, repair them. If they are not, buy whatever pistol is then available that you enjoy shooting the most.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Would it be worth considering shifting towards a more prolific platform such as Glock that I don't like shooting as much? For those of you that have been competing and training for a long time, has this ever been a problem for less common pistols in the past?

Thanks,
Brendan
No, especially if you don't like them.

Walther isn't as well known, but I don't see that being a big problem. Walther has been around since 1886, unlike Glock which started in the 1980s.

Unless you are having consistent reliability issues that you can't resolve, I don't see why you would consider making a switch.

Chances are, if you do you cleaning and lubing correctly, the pistols will still be functional way past the time you would ever need them.

The way things are going you may not have to wait that long.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responses.

I'm not having any problems with the guns at all. I am just considering adding another 5 inch PPQ as a backup and, should the market change and weed out some of the smaller players, would like to make sure I'll be able to get mags in the future.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for responses.

I'm not having any problems with the guns at all. I am just considering adding another 5 inch PPQ as a backup and, should the market change and weed out some of the smaller players, would like to make sure I'll be able to get mags in the future.
If the s*** hits the fan I would expect the U.S. manufactures to be the first to go.

In the U.S. they are (have been) trying to make manufacturers liable for criminal acts committed with their products. Not sure if that's happening to European companies as well, but it may be.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I expect Walther will be around for quite a long time yet, certainly longer than me. I am much much more concerned about what politicians are trying to do to take away my rights to own firearms, regular capacity magazines, and buy ammo.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you're 20, you're life expectancy is an average of another 60 years. I doubt you'll outlive the lifespan of most modern guns. You might have to replace a small broken part like a spring from time to time.

If you're really worried about a particular gun longevity, buy a spare and put it away, and/or stock up on springs, parts, and magazines. For very little money this perceived problem is resolved.

As to using a crystal ball it's anybody's guess but just know that manufacturers are constantly evolving and improving or changing designs. Yet some designs endure.

HK still makes the USP, now almost 4 decades later.
Sig still makes many of their legacy guns like the P220, P226, and P229, now several decades later.
Beretta still makes their 92 series, several decades later.
Glock still makes their legacy guns and most parts are interchangeable.
The CZ75 was made for 4 decades.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I compete in USPSA and have close to 50,000 rounds, and counting, through a 5" PPQ. I never bought the Q5 because it's not significantly different than the 5". The only part I have changed is the trigger return spring to reduce the trigger pull to 3.7lbs. Everything else is still original stock. Most guys are never gonna put that many rounds through the gun and so you can assume the gun will outlast you. Buy it use it, and when you get bored with it go buy something else. You might be over thinking this.

Reactions: jkv45
1 - 11 of 11 Posts