Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sooo... if the only difference between the PPQ and the older mags is the height of the lip at the front face of the mag, I'm guessing that a bit of dremel action to take that front down by 3-4mm would allow the older mag to work in the PPQ...

Why? The Baby Eagle mags from CDNN are the EXACT same mag except for finish and follower color. I shot my three today and all functioned 100%. Forget the Mexican "mill."

People should have to pass a test & be licensed in order to use a Dremel on a gun or gun parts IMO. ;) :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if somewhere out there; there is a government agency that regulates the proper use of dremmel tools. I know for fact that I’ve messed up more than my share things by “Just taking a little bit off” My experience has been magazines are very finicky when things on them are altered and are better left alone. Other than changing out springs and such I don’t even bother any more. I give Kudo’s to those that can take dremmel any make things work and work flawlessly

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Given some of the damaged that we've seen coming out of Houlten during the past few years of the PPK recall fiasco, I'd be in favor of a federal mandate regulating the use of Dremel tools on firearms, grips included. In the hands of some modern Michaelangelo, a Dremel may be a useful device -- along with a hammer and the various chisels and rasps and other sculpting tools that are used to create masterpieces. In the hands of the rest of us, it's an instant recipe for calamity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Easy tweak

OK - I took about 3mm off the front face of an older P99 mag with an angle grinder, cleaned up with a small, fine file, and blued. Looks fine and feeds fine when hand-cycled, as one might expect since the follower doesn't travel this far up and it really changed nothing about the mag except give more clearance to the bottom of the feed ramp, in the same way the new mags do.

Anyhow, a 10min job and a tweak that you wouldn't spot unless you were looking hard for it...

Before - interference fit with PPQ feedramp;

Scribed with a line about 3mm down from existing edge;

Cut, cleaned up and blued (not quite to scribe line, and not as level as I'd have liked);

Now with similar clearance as the new style magazines;

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
OK - I took about 3mm off the front face of an older P99 mag with an angle grinder, cleaned up with a small, fine file, and blued. Looks fine and feeds fine when hand-cycled, as one might expect since the follower doesn't travel this far up and it really changed nothing about the mag except give more clearance to the bottom of the feed ramp, in the same way the new mags do.
Maybe you should go to work for S&W in Houlten. Lord knows they could use the help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is the differance only with .40 magazines? Even the oldest 9mm magazine I have found is designed the same as all new ones
Not sure - I have a 1st gen .40s&w P99 but no new mags or .40 PPQ to compare against.

I have quite a few 9mm mags bought when the 1st gen P99s came out, and it's those that have the too-tall front face. I'm not sure when they moved over to the new design, and I haven't seen where they mark the rev on the mag so that you can track changes like these.

I'll take a look at the mags with my other (multiple generation) 9mm p99s tonight and see if I can see when they changed; I should have the original mags alongside each gun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sir, you are awesome. Had I tried that I would have ended up with a pile of scrap. I'm afraid my talents lie in other areas. I know that from past experiences.

·
Registered
55 Posts
P99 .40 mags for PPQ

I just received 2 - 10 round factory (Mecgar) P99 .40 mags from Midway for use in my California bound PPQ.

They both appear to have the lower mag lip when comparing to the posted photos.

Midway lists the mag as PPQ compatible.

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy guys, waiting for my PPQ to come to the dealer, however was interested in Mags. Planning on making the PPQ my production gun or as a backup gun for the M&P 9L in USPSA. So naturally need a few more mags.

Noticed that Baby Eagle mags work? If so, someone should try CZ75 mags. I know my baby eagle takes CZ mags. The base plate might be a tad different, however baby eagle mags and cz mags are both made by mec-gar. Prior to mec-gar, Baby Eagle mags were made by Tanfoglio, which does build on CZ designs.

If anyone can check would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Howdy guys, waiting for my PPQ to come to the dealer, however was interested in Mags. Planning on making the PPQ my production gun or as a backup gun for the M&P 9L in USPSA. So naturally need a few more mags.

Noticed that Baby Eagle mags work? If so, someone should try CZ75 mags. I know my baby eagle takes CZ mags. The base plate might be a tad different, however baby eagle mags and cz mags are both made by mec-gar. Prior to mec-gar, Baby Eagle mags were made by Tanfoglio, which does build on CZ designs.

If anyone can check would be awesome!
Not the same gun. The old, original, Baby Eagle is a CZ75 design and was built by IMI or IWI in Israel.

The new Baby Eagle, now the MR Fast Action is a P99 knock off on a Walther built frame. Nothing between the two guns is interchangeable.

You can see the two side by side on the MR website Magnum Research maker of the world's most powerful handguns

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That's strange that the fit as the manual states do not use the 99 mags.
Early P99 magazines should not be used. Current ones, along with the MR mags, are fine. If you look through the thread, you'll see the pictures that demonstrate why.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For those looking for 9mm 15rd magazines for their PPQ, CDNN Sports web site has them at $34.99 each. There's nothing under Walther, but go to S&W mag p99 and they show them as S&W and Walther PPQ magazines.
I ordered 2 today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What about the .40 PPQ?

Does anyone know where you can buy the .40 mags? I just bought my PPQ .40 last Friday from Jet Guns; thanks to finding this site! I almost traded in my Gen 2 Glock 17 and $350 to my LGS for one...

Thank you all, and I look forward to learning and participating as much as I can!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The magazines ordered through CDNN just arrived. They are visually an exact match for the original PPQ mags, but the black steel is "shiny", they are printed "CAL. 9MM" "Made in Italy". On the plastic mag plate it says "Magnum Research - Baby Desert Eagle". The followers are black instead of red too. They fit, hold when inserted and fall out when the mag release is pushed down. Loks 100% compatable my the PPQ :)

The package is labeled "Magnum Research" "Part # MAGFA915". Looks like a reliable source for extra PPQ magazines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So magazines that work with the PPQ:

WAF76001 = Factory Walther PPQ mags
WAF65004 = Factory Walther P99 mags
MAGFA915 = Mec-Gar Magnum Research mags

Now, does Mec-Gar make all three mags?

·
Registered
91 Posts
More mags arrived today -

ProMag #"WAL-A2", (9mm - 15 rd) made in the USA and lifetime guarantee.

CheaperThanDirt has 30 round mags under S&W. No ID or maker names, just numbers by the holes 5, 10, 15 and only numbers down to 30.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/49223-1.html

No range time, but all these mags fit perfectly and release fine. They feed and eject good (by hand) and the slide locks back on both types.

Now, with the two Walther mags, I have six 15 rounders and one 30 rounder total. Ready for range day :D

41 - 60 of 394 Posts