Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a PPQ M2 Tungsten Grey. It is a dealer exclusive product but, did not realize at the time that it had polymer guide rails instead of steal. Is this a long term quality or reliability issue? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,816 Posts
did not realize at the time that it had polymer guide rails instead of steal. Is this a long term quality or reliability issue? Any insight would be appreciated.
Surely you're talking about the recoil 'guide rod' and not the guide rail inserts in the frame. As for polymer guide rods, there's probably a few million in use today throughout the World. That should answer your durability/reliability question.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Shoot it and don't worry. A lot of folks here have thousands of rounds with plastic guide rods in their pistols and I think there's been less than 5 failures. If you shoot competition, maybe an aftermarket wouldn't be a bad investment, for the average shooter who goes through two boxes of ammo a month? The stocker will be more than sufficient. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guys. Not sure what to believe. I also asked "WALTHER" the same question (among others as a 1st timer) and their gun technician, Craig Casey, replied:
Alan -

The rails on the frame are polymer...

Casey Craig
Gun Technician
Walther Arms, Inc.

So, what do you make of that? I thought they were supposed to be steel so that's why I'm concerned. PPQ was my dream gun to last forever and pass down to my son, etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Perhaps he was talking about the Picatinny rail. Otherwise he misspoke, the slide guide rails are not polymer.

·
Premium Member
13,816 Posts
Darcy, we wouldn't steer you wrong. Enough of this madness. Go to the dime store, pick up a magnet, go home and see if it sticks to the guide rails in your polymer frame.

I already know the answer.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Darcy... if you are talking about four curved inserts in the perimeter of the frame - they are steel.
If you meant anything else, please take a picture and point the exact part, because the way you phrased your question is confusing to both forum audience and Ft. Smith folks. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To imaoldfart...
Thank you for your wisdom. 1st off, I took a refrigerator magnet and tested the rails - they are metal. 2nd and more important, thanks for pointing out the obvious solution – self-reliance. It’s a metaphor for my life today, that is, I thought I was an independent person but realized that I’ve been subtly turned to think I need rely on others – to “go through the system” – for what I can/should do for myself. Thanks for the slap in the face.
P.S. I love my new PPQ - 150 rounds and counting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts