Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a PPQ M2 brand new about a year ago. Have put about 500 rounds through it - and clean it regularly and it has been flawless. A few weeks ago I had a fail to fire, so cycled the round and it shot two rounds, and then another FTF. About every third round it would FTF.

Thoroughly cleaned it (including the firing pin block (FPB), firing pin (FP), etc. Back to the range and same thing: About every third round it would FTF. I confirmed that the slide is in battery, and there is a very light PF strike on the primer - this is very consistent with each round that would not fire.

When I took it apart and inspected every part I found that the FPB had s small part of the notch eroded away (very small area on the corner of the notch where the firing pin rides). There is a corresponding small area on the FP where there is a small erosion of material where it hits the FPB.

Could this cause the FTF? Has anyone seen an issue like this before?

Sorry I don't have pictures as the area in questions is so small it doesn't show up with a typical phone picture.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I haven't seen that or heard of anything similar. If you have checked that all out, it may be time to call Walther and explain the situation. Assuming that it is a part problem, then I would expect them to make that right for you. You could ask for a new FPB spring and see if that is the fix. Or, send the pistol in. With multiple parts showing abnormal wear, they may want to see it.

A couple of ideas:
Are you sure that the spring inside the FPB is seated correctly and not binding or stuck or whatever?

Does it also have light strikes when dry firing? (pencil test).

You may be able to get a better close-up photo if you use the zoom function on the phone.

Good luck,
D

·
Premium Member
13,965 Posts
To confirm the slide is in battery, do you look at the slide before each trigger pull, or do you only inspect the gun after you've had a 'click and no bang'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- It seems to function fine on dry fire (via pencil test). Have done about 6 in a row with no issues
- Battery: On my second test at the range, I stopped after each round to check that it was in battery before squeezing the trigger again, and it looks like it was in battery every time (before a light strike or with a normal fire).

Will try to take a picture of the parts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a similar issue with my q5 but it was after 5k plus rounds and I hadn't cleaned the striker assembly. I cleaned it and no issues in about 3k after. Might have to go back to Walther

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had this issue with the 5" PPQs including the plastic Q5 match. Changed out the RSA to a Sprinco and no more problems. I had another shooter watch the slide and it was not going into battery. The 4" was flawless in stock configuration.

Sometimes the ammo is the problem if the projectile is too long.

·
Premium Member
13,965 Posts
There have been quite a few post of PPQ's with a 'click no bang' issue and most have been traced to pulling the trigger when the slide is not in battery. Typically, the slide is only about an 1/8" out of battery.

Most people don't look at the slide after or before each trigger pull to ensure the slide is all the way forward. They only look at the pistol following a click no bang event. But THEN the slide IS all the way forward. So, that leaves em' scratching their head.

The pencil test you did actually helps to verify that the pistol (striker) is operating properly. That's because you racked the slide by hand, ensuring it was in battery prior to sliding the pencil down the barrel. By contrast, during live fire, you're relying on the ammo to cycle the slide.....fully expecting the slide to return to battery, but, in some cases, it may stop about 1/8" from all the way forward. So, what happens then? Well you pull the trigger, the striker is released and starts forward, but at the same time the slide is relieved of the duty of holding the striker, so now it has enough spring power to also start forward......the race is on. Which one reaches the finish line first? I'm thinking the striker does, which results in a light strike.

So, try using a firm grip. Check your slide after/before each trigger pull. You have to make sure the slide is fully forward, as 'it looks like its in battery' is not an answer...it either is, or its not.

Also, let another experienced shooter shoot the pistol.

If its not grip, ammo or lack of lube, there are some remedies.

·
Registered
499 Posts
^^^ yep, what he said.

If it works ok on dry firing then it must be something else. I have a small plastic rod about 2 inches long that I use rather than a pencil. All my PPQs will hit that up to the ceiling and bounce with some force.

Have you tried different ammo? Does a round fall into the chamber with no problem?

Just for grins, I would also check that the extractor is working correctly and not binding, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. Here is a little more info:

- I have tried two different types of ammo (both 115 Gr RN). All ammo seems to cycle fine and it is the same ammo I have been using for the past year.
- Did the pencil test again but used a plastic rod. Did the test 10 times in a row and twice the rod only went up about half as high as the other times. Not sure what that means.

I pulled the extractor out and it looks great, and seems to be functioning fine - I cycled 10 snap caps through it with no issues.

I hope to go to the range again soon - as soon as the snow lets up and the range is open again! When I go I will stop after every shot and verify the slide is in battery, as well as try some other ammo.

Thank you all!

^^^ yep, what he said.

If it works ok on dry firing then it must be something else. I have a small plastic rod about 2 inches long that I use rather than a pencil. All my PPQs will hit that up to the ceiling and bounce with some force.

Have you tried different ammo? Does a round fall into the chamber with no problem?

Just for grins, I would also check that the extractor is working correctly and not binding, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts