Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing it often said that to adjust point of impact just change the front sight. WHO offers these front sights? I cant seem to find any for sale period.
My gun came with plastic sights ( one front ) and shot far too low.
Are these guns supposed to come with multiple front sights?

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
My guess is you're using the wrong sight picture. The first thing you need to do is use the correct sight picture. The PPQ is set up at the factory to use a 'combat' sight picture....see image below.

Go back to the range, use a pistol rest and squeeze off a few using the combat sight picture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I will try to answer. First, the owners manual says “to raise or lower point of impact simply replace the front sight”. I also read it somewhere on this or another source. Second, concerning the sight picture, I am quite familiar with the 6 oclock hold and the target hold. I use the target hold as it is unnatural for me to use any other. If I use a pistol in a defense role I use a combination of point shooting and front sight technique. No time for formal aiming! Anyway just trying to hit a target dot at 50 feet the notion of totally covering the target with the front sight doesn’t work for me. I have around 70-80 firearms of every type including 2 ppks, 1 pp, and 1 PPQ. Plus a couple dozen other makes of handguns. Point is I have some experience in shooting handguns. Anyway part of the problem is that if the gun is set up so that the dot on the front sight is the actual aiming point the the target hold will cause low POI. Combine that with the use of 115 grain bullets and the impact is even lower. I use 115’s because I bought Hornsby critical defense as well as practice ammo. I contacted Walther and they said they would send me lowersights. It still seems to me the PPQ should have sights like the pp and ppk- steel. Thanks for your help and replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correction Hornady. Not Hornsby. Don’t you love how our phones slip in the “correct” spelling.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I will try to answer. First, the owners manual says “to raise or lower point of impact simply replace the front sight”. I also read it somewhere on this or another source. Second, concerning the sight picture, I am quite familiar with the 6 oclock hold and the target hold. I use the target hold as it is unnatural for me to use any other.
I was right. :D YES, to raise or lower point of impact simply replace the front sight...THAT is true. That's still based on making fine adjustments to the POI based on using the sight picture the pistol was designed to use....and that's a combat hold. I believe the stock front sight height is about .165 (I'd have to go look it up to verify). Walther does offer additional front sights, but the shortest I'm aware of is .150.

You need to start using the 'combat hold' and practice using it until it is natural, or just give up and keep using the target hold and keep hitting low. Or, you can just aim high.

Or, put Speed Sights on your pistol, that'll give you what you're looking for....see picture below. The point of impact is at the top, center of the diamond. I have these sights on 4 pistols. Excellent for target or defense work.

In a close encounter, self defense situation, sights are usually not used anyway....many, maybe most people will be point shooting in this situation anyway.....whether they'll admit it or not.

Link to Speed Sights thread: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/109950-new-speedsights-ppq-has-impressed-me-speed-fine-accuracy.html

Info on sights: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-ppq/20822-ppq-p99-sight-sizes-part-numbers-list.html

Dawson has a .125 tall fiber optic.

Exploded view and parts list: https://www.carl-walther.com/fileadmin/uploads/media/partsdrawings/PPQ_M2_279_58_33_u.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn’t mean to say that you were wrong at all, you are indeed correct. I am too wobbly to be much Of a pistol shot. I shoot a lot of precision rifle ( 1.0 moa is unacceptable) I shoot 0.2 to 0.4 moa depending on the rifle. I say that because it makes me want to shoot small targets when burning pistol ammo. I ordered walther sights 1-4. It wasn’t a huge investment. At any rate I am going to follow the links you have kindly posted and check out the speed sights~ I hope they are steel. A lot of people say a good set of steel sights improves accuracy. As good as the Walther is I think the gun deserves better sights. Thanks very much for your reply.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Ha, my wife used to tell me I was wrong all the time.

I believe you'll like the speed sights. I like the orange front.....super easy to see. Lining up the diamonds and the top/tip of the diamond being the POI, your accuracy should improve.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Since it never came up, "replacing the front sight" means to install your choice of one of the three or four front sights supplied with the pistol when you bought it. They're in a little plastic baggie tucked away between the foam and the lid of the box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since it never came up, "replacing the front sight" means to install your choice of one of the three or four front sights supplied with the pistol when you bought it. They're in a little plastic baggie tucked away between the foam and the lid of the box.
Seriously?! I can't wait to get home and check my box. That would make me even more impressed with Walther attention to customer convenience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update
Been shooting rifles too long. Walther sent me a set of 6 sights. There weren’t any additional ones in my box.I installed the shortest one and it shot too high. Wound up installing one the next size down from the original and it shoots exactly to point of aim. The gun shoots minute of golf ball at 15 yards which is fine with me. One thing that threw me was the 9mms recoil impulse is sharper the my 45. Now that I have a little practice I can see there is no need for additional sights for defensive purposes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts