Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new M2 about a month ago. Shooting quality factory FMJ ammo the first 500 rounds or so 1 issue. Now shooting the same ammo it won't go fully into battery about one out of every 20 rounds.
Frustrating. I own about 20 semi-auto handguns and have never had this issue. Two other Walthers. Anyone else with this problem?

·
Premium Member
13,792 Posts
Well Woot, on a PPQ the striker spring is getting cocked/compressed during the rebound of the slide. When the slide is cycled rearward (either by shooting or manually) the recoil spring that’s getting compressed. As the slide starts returning forward, the recoil spring is pushing it forward. At a point approximately 3/8" from battery the sear catches and holds the striker in place as the slide continues forward into battery. So, it's that last 3/8" that's critical, as the slide needs sufficient forward momentum/energy/spring pressure to overcome the resistance created when compressing the striker spring and any other resistance in the system. Another thing going on at the 3/8" point is the barrel starting to cam UP and sliding UP the breech face. While the barrel is camming upward, the rim of the case is also being forced under the extractor…..we’re talking more friction and resistance.

You said you've been using the same ammo...Okay....we'll just assume it's not an ammo problem.

My daughter had a new P99C and was having the same problem you are having....an occasional failure to return to battery. She would shoot a few rounds and have a FTRTB. I'd take the gun and put a full mag thru the gun and it would run perfectly....hand it back to her and she'd have another FTRTB. The point is 'GRIP' is also critical....a firm grip...firm wrist...etc. I know you said you own about 20 semi-autos, but I had to mention this.

The first thing I’d recommend....clean and lube the pistol. Then go back to the range...concentrate on using a good/firm grip and put some rounds thru it. If you have any FTRTB, see if you can get anyone else to shoot it to see if they have the same problem. (This is just part of the process).

If cleaning/lubing doesn't help, then it might be time to think about the springs. We're talking about the recoil spring, striker spring and the extractor spring.

Summing up, it seems if the pistol ran perfectly for 500 rounds and is not encountering this problem, WHAT has changed? Same ammo....so could it be dirt/grim????

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you rack the slide by hand, or release it from the slide stop, with a full magazine does this still happen?

Does it happen with all mags? Are the mags clean and springs seated correctly?

Extractor operating correctly?

Striker working correctly? nothing gumming up the assembly?

If it all checks out, check your grip as OF said. Maybe try some other ammunition. I usually use Lawman 124gr.

Good luck!
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The first thing I’d recommend....clean and lube the pistol. Then go back to the range...concentrate on using a good/firm grip,
Imaoldfart speaks with wisdom.

Those two things right there will eliminate the most common causes of the problem you describe.

We all (I am at least as guilty of this as anyone else) tend to look for some outlier condition for the cause where it's usually something elemental. I'd start there.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Is the pistol 100% stock as it left from the factory?

How many rounds have you put through the pistol?

Did you clean and lube the pistol as it states to do so in the manual?

What type of "quality" ammunition are you using? What grain? What brand? What model?

What was the 1 issue you had in the first 500 rounds?

What type of M2 PPQ is this? A standard 4"? A Q5? A 5"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies so far! The ammo used is Sellier & Bellot FMJ 115 grain 9X19.
The 1st issue was a failure to go into battery.
Limp-wristing is not the problem.
800 rounds or so thru the weapon.
Field-stripped/cleaned when issue started (at around 500 rounds)
I lubed it like I would a Glock (lightly)
It is a standard 4" M2 9mm
I always allow the slide to go forward on its own.
This happens while I'm shooting. I've seen the slide go forward quite slowly a few times.
Extracts seemingly fine, although it seems a bit testy when I go to unload, ie getting the round out of the chamber.
Striker seems fine-gun goes bang unless out of battery.
I feel any good weapon should work with any good ammo- like ALL my other handguns do.
Weapon factory new and stock except sights.

Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Have you let someone else shoot it?

If everything else checks out, then call Walther. They should send you a shipping label.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used to have this happen on my P99 after every 1000 rounds or so. I figured out I needed to clean the chamber and use solvent and a .40 cal copper brush. Once I started doing that, I haven't experienced any sluggishness to return to battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to have this happen on my P99 after every 1000 rounds or so. I figured out I needed to clean the chamber and use solvent and a .40 cal copper brush. Once I started doing that, I haven't experienced any sluggishness to return to battery.
Thanks. I'll try that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you let someone else shoot it?

If everything else checks out, then call Walther. They should send you a shipping label.
Thanks! Done that- they are very helpful. I'm trying to get it worked out b4 doing a warranty return. I'll try some of the suggestions here next time at the range. Hopefully I can avoid a return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts