Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoINq9ep7cU

Wasn't going to post this, but there isn't that many post on this. I purchased this Handgun back in Feb 2013. Never have had a problem with it, an awesome Handgun and fun to shoot, maybe that's why I had a melt down. I've shot almost 1100 rounds through it in the last past year, last Shooting was 300 rounds through it, simple Target Shooting, Nothing extreme. After this I had 2 bullets failed to fire, after inspecting it, I noticed that it won't go fully into battery. I clean my Handgun after every shooting, oil in specific spots. Looking at the guide rod & spring, Seems to be the problem. The heat warped the rod, and just not enough tightness in spring. Will replace with a stainless steel guide rod, waiting for it to arrive, but will share the results when it does.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting. After about 1k rounds though mine I had the exact same thing happen. I ejected the round and it ran fine. About 50 rounds later it did the same thing…ejected the round and all was fine. I was using Freedom Munitions remans. When I took a close look at the cases they were about .020-.040 longer than the max recommended in the Lyman reloading book. Hard to believe such a flexible guide rod would overcome the intense pressure of the spring but I will be watching your post. Let us know how it comes out. I am used to FTF with my Glocks since I run light springs but have never had an issue with the PPQ until the other day.

PS the next time out 100 rounds fired,,,no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will definitely share the results, was really confident with carrying this, until this happened. I use federal Hydro-shok 124gr and speer lawman 115gr fmj, but it's definitely not Ammo issue, as it does it regardless no matter what Ammo I use. Now it will shoot, it's only when I rack the slide ez, That this occurs, but it still shouldn't do this regardless of that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The first thing that came to mind was that you were being too easy with racking the slide. I always use the sling shot method (I never use the slide STOP to release the slide) but then I read that this happened during firing. Can you clarify? Werethe failures on the first round after easing the slide forward? Or in the middle of a magazine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It should never do that regardless, never had a firearm do that, and it has never done it until recently, that's quality issue and needs to be looked into. I don't know what type of plastic is being used, but it needs to be able to handle the heat by the barrel.
You're right about racking, but my concern is, will it get worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First shots. I usually always sling shot the slide, but was showing how it happens when the slide is racked easily. It's never done this before, and there is a gritty feeling while racking, not Smoot like it use to be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just did it with two different sigs and was able to recreate what you have here. These are firearms with 1,000s of rounds through them with no issues (also metal guide rods). What was happening with mine is that the round was moved forward so slowly (by easing the slide slowly forward) that the extractor wasn't engaging the lip of the round. The extractor was therefore behind the round preventing the slide from going completely forward. Is this perhaps what is happening? Is your extractor engaged with these rounds?

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully it can get straightened out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's only happened at the range twice, One after the other, same day. Slide was pulled hard, it has never done it afterwards, as I've shot about 175 rounds since then.
I inspected the striker pin, to see if anything could be hindering it, nothing. But the only thing that feels different, Is the way the slide is racked, it just feels gritty now at the end of it.
And the Only way I can show or duplicate what happened, Is by the ez racking, which by the way, Has never done that before this incident.
My concern is, will it get worse, and happen more times, other than those 2 times before. Where the slide was racked normally.

·
Registered
130 Posts
And that my friend is whats causing the problem. Do Not Rack The Slide EZ.....pull that sucker back and let er' rip. That's it.
Add another to the list of this - rack the gun the way it's meant to, not as if it were a baby's neck. Has it ever failed to go into battery once true first round is chambered and the gun racked correctly, or have all subsequent rounds in the magazine fired w/out issue?

I've got ~3k+ through mine at the moment. Last session was around 600 rounds in 1.5-2 hours doing chrono + load workup...I can tell you the barrel got hot and zero issues.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
When you rack the slide, what you should be doing is mimicking what happens automatically after a round is fired. Do not ride the slide forward, at all. Do not be gentle with it, at all. If you want to test if it is you or the pistol, I'd suggest using the slide release to release the slide after the next few reloads, and see what happens. Also, the guide rod starting to "curve" is to be expected on these pistols, and it will not cause any issues.

On a completely unrelated note, that video is an excellent example of what I've been suggesting to people who have reported failure to fire issues, but claimed that the slide was in battery. When in reality, what they really had was a failure to return to battery, but the slide returned to battery after the trigger was pulled. I'll be using this video as an example of this from now on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am glad no one else is having issue. But this is my everyday carry, my girl, I know her in and out. I find it amazing that most think there is not a problem with this, rack the slide with force. Once again, it was and failed twice. Though it has never happened again, the slide doesn't slide like it use to, I know, this is my baby. It is definitely sticking and gritty at the end. But will post the difference once I get the new rod and spring in. Peace to you all.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I find it amazing that most think there is not a problem with this, rack the slide with force.
I believe there is an issue, I'm just not sure what the cause is yet.

Usually the cause is the shooter, and I'm sure the suggestions made by members in this thread were made to rule the shooter out, to help diagnose the cause of the issue.

If you use the slide release to release the slide, and this problem is still showing itself, please report back and let us know, and we'll more than likely continue to guess as to what the issue is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gzuz people... this issue isn't gun related...its operator error... Jerk that sucker back while pushing the firearm forward and ffs LET GO OF THE SLIDE!.. then bring your offhand forward to establish your punched out grip... quit with the "slingshot" nonsense. Index the mag, drive it home (one action) and either jack the slide back and let it do all the work or use the slide release as its meant to be used..problem solved. User error easily corrected through proper weapon manipulation. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gzuz people... this issue isn't gun related...its operator error... Jerk that sucker back while pushing the firearm forward and ffs LET GO OF THE SLIDE!.. then bring your offhand forward to establish your punched out grip... quit with the "slingshot" nonsense.
I must be wrong in my terminology. I was of the impression that what you said here was the sling shot method.

Curious, was anyone with a PPQ able to recreate the OP's stoppage by riding the slide forward? I was able to with two different sigs but two of my CZs still went into full battery.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Curious, was anyone with a PPQ able to recreate the OP's stoppage by riding the slide forward? I was able to with two different sigs but two of my CZs still went into full battery.
There is a huge number of pistols that will not chamber a round completely if the slide is racked slowly or if someone rides the slide forward. The slide's momentum is what, among other things, strips the next round out of the mag, pushes the bullet up the feedramp, and slides the rim under the extractor. The slide's momentum has to overcome the the force of the mag spring, the force of the extractor spring, and friction.

Do not ride the slide forward when racking the slide.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is a huge number of pistols that will not chamber a round completely if the slide is racked slowly or if someone rides the slide forward. The slide's momentum is what, among other things, strips the next round out of the mag, pushes the bullet up the feedramp, and slides the rim under the extractor. The slide's momentum has to overcome the the force of the mag spring, the force of the extractor spring, and friction.

Do not ride the slide forward when racking the slide.

I Know. I am just wondering if someone has tried it with a PPQ and was able to recreate what the OP had going on here? I don't have a PPQ or I'd try it. Maybe it will help the OP see that this isn't a stoppage that is the gun's fault and is infact a problem with the manipulation of the gun. Or he can just take everyone's word for it. ;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts