Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting a PPQ M2 5" or the Q5 Match. This would be my home defense and/or survival gun. I'm worried about the failure to battery issues I've been reading about/seeing on youtube, which mainly have to do with either steel cased or reman ammo.

I want to be able to run all types of 9mm ammo if need be. Just wondering if the chamber in the 5" or Q5 has been changed at all to fix this issue?

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Running cheap ammo in an HD gun...nope.

I'm not exactly sure what issues your are talking about but Qs are rugged, accurate and eat pretty much anything. Just take the time to run a few hundred rounds through it to work in the springs. 99% of the time it isn't even the springs, it is the shooter's grip.

If the ball drops you won't find 9mm anyway so buy a case of GECO 124 FMJ, seal it up and store it. If the fight lasts longer then 1000 rounds you won't survive anyway.

Reactions: agksimon

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
I'm interested in getting a PPQ M2 5" or the Q5 Match. I'm worried about the failure to battery issues I've been reading about/seeing on youtube, which mainly have to do with either steel cased or reman ammo.
Don't run steel cased or reman ammo in your Q. Who'd do that anyway? Cheap is as cheap does....you get what you pay for. That's kinda like trying to run your 63 fuel injected Vette on 'regular' gas.

Run good ammo, use a good grip and make sure the pistol is lubed. I'd suspect that limp wristing is probably the no. 1 issue when encountering failure to return to battery issues.

I have a Q5 match and 'more than one' 5" Q.....+ multiple 4" Q's....they run like a top.

I've also got a 4" PPQ set up with an aftermarket .357 Sig barrel. This gun runs like a top, but, a good grip is definitely imperative. Just the other day, I let someone else shoot this pistol and guess what, on the 3rd shot or so, they had a FTE. Of course, I had been standing behind the shooter and noticed the extreme muzzle rise he was encountering and expected a failure to occur. Well, as soon as it jammed, I tapped him on the shoulder and said 'you're limp wristing it'. A simple rack of the slide cleared the jam and then using a stronger grip, the pistol ran perfectly. Yep, its a kicker, but, its also a hoot to shoot.

Ya know, I even had my 115 lb. daughter shoot this little hand cannon a while back when I (ok, we) were testing some different recoil springs. She ran a box thru this pistol with no failures of any kind.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My Q5 Match has never had any malfunctions with loading or jamming and neither has my PPS M2, (as long as you keep the extractor claw clean).
Let me back up a little here: My Q5 has an occasional dead trigger. Not sure yet, if I'm not letting it reset or sear problems. I have a feeling it's going back to Walther soon.

From what I've been able to garner by reading, it's not the steel case that I would worry about, it's the bi-metal bullet (copper plated over steel) that tears up a barrel. The Lucky Gunner tests, with a rifle, showed a barrel shot out after 5000 rounds, whereas a barrel that runs copper jacketed over lead bullets can last ten times that long or more.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Never a failure with factory or my reloads in mine. I don't know of FTRB issues you speak of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't run steel cased or reman ammo in your Q. Who'd do that anyway? Cheap is as cheap does....you get what you pay for. That's kinda like trying to run your 63 fuel injected Vette on 'regular' gas.

Run good ammo, use a good grip and make sure the pistol is lubed. I'd suspect that limp wristing is probably the no. 1 issue when encountering failure to return to battery issues.

I have a Q5 match and 'more than one' 5" Q.....+ multiple 4" Q's....they run like a top.

I've also got a 4" PPQ set up with an aftermarket .357 Sig barrel. This gun runs like a top, but, a good grip is definitely imperative. Just the other day, I let someone else shoot this pistol and guess what, on the 3rd shot or so, they had a FTE. Of course, I had been standing behind the shooter and noticed the extreme muzzle rise he was encountering and expected a failure to occur. Well, as soon as it jammed, I tapped him on the shoulder and said 'you're limp wristing it'. A simple rack of the slide cleared the jam and then using a stronger grip, the pistol ran perfectly. Yep, its a kicker, but, its also a hoot to shoot.

Ya know, I even had my 115 lb. daughter shoot this little hand cannon a while back when I (ok, we) were testing some different recoil springs. She ran a box thru this pistol with no failures of any kind.
I really hate the "limp wristing" excuse. To me it's just an excuse for a bad design. Do you really think in the case of a highly stressful defensive use situation you're going to maintain a good grip? Hell no in most cases. I think glocks are the ugliest gun made but the ones I have work no matter how weak a grip you have on them. I've tried to limp wrist them and can't get them to fail.
Stop making excuses for the gun. If the gun is so sensitive to limp wristing then it's a bad choice for a self defense gun PERIOD.

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
^^^^^I'm sorry.:eek: The PPQ is a precision made weapon....built and assembled to exacting standards and tolerances. The Glock.....well, not so much....its built to much looser tolerances....which, in some cases, is a good thing. If that's your thing....its OK.

I do have three Glocks.....I keep em' in my tackle box.....use em' for trotline weights.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hate to be the NayNay on this but the PPQ stock barrel IS ammo sensitive. Changed to a Jarvis and it runs EVERYTHING! I already ordered a Jarvis for my new 5" coming in. Fixes the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
^^^^^I'm sorry.:eek: The PPQ is a precision made weapon....built and assembled to exacting standards and tolerances. The Glock.....well, not so much....its built to much looser tolerances....which, in some cases, is a good thing. If that's your thing....its OK.

I do have three Glocks.....I keep em' in my tackle box.....use em' for trotline weights.
so you want a pretty gun that might fail when you need it to save your life vs one that works. Got it. At least I know where you stand.

·
Registered
427 Posts
[CODEso you want a pretty gun that might fail when you need it to save your life vs one that works. Got it. At least I know where you stand.][/CODE]

Had more issues with my glock than PPQ so I sold it so there is that ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Opinions are like a$$holes

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.
With your stated "logic" a 1911 is a "badly" designed handgun. I don't think so. I think Mr. Browning was a damn near genius designing that firearm oh so long ago. In fact many today, try to copy the design, bore axis, etc.

That aside, how about focusing on a proper hold / grip applied to your handgun first and foremost. I'd wager a bet that the "problems" go away.

Your opinions aside, most handguns when limp wristed will have problem, not just Walthers.

If you are so in love with your Glock so be it, but let's not bash another design with an opinion.

Am I sounding like I am taking issue with your reply. I sure as hell am. Why?
Because it's my opinion.

I really hate the "limp wristing" excuse. To me it's just an excuse for a bad design. Do you really think in the case of a highly stressful defensive use situation you're going to maintain a good grip? Hell no in most cases. I think glocks are the ugliest gun made but the ones I have work no matter how weak a grip you have on them. I've tried to limp wrist them and can't get them to fail.
Stop making excuses for the gun. If the gun is so sensitive to limp wristing then it's a bad choice for a self defense gun PERIOD.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This should be fun...

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
Yep.....I've got some pop corn popping and I just put a beer in the freezer....man is it gonna be COLD. I know its gotta be noon somewhere. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hate to be the NayNay on this but the PPQ stock barrel IS ammo sensitive. Changed to a Jarvis and it runs EVERYTHING! I already ordered a Jarvis for my new 5" coming in. Fixes the issue.
That's odd! I've tried just about every brand and weight of ammo in my Q5 and it hasn't burped once.
As for limp wristing; M&P's malfunction all the time, with a limp wrist.

Reactions: Scar

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
I think this whole FTB thing is related more to 'grip' than anything else. Heck, I've been doing my 'grip' exercises since I was about 9 years old.

I have witnessed this issue with my older 'weaker' brother when he was shooting one of my PPQ 4" 40's....I told him to hold it firmer....end of problem. And then my daughter had the same issue with her brand new P99C (yep, it was a little tight)....she could shoot it and would have an occasional FTB....but when I shot it, it ran perfectly. I actually replaced the extractor spring with a little lighter one and this cured her problem. After the pistol was broken in, I stock spring back in. Just a tight gun....need some rounds thru it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Glock 22 (.40) w .357, 9mm barrels plus a .22 advantage arms slide for survival/bugout bag-No mods same mag's, extractor ECT. except for the .22
Any Walther (mine is P99c) for everything​ else !

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I really hate the "limp wristing" excuse. To me it's just an excuse for a bad design. Do you really think in the case of a highly stressful defensive use situation you're going to maintain a good grip? Hell no in most cases.
I agree that an awkward grip is likely in a defensive encounter. All I can say is that in my P99 that had over 14k rounds through it, I tried shooting it with a weak grip, sideways, and upside down, and it never malfunctioned when I tried to get it to do so with an awkward grip. I did this same test with my PPQ with around 4k rounds through it, and it performed exactly the same.

I think glocks are the ugliest gun made but the ones I have work no matter how weak a grip you have on them. I've tried to limp wrist them and can't get them to fail.
I believe the term "limp-wristing" became a thing from people shooting Glock pistols and having them fail if they didn't have a tight grip on the pistol. It is strange to me that you would use a Glock as an example here.

The P99 and PPQ have built a reputation for working with practically anything off the shelf after a few hundred rounds have been put through the pistol to break in the springs, which were designed for defensive ammunition, rather than weaker target ammunition.

Steel cased ammunition is known for sticking in chambers. I wouldn't use this in any pistol not made in a country where steel cased ammunition would be what was most likely to be used in the pistol. This includes Walther, H&K, Sig, etc. If your plan is to use steel cased ammunition in the pistol, reliably, I'd suggest you go somewhere else with your purchase. Also, if your number one concern is reliability, I'd suggest going with the the PPQ model that was not meant to be a competition pistol.

Was it steel cased ammunition?

If not, what ammo would the stock barrel not run reliably? What was the brand, model, and weight?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Balance,

It was new ammo from Blazer and Freedom. Both 124g 9mm.

You guys may not remember my thread started about this maybe 1-2 years ago with the out of battery thing. Same issue. I sent in my PPQ 5" to Walther and it came back with a new trigger bar. Something was amiss with the FPB tab. Send the gun in and they will fix it!! :) It happened to me at a match and that is the last straw.

Since I don't like polymer guide rods, I switched to Sprinco and have never looked back (my preference). I know a lot of you have had no issues at all with your Qs. If I perceive an issue could arise, I now replace and move on. So I enjoy the Jarvis barrel and Sprinco RSA. Zero issues since the changes and I'm 100% confident in the gun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts