Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has happened to me three times now. Twice while practicing and today at our IDPA match. Previously, the gun fired 2 rounds in succession while at today's match the gun went three rounds in succession.

I though I might actually been bump firing the gun inadvertently but I have been unable to replicate the firing other than the three instances.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I am going to contact Walther in the morning and find out who in Canada does warranty work on the gun. I may have video of it happening. If I can get it I will try to post it here.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Actually firing on full auto, or are you just double tapping it? Because I can make my PPQ sound like a Gatling for as long as there's ammo in the mag.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It has happened to me three times now. Twice while practicing and today at our IDPA match. Previously, the gun fired 2 rounds in succession while at today's match the gun went three rounds in succession.

I though I might actually been bump firing the gun inadvertently but I have been unable to replicate the firing other than the three instances.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I am going to contact Walther in the morning and find out who in Canada does warranty work on the gun. I may have video of it happening. If I can get it I will try to post it here.

Take Care

Bob
Take the slide off and set it next to the lower and take a photo. There is a pretty straightforward way for this to happen. Might be as simple as something being bent or something in a pathway. Strange it would be intermittent though...

What did the range officer at the match say??

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Guys when I say it went full auto it did exactly that. At 73 my reflexes are just not that fast. Aside from a mechanical failure the only other way it could fire that quickly is if I effectively bump fired the gun by riding the trigger. The gun has a very short reset and I suppose under the right circumstances it could happen. What is odd is that it did not empty the mag in all three cases.

Yes, the gun is completely stock. The gun has a 5.6 lb trigger pull as measured by a mechanical trigger gauge.

I have the medium grip on the gun and may go to the large grip. I have on more than one occasion inadvertently hit the mag release with the palm of my weak side hand while shooting quickly. I am hoping the larger grip will bring the meat of my palm away from the rather large mag release.

I love this gun and it will continue to be my go to gun. I just have to resolve the auto firing and the mag release issue. The latter is all on me. I did win the Club Championship today at our match by one second over the 2nd place finisher so the gun did perform well these two issues aside. We had an 8 Stage match of over 100 rds. The PPQ is scary accurate.

Yes on the video and I know Gerry M. is the only man I know who could fire two rounds that fast. Maybe there are others I just have never seen a video of them. It sure isn't me.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will do that. I would imagine they will want the gun sent to their warranty shop here in Canada. I will phone tomorrow.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Firing one or two rounds in succession isn't the same as "full auto"...

I too can make my PPQ double tap or triple tap....it takes some effort, but it's easy enough that anyone can do it at will with practice.

By full auto, I mean the gun will fire the mag till empty simply by holding the trigger down. But if you're sure you're not doing it by riding the reset (for lack of better terminology), then hell yes, call walther tomorrow and tell them about it, I'll bet they'll be rather willing to take a look at it.

Don't shoot it anymore until someone with competence has seen to it. The ATF doesn't really like people having automatic guns without their having been paid for the privilege of it LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
13,808 Posts
Thanks, I will do that. I would imagine they will want the gun sent to their warranty shop here in Canada. I will phone tomorrow.

Take Care

Bob
Yep...let us know what they say.

I'm pretty sure what ever is happening has something to do with the single action lever and the single action sear. The lever props up the sear and the contact patch between the two is very small. Wouldn't take much 'out of tolerance', dirt or weak spring to result in a surprise.

An inspection of the sear assembly would be interesting and for that reason, Walther may want to examine your pistol.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
ATF has no jurisdiction is Canada - just sayin' 😙

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got hold of North Silva who do the warranty work for Walther up here. I am waiting for the service chief to get back to me tomorrow. One of their guys suggested it might have been a stuck striker. This would account for the gun only firing 2 or 3 shots auto. If something was broken you would expect the gun to empty the mag which in all three cases it did not. I took the striker out and cleaned the channel with break free and wiped off the striker. Nothing broken there so we shall go out later today and run 50 - 100 rounds through the gun to see how it functions.

The channel had some gunk in it but certainly nothing severe. North Silva may still want to see the gun. I will let you know after I talk to them tomorrow.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I had that happen with my PPQ years ago after I first got it with unintentional double taps and even a few triple taps. Happened to my son too. It was all me trying to reset the trigger while the pistol is still under recoil. I am used to the pistol now and have better grip and trigger control and no more problems. It is not unusual to hear about the same with other PPQ owners, especially after they first get the pistol. I never had it happen shooting strong hand only.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took it out this afternoon. No issues with 75 rounds. Tried everything I know of to induce the auto with no results. Very happy. I have an IPSC match this week-end. Might try it there. I'll talk to the gun plumber at North Silva tomorrow and see what he has to say.

The ATF is no worries for me but the Queens Cowboys aka RCMP might take a dim view of the automatic auto function. LOL.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I'd like to see video of this if possible. Please post it here if you have it.

Don't shoot it anymore until someone with competence has seen to it.
I agree with this strongly. If there is a chance that there is a mechanical issue with the pistol, I'd suggest putting it aside until a knowledgeable gunsmith has taken a good look at it and tested it out. Even if it is a grip issue or something that can be traced to something other than the pistol, this is extremely unsafe, especially if a firearm goes full auto and you aren't expecting it to.

One of their guys suggested it might have been a stuck striker. This would account for the gun only firing 2 or 3 shots auto.
I don't see how.

A striker stuck forward of the breechface would not allow the cartridge to slide up the breechface. The rim slides behind the extractor hook and the cartridge is pressed against the breechface as it is chambered. You can rack the slide slowly with a dummy round to see what I'm talking about here.

At this point, I'd still suggest sending it in though. Let us know what happens next.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am in contact with NorthSilva the warranty service centre for Walther in Canada. I have been told the gun is "out of warranty". Apparently the "Legendary Lifetime Warranty" does not extend to their products in Canada. In time I will be selling off my Walthers. The gun is two years old.

Take Care

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I am in contact with NorthSilva the warranty service centre for Walther in Canada. I have been told the gun is "out of warranty". Apparently the "Legendary Lifetime Warranty" does not extend to their products in Canada. In time I will be selling off my Walthers. The gun is two years old.

Take Care

Bob
Hello Robrert. I usually don't feel it's my place to suggest to people what to do with their guns but in this case I feel the need to say something.

I understand your frustration with the warranty issue.

Think though about what might happen if you sell the gun and it goes full auto on some unsuspecting person. Might not end well.

Something to think about.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts