Walther Forums banner

461 - 480 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just created this account to find out if the barrel issues on the ppq 45 are still occuring.

I was thinking about getting a ppq 45 but after reading all the CS horror stories I am on the fence and will now consider the other 45's.

That pretty much leaves us with (besides the 1911's), Hk 45 variants (not sure about them either because Hk hates you and you suck lol), Fnx 45 (rubbery/flexible polymer magwell issues), Glock (headspace issues/unsupported chambers i.e. Glock bulge), S&W M&P 2.0 45 (seems to be good but trigger is meh...), Sig 320 (seems to be good also but high bore axis).
I think that pretty much sums up the majority of them lol.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
I was thinking about getting a ppq 45 but after reading all the CS horror stories I am on the fence and will now consider the other 45's.
No one has researched the PPQ barrel etching more than I and I am a PPQ 45 owner who requested and received a new barrel.....following a 3 month delay. If the etching is in and of itself a show stopper for you then be advised there has been no resolution that we're aware of. If, on the other hand the etching is more of a minor nuisance and you are more focused on a solid design and performance then I certainly recommend you add the PPQ 45 to your list and believe it should rank in your top 3 choices.

I am unfamiliar with most of the other models you mention but I do have the Sig P220 and Springfield XDs 3.3 45 and really like both. The XDs is my primary CC but for all around I prefer the PPQ.

I'm sure you will hear from a few other members on this subject.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also had a PPQ 45 barrel replaced by Walther and the new barrel has over 3000 rounds through it and the barrel is still bright and smooth.
I would not hesitate to buy another one, they are too neat of a gun to pass up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did a bit more research and really wanted to get the Walther but the barrel issues and customer service issues were enough to push me to get an Hk45. Hopefully they fully resolve these issues as im sure I'll take a look at them again in the near future.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would have loved to just get an HK45 off the bat but at double the cost I couldn't afford it right now -

My PPQ 45 is a recent batch with a BH date code and hasn't been shot yet but looks good out of the factory - My PPQ M2 9mm is a BF date code and has about 500 rounds through it and the barrel looks good on it as well - Hoping I "dodged the barrel bullet" with both -

But yes I do plan on adding an HK45, they are so badass -

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My "BG" dated Q45 has 700rds thru it (in 4 months) and the barrel looks good.

It's been fed an exclusive diet of Sig Elite Perf ammo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Walther's Copied-and-Pasted Replies

Final response from Walther:
I just double checked with the master gunsmith here. This should not cause issues with the functionality of your handgun.

That was the entirety of the their response, copied and pasted directly here.

"I just double checked with the master gunsmith here. This should not cause issues with the functionality of your handgun."

:(How eerily similar the above two-sentence response to you are to Walther's replies to my inquiries just a few months ago!!!!

I felt that Walther was not really interested in even listening to what a customer complains, much less taking care of the complaint seriously.

I just wonder whether this Walther is the same company as the German Walther Co. boasting of its "legendary limited lifetime warranty" or is
just a licensed operation of the German company.

I have to ask this question because I have been so much disappointed by the way Walther customer support treated me rather than the quality of my Walther PPQ M2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How to Contact Walther in Germany?

I suggest going over their heads, and getting in contact with Walther in Germany. They've been helpful to members here in the past. Explain the issue, and the lack of help from Walther Arms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these PPQ45 barrels are the first barrels Walther has ever made with polygonal rifling. They may have run into some issue here, but it looks like very few have been effected, and this is the first one I've heard of in the US.

Would you kindly like to share with me how to contact Walther in Germany?

It would be a very useful info for me and probably other owners of Walther firearms.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another dissatisfied customer here. Walther Q5 Match. This is my barrel after 150 rounds of regular non steel ball ammo. Don't know how it looked before, it did not occur to me to check that. After all Walther is a "respected" company.

The barrel is pitted on every groove throughout its whole length. What you see on the picture is just a fraction of the damage.

Tried to get a replacement. This is the response I got from them (attached).

So basically lack of quality is quality. This is my last purchase from them. I get that even a respected company can have manufacturing issues, but trying to ac
t like nothing happened is unacceptable and cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lines of pits in my .45 PPQ barrel now too.

M***** ******!

Less than 500 rounds down the pipe. Mostly hardball 230gr practice ammo. No corrosive ammo, steel cartridge cases or steel/bimetal jacketed projectiles. No abuse of any kind, no ++P, reloads or anything crazy. Normal cleaning methods and cleaners, bore oiled and stored properly.

I just THOROUGHLY cleaned the PPQ .45 barrel- And there are grayish lines of pits in the barrel, following what would be the "grooves" of a non polygonal bore. Starting at front of chamber and running perhaps 2/3 of the distance to the muzzle. I was trying and trying to get that last bit of crud out, and it slowly dawned on me, that I HAD. And was now seeing pits that the crud had been filling.

Aftermarket barrel here I come, no way in hell that a roughed up surface like that isn't affecting the rate of barrel fouling. And when the pitting finally works its way to the crown, what accuracy changes might that bring?

Accurate, durable, cheap: pick any two?

With the price of a new barrel (Ti nitride coated? Not wanting Tennifer as an interior finish for a gun barrel if this is how it behaves), now no longer cheap. Walther's positon of "not a defect" meaning "gun still fires" is not mine. It's a range gun for me, proper functioning includes several hundred rounds in an afternoon (without excessive fouling and needing to clean bore to restore accuracy) on a good day. All the other .45s I own or used to had the ability to do that, I would run out of ammo or stamina before needing to detail clean the bores. Especially dirty burning ammo might require a lick and a promise to the chamber if rounds stopped fully chambering at most.

·
Registered
228 Posts
the tennifer isn't the problem. Glock has used "tennifer" for years with great results. This has to do with something else that Walther won't reconcile.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it one of those cases where the bean counters weigh the cost of essentially ignoring the deffective products while providing a "placebo" type of consumer service representative against the cost of making things physically right (replacing the bad run(s) of barrels with properly tennifer coated bore barrels).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Apparently, Glock has the same issues with flaking/pitting of Tenifer in pistol bores. And I find this post saying the way to deal with it comes down to "keep shooting until the rest of the surface layer flakes away and it looks smooth again"?!

See here:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=695354&postcount=14

The temperatures neccessary to apply the Tenifer are high -- about 600+ degrees -- during which some excess Tenifer may brittilize -- not all of it, and NOT the barrel steel -- but a fine, micro-layer of Tenifer brittilization. Beneath this brittilized excess, the Tenifer does penetrate into the steel of the barrel and provides the same protection as barrels with no excess brittilized Tenifer. Glock can produce barrels with consecutive serial numbers, and one barrel will show some brittlizing of excess Tenifer and the very next barrel will not.

Since the application of the Tenifer coating does not interfere with the integrity of the steel in the barrel (no stress-related problems), Glock Inc. does not consider this a defect. Nor have they done much to find out why this event occurs. Glock considers this problem purely cosmetic in nature, which has no effect on the accuracy or the integrity of the barrel. This excess Tenifer usually disappears somewhere around 1,200 - 2,000 rounds. Then the "pitting" will stop or disappear, and only the Tenifer which bonds to the steel will remain.
OK, I'll give that a try. Got at least 4 cases of plain Jane .45ACP 230gr FMJ in the locker here, that should polish the coating back to silky smooth... And I get 1X brass for reloading.

Just got a set of Peltor 500 hearing protectors, I can listen to music while I work on my barrel's interior finish...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Q.Q

Edit: The quote below is about what was in fact fouling. If your barrel's insides look like this, please follow blackhillsken's advice on the top of the next page, Reply #481.
This is after ~500 rounds. It looks different than some of the images I've seen in this thread. I'm new to guns... does it look like pitting? It's on the "roof" of the barrel, less than an inch from the feeding side.
https://i.imgur.com/vZErmkM.jpg

P.s.: 9mm, 4.6" barrel. If the explanation given by Walther is accurate, I do not see this to be a problem, but these spots look like more than a few microns (millionths of a meter) thick (unless the underlying surface is a dull black color). To clean, I've only used Break-Free CLP (twice, sparingly), and Ballistol.

Additional images (better quality):
https://i.imgur.com/BGsUBCe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/s9yEce3.jpg

It appears there's minor cracking over the entire circumference.

461 - 480 of 486 Posts