Walther Forums banner

441 - 460 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Describing, discussing and researching an issue does not sound like the definition of whining and the question remains formally unanswered unless you have the test data showing that it is only cosmetic. If you have such data please post it because there are many here who would like an authoritative and final conclusion to that particular issue.
I'm going by the picture and the reply from Walther posted in post #1 of this thread:

Final response from Walther:
I just double checked with the master gunsmith here. This should not cause issues with the functionality of your handgun.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I'm going by the picture and the reply from Walther posted in post #1 of this thread:
There are at least two problems with Walther's responses. The gunsmith is not a metallurgist and Umarex/Walther Germany has never responded with authoritative data. There is only one test procedure that can verify with certainty whether physical damage is more than superficial and confined to the oxide coating on top of the compound layer and that is a destructive test with an affected barrel. If Germany has performed such a test they have been completely silent on the subject. I have offered to pay for that test if someone would donate their barrel. Unfortunately, and understandably, Ft Smith will not replace a barrel without having the old barrel sent to them......although I believe we had one member who in the early stages received their replacement based on photos provided to the Ft Smith gunsmith?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think your statement is a bit misleading.
You think incorrect, let me help you with this. I've said "any of the serial numbers above FCA0001 could be affected" referring to the timing of Walther's switch to polygonal rifling, but never claimed that "all of them" were. The fact that some of them are fine and some aren't is the evidence to inconsistency of Walther's process.

I am very happy for you to get lucky with yours, but it doesn't make the concerns of others any less valid. For example, both me and oldfart got our M1s from the same place and have consecutive serial numbers; his barrel is fine and mine wasn't, but this easily could have been the other way around. It is a problem, no need to chocolate coat it.
Do you remember few years back when people were having serious problems with CCP and some forum members called them "you, incompetent operators"(c), how unfair it was? Let's not go there please.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, FWIW, with the $100 rebate going on I went ahead and purchased a PPQ M1 9mm. At a price point below what I paid for my wife's Glock 42 I'll deal with whatever problems arise if and as they come up.

I will admit though that it's going to take time and a lot of shooting before I fully trust the PPQ. It's not a good sign, IMO, that this has been going on for as long as it has without something definitive from Walther. At the same time I also recognize that nothing is "perfect" so I suppose we'll see.

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
Tex, congratulations. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Lube it and shoot it....use good ammo and a firm grip.

Personally, I've got PPQ's comin' out my yaya......way too many....M1's, M2's, 4", 5", 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig and 45. I've encountered no problems, other than something I created.

·
Registered
846 Posts
HouTex,

Congratulations! We loved M1 from the first grip.:) This gun is capable of incredible accuracy and is very shooter intuitive. As for the barrel pitting problem, first of all, you may just get lucky and never deal with Umarex customer service, but if not, the pistol comes with a lifetime warranty and Ft.Smith does what it can.
Just give it a good cleaning before taking it to the range, as some of them have tons of conservation paste inside while some come in almost bone dry.:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
wow, this is STILL going on? I was watching this when the OP had his problem and can't believe they havent' fixed it. Whelp, guess there goes my plan to buy an M1...I'll just keep my P99 from 2015 and pass on the rebate. A PPS will be my purchase from this rebate sale as I don't believe they've had these issues

unless of course the PPQ M1's have the old rifled barrels still like the P99 does?

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, I'm curious what folks think Walther should do? I'm assuming most folks want communication. 1) Admit that there is a problem with some polygonal barrels (not just PPQ, because I see early signs on my PPS M2 poly barrel). 2) Describe what has been done so far and what steps are planned. 3) Try to give an estimate of time to resolution if possible, and if not possible, explain why. 4) Assure Walther owners that their barrels will be replaced under warranty.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. And if Walther is listening ...
#@@%@@#$#@!!!! are you serious??? It's showing up on the PPS m2 now too? are you FREAKING kidding me?! Ugg, and I just bought one this morning. now I'm going to be paranoid about the gun the rest of the time I own it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just picked up the M1 and gave it a good cleaning. Before I accepted the pistol from the FFL I stripped it and checked the barrel. Looked good so I accepted delivery. When I got home I did an initial cleaning on it and the barrel is clean as a whistle.

If there's any pitting in this barrel my old eyes can't see it.

Plan to head to the range tomorrow and will run ~250 rds of Fiocchi 124gr (essentially a +P or NATO spec load) through it and 25-50 rds of 135gr +P Critical Duty. If I notice anything odd at the range or afterwards when I tear it down I'll update this post but for now I'm a happy camper.

Edit: Ran 250 rds of 124gr FMJ and another 25 rds of 135gr +P Critical Duty through the PPQ in less than an hour. The barrel may have gotten just a smidge warm but it ate everything I fed it with zero issues. Cleaned it up when I got home and the barrel bore looks like glass.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Just ran the first 200 rds of Sig Elite FMJ thru my PPQ 45, ran a bore patch wet with Rem oil spray a few time, followed by 3 passes with a bore snake. Came up like a mirror.

This pitting issue post has me considering a few patch passes with oil or syn grease post bore snake cleaning.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
This pitting issue post has me considering a few patch passes with oil or syn grease post bore snake cleaning.

Hopefully you have a barrel that is not going to etch. Remember, we do not have evidence of any kind that the etching is anything more than cosmetic. Based on my PPQ 45 experience I will say that addition of a lubricant in the barrel will not prevent etching or even necessarily slow the appearance down. The friction and heat are too great.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
So how is that going to prevent erosion caused by shooting?

M
Has it been definitely concluded the pitting is being caused by shooting?

Walther has yet to indicate any "root cause".

It seems possible carbon deposits post shooting, from incomplete cleaning or deferred cleaning, could be absorbing humidity and causing the pitting. Or condensation whenever a cool gun is exposed to warm/humid air.

Seeing that the "smoking gun" causing this pitting has yet to be identified, IMHO, keeping a light film of protectant in the bore seems appropriate.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Has it been definitely concluded the pitting is being caused by shooting? It seems possible carbon deposits post shooting, from incomplete cleaning or deferred cleaning, could be absorbing humidity and causing the pitting.

The etching is definitely caused by the friction and heat of the fired round. If the cause were carbon deposits the etched/pitted area would not be as uniform as can be observed in the many photos embedded throughout this thread. I have attached a photo of my PPQ 45 barrel after only 175 rounds and virtually all photos show exactly the same wear pattern. I assure you that I am as careful about cleaning my firearms as anyone and closely examine the barrel following my cleaning routine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
The etching is definitely caused by the friction and heat of the fired round. If the cause were carbon deposits the etched/pitted area would not be as uniform as can be observed in the many photos embedded throughout this thread. I have attached a photo of my PPQ 45 barrel after only 175 rounds and virtually all photos show exactly the same wear pattern. I assure you that I am as careful about cleaning my firearms as anyone and closely examine the barrel following my cleaning routine.
On that pic I can see what you are describing, the entire bore surface shows pitting. If the issue was carbon attracting moisture, pitting would only be evident on the crowns of the polygon, where carbon collects.

I plan on running over 500 rds of the Sig FMJ thru my PPQ 45 this month, will post a few pics if any pitting is discovered.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I plan on running over 500 rds of the Sig FMJ thru my PPQ 45 this month, will post a few pics if any pitting is discovered.

Just a comment which I'm certain in your case is redundant. The etching typically starts as very benign and is difficult to see in early stage. You need a strong light, a scope would be better but that's an added cost, and you will need to rotate and tilt the barrel in all directions to see it. Ihave a "new" replacement barrel from Ft Smith and inspection upon receipt using the procedure I just described revealed minor etching from the chamber end moving outward to the first 1/4th of the barrel. That suggests the etching begins immediately with only a few rounds which they used to test fire.

441 - 460 of 486 Posts