Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oK...I've asked this before, but about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a second ppq...I'm shooting the bejesus out of my ppq m4..and thinking for the HD I want something with less rounds on it...

Strictly HD...price not the most important consideration..reliability, quality, ease of shot ARE most important. Wondering if the "match" version is any less reliable. Since I'm pretty accurate with the 4", what would the pitfalls of the 5" be?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
oK...I've asked this before, but about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a second ppq...I'm shooting the bejesus out of my ppq m4..and thinking for the HD I want something with less rounds on it...

Strictly HD...price not the most important consideration..reliability, quality, ease of shot ARE most important. Wondering if the "match" version is any less reliable. Since I'm pretty accurate with the 4", what would the pitfalls of the 5" be?

Hello mikel. I own the 4", 5" and the Q5 all in 9mm. I have not detected a reliability difference between them. All of them, when fed good quality ammo and kept reasonably clean are very reliable. I've had no real issues with any of those guns.

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
Less rounds:eek:I went the other way...MORE rounds for HD.

As Jim said....the PPQ's are basically the same gun....they share the same parts. I've got some of each....they run perfectly.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Less rounds
I went the other way...MORE rounds for HD.
I agree. If concealability isn't an issue, why not more?

As for reliability, I'd imagine than the standard 4" model would be the most reliable going off of track record and the amount of years that the design has been on the market.

·
Registered
500 Posts
For whatever one you have now, I would get something with mags that work for both guns, be it M2 or whatever. Or do the mag mods as OldFart has done. I got a 5” M1 so the mags work in my 4” M1. It’s all good.

Another option for strictly HD is the .45 :D

Dave

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I took it to mean "less rounds through the gun" which makes sense to me.

I'd get the 5" just because it's what you have that you like to shoot, it will take the same mag and you might find it a hair more shootable. If carrying and concealing is not a concern, why not get the option with a little less flip, a little more velocity, a little more sight radius, ...

In reality, we all have our opinions but the only bad decision you can make is not buying any of them.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Reliability all the same. 5” is more accurate. Q5 lighter and red dot ready. Q5 has a match barrel too at least according to the literature.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Because the Match slide is lighter, due to the slide cuts I would think felt recoil might be a tad less. Not a significant difference but a difference none the less. As others have said the guns are all the same internally. If you are not going to mount an optic and want a 5" gun then the M2 5" is the way to go. Less money than the Match for the same gun.

Merry Christmas
Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello mikel. I own the 4", 5" and the Q5 all in 9mm. I have not detected a reliability difference between them. All of them, when fed good quality ammo and kept reasonably clean are very reliable. I've had no real issues with any of those guns.
Opinion in terms of firing all 3?

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
..and thinking for the HD I want something with less rounds on it...

?
Because you said you were thinking, for the HD, you wanted something with less rounds on it.

I'm not real sure I understand that statement. Get a PPQ 4" or 5 "....load fewer rounds in the mag....pick the number that floats your boat.

Personally, I like to run Beretta 30 rounds in my HD pistols....PPQ 5 inchers.

Or a Sig 20 rounder.....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Opinion in terms of firing all 3?
The Q5s have RMRs mounted. I shoot these the best. I think that is more to due with the RMR than anything else a out the gun. If I was not going to use an RMR, I would just get the 5".

The 5" is just a little more shootable than the 4". Longer sight radius, slightly less flip, ... The difference is not huge but it is there. The 5" is my home defense pistol.

All three are great. Once again, there is no terrible decision to be had on this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use my Q5 for home defense. DeltaPoint Pro, Olight Valkyrie 1200 lumen light, Taylor Freelance Magwell & a Taylor Freelance +6 9mm magazine. I carry an extra 15rnd mag. & use sound enhancing hear protection. I see no issue having an extra inch of barrel length & I love having 22rnds of Ruger ARX at my disposal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a PPQ M1 and an M2, both in 9mm and 4" barrels. I also have the five-inch Q5 Match. Unless it is for carry use, I prefer the 5" barrel. In fact, for pure range fun I like the Q5 best out of all the (too) many autoloading handguns I own or have ever owned.

Each of these PPQs has been perfect in the several thousands rounds I've shot through them. This includes a wide variety of 9mm ammo in 115 and 124 grain loads from makers ranging from foreign made MEN, IMI and S&B to domestic brands like Federal, Speer and Winchester.

I normally use 124 grain Gold Dots for my self-defense loads. I can not remember a single bobble of any kind from my three PPQs with any ammo. My Glocks are very reliable as well, but my G19s and G43s do very occasionally have a bobble. So far my Qs have not.

OP, you can't go wrong with a PPQ, regardless of the flavor you choose. Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because you said you were thinking, for the HD, you wanted something with less rounds on it.

I'm not real sure I understand that statement. Get a PPQ 4" or 5 "....load fewer rounds in the mag....pick the number that floats your boat.

Personally, I like to run Beretta 30 rounds in my HD pistols....PPQ 5 inchers.

Or a Sig 20 rounder.....

Guess I'm an oldfart too...I have NO IDEA why I wrote that lol. The more the merrier!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Q5s have RMRs mounted. I shoot these the best. I think that is more to due with the RMR than anything else a out the gun. If I was not going to use an RMR, I would just get the 5".

The 5" is just a little more shootable than the 4". Longer sight radius, slightly less flip, ... The difference is not huge but it is there. The 5" is my home defense pistol.

All three are great. Once again, there is no terrible decision to be had on this.
Jimmo, I only use a red dot on my rifle, love it! Thinking about one for the upcoming 5" ppq. Did see a video where I guy had some reliability issues with one mounted, he felt it 'altered' the slide maybe the cause of a couple of failures...may just stick w old fashion laser!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Jimmo, I only use a red dot on my rifle, love it! Thinking about one for the upcoming 5" ppq. Did see a video where I guy had some reliability issues with one mounted, he felt it 'altered' the slide maybe the cause of a couple of failures...may just stick w old fashion laser!
Hey Mike. I resisted red dots on pistols for a long time. I finally gave it a try and love it. So far, I've not had any reliability issues with my setup which PPQ Q5 with the Trijicon RMR. I have two pistols set up like that that I rotate through, So far no issues with either.

There is a bit of a learning curve to get used to shooting with the dot as opposed to irons but for me, it was worth it.

Give it a try. You will probably like it as much as the red dot on your rifle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts