Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
So you do believe that Walther is still producing this weapon for new sales? I'm fine with being patient as this will be my first firearm. A friend said I could just order the all black one and then get the frame cerakoted to FDE. I found a few websites saying they charge $65 for a frame cerakote. Is that something worth looking into?
For the record, I don't have any special insights or insider information into Walther's production schedules or product line.

My basic judgement is that the PPQ is (arguably) Walther's flagship pistol and that FDE is a relatively popular color. On those grounds, I would expect Walther to continue to manufacture the PPQ in a variety of colors including FDE.

If you're eager to get to get a PPQ but dead set on FDE then having a black firearm cerakoted is certainly an option. Keep in mind, once you alter the finish the resale value of the firearm generally takes a significant hit. It's also possible that if the Cerakote is done poorly/improperly that reliability issues could crop.

Premium Member
I found a few websites saying they charge $65 for a frame cerakote. Is that something worth looking into?
You could try here :

Registered
Be sure and keep an eye on the "for sale" section here and you might put a post of what you are specifically looking for in the "looking for" or whatever those sections are called. Toward the bottom of the main page. 1917

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Just received this email from Walther Arms.

"The FDE models was a special run that we had cerakoted, at this time i'm not aware of any plans for another run."

So looks like I'll just have to buy the all black that is in stock and cerakote it myself.

Registered
I purchased a NEW PPQ M2 9mm 5" black a few months ago from Osage County Guns through GunBroker because there were no 4" NEW ones available. Good experience, as advertised, nice people at Osage.
Also, I thought I wanted a 4" but now glad I ended up with a 5". It shoots great, feels great, is accurate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I purchased a NEW PPQ M2 9mm 5" black a few months ago from Osage County Guns through GunBroker because there were no 4" NEW ones available. Good experience, as advertised, nice people at Osage.
Also, I thought I wanted a 4" but now glad I ended up with a 5". It shoots great, feels great, is accurate.
Very nice! I just picked up a new PPQ M2 9mm 4" black from SportsmansGuide since it's on sale and had a $20 off promo code. I will most likely cerakote just the frame in FDE so I can have the two-tone color I want. I'm excited to get it in hopefully a week. Happy shooting!

Registered
Very nice! I just picked up a new PPQ M2 9mm 4" black from SportsmansGuide since it's on sale and had a $20 off promo code. I will most likely cerakote just the frame in FDE so I can have the two-tone color I want. I'm excited to get it in hopefully a week. Happy shooting!
Congrats on finding one. May I suggest you shoot it first to get familiar (I know ammo is scarce) and make sure it functions reliably. Since it also comes with different backstraps you have a chance to decide which ones suits you best to include with your Cerakote.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Congrats on finding one. May I suggest you shoot it first to get familiar (I know ammo is scarce) and make sure it functions reliably. Since it also comes with different backstraps you have a chance to decide which ones suits you best to include with your Cerakote.
Thank you! My brother has been buying me ammo to get me to buy a gun quicker so we can go shooting. Haha. I will definitely go shooting as soon as I can. I'm still deciding whether or not I want to cerakote the backstraps or not since the original FDE keeps it in black. Decisions, decisions.

Registered
Just received this email from Walther Arms.

"The FDE models was a special run that we had cerakoted, at this time i'm not aware of any plans for another run."

So looks like I'll just have to buy the all black that is in stock and cerakote it myself.
Sometimes getting a stock skin and bones model and upgrading it to your EXACT tastes is as much fun as picking one up already done. Just a time investment, on top of the difference in cost to have it refinished.

Just an example, I see these new Kimber Rapide Black Ice pistols coming off the line, and I drool over them non stop. They have all the features I would love on a pistol off the shelf. But the cost is insane. I had my stock original Stainless II and over time I changed out pieces and parts to make it exactly what I wanted. Only difference between my range queen and that Black Ice now is the slide cuts, but thats a negligible difference for me.

Registered
Thanks you for your thoughts. I feel deceived, and treated unconscionably by Walther. I am a retired lawyer with nothing but time. I have asked Walther to replace it, but have been met with silence. My present intent is to lodge complaints with the Arkansas Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission for unconscionable, deceptive OR unfair trade practices. I also intend to petition the ATF to adopt a rule mandating disclosure and marking a firearm as refurbished. Not only do I view this as unethical but I question whether safety issues are presented by a latent risk I had no rational means of determining or assuming.

Yes, I understand people hate lawyers. I spent four decades defending manufacturers in various, often dangerous industries, and I know when I鈥檝e been hosed. For what it is worth, it appears Earl got hosed, too.

I sincerely thank you for your good faith opinion, but hosed is hosed.
Not being an attorney, but if it was me, I would send Walther (all the executive鈥檚) what you posted to us. That should get the corporate juices flowing a little.

Registered
Better make room for more guns, because this won鈥檛 be your last. You鈥檒l always remember your first one though.

Banned
Not being an attorney, but if it was me, I would send Walther (all the executive鈥檚) what you posted to us. That should get the corporate juices flowing a little.
I got nothing but implied insults and tactical semantic ambiguity as replies-getting non-responsive replies was like pulling teeth out of a mule. I have begun drafting the ATF petition, though administrative law was not my field, and will lodge it with the ATF in the new year. I will seek a rule mandating manufacturers鈥 irreparable marks on the firearm, certification of the weapon as meeting original design safety standards and contraband status for any firearm that does not meet literal, rather than substantial, compliance. I feel very strongly about this, for me and for future consumers. To paraphrase Shakespear, 鈥淣either a Hoser nor a Hosee, be.鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Sometimes getting a stock skin and bones model and upgrading it to your EXACT tastes is as much fun as picking one up already done. Just a time investment, on top of the difference in cost to have it refinished.

Just an example, I see these new Kimber Rapide Black Ice pistols coming off the line, and I drool over them non stop. They have all the features I would love on a pistol off the shelf. But the cost is insane. I had my stock original Stainless II and over time I changed out pieces and parts to make it exactly what I wanted. Only difference between my range queen and that Black Ice now is the slide cuts, but thats a negligible difference for me.
That is true. I've always liked buying things exactly how I want it without doing the extra steps myself, but in this case I'll have to make an exception.

Registered
I don鈥檛 know, Maritime. I totally get that you feel jilted. Sold a bad bill of goods, etc. But I have to agree with the post about not getting the firearms industry any more micromanaged than it already is... Any way for the fat cats in Washington to 鈥渟et precedent鈥 is just another nail in the coffin of freedoms. I know it sounds like a doomsday theory, but I am of the thought process that we don鈥檛 want to cede anything else that we don鈥檛 have to.

Registered
Welcome to the great panic buy of firearms and ammo of 2020. Seriously, selection of Everything is severely limited. Visit GunBroker.com, check local listings, and keep looking if you have to have a specific model. Good Luck.
Even a PPQ SC is hard to find. I was watching one on Gunbroker for a couple of days but it sold at the Buy it now price of $599. No others are available.

Registered
Why? Is a used Walther a bad thing? Just curious about a blanket statement.
Maritime can't answer you, he's banned because of a very degrading post in another thread.

My personal opinion on used Walther pistols, which probably corresponds to the opinion of the majority of the forum members:
Used Walther pistols are usually very reliable and still have a long service life, even if they have been intensely shot by the previous owner(s). But if you want to be absolutely sure, have the Walther pistol checked by a good gunsmith after you buy it. That should be done with any weapon bought second-hand anyway if you bought it privately.

Registered
Walther pistols are very well built, at least every single one I have ever owned has been great. I shot the heck out of my P38 when I had it. It was a Franken-Gun with mismatched numbers, but fit was great. Round after round after round just fed, fired, ejected, and rinse/repeat. Even when I sold it, the fella that bought it from me fires it more than I do.

As for newer stuff from them, wouldn鈥檛 be upset about picking one up second-hand, so long as I could verify it was in good shape.

Registered
Hi!

I'm also considering getting a PPQ M2 as my first gun, but I'm not sure whether to get the 4" or the 5", or the P22Q.
Bit indecisive there. :unsure:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts