Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have a PPQ M2 22lr - 5 inch. Its about 2 years old and it has about 4200 rounds through it.

I have recently started to encounter an issue where the firearm refuses to fire.

The scenario goes like this....weapon fires 1 round. the empty case is ejected, and new round is fed into the chamber and the used case is ejected. It goes into battery fine.

For some reason during this process the internal hammer is not reset. Now I'm suspecting that when the slide moves back the hammer is reset but for some reason doest stick/stay down. The gun then wont fire. It used to do this 1- 2 round in 100. Usually the first round of the day in a clean gun. Now it is doing it more frequently.

I'm using CCI blazer in it which has worked great until now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It sounds like you're saying that the hammer doesn't stay cocked when the firearm cycles. Does this only happen when the gun cycles? In other words, does the hammer stay cocked every time you manually rack the slide?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it only occurs when actually firing the gun - probably now about 5% of the time - it went from not happening to 1 round in 100, to 5 rounds in 100.

Having said that the trigger always resets on manually cycling I dont do very much of that - i.e, no dry firing with it etc so only when racking the slide on loads/reloads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know you said you're using CCI blazer ammo, and historically this has worked for you, but have you tried any other ammunition to see if the problem is duplicated? I tend to have best luck with CCI Mini-Mags.

At any rate, I'm wondering if the slide might be short stroking? Not coming all the way back and therefore not cocking the hammer?

·
Registered
156 Posts
It certainly sounds like the striker is not being fully cycled. Usually the result of the weak ammo or cleaning and lubrication. My PPQ 22 will only function reliably if I use high velocity ammunition. There is a great deal of discussion on the difference between Blazer and Mini Mag 22lr. The general opinion seems to be that Mini Mag, with the copper wash, is more consistent than Blazer. Also test have shown that there is a wide variation in the powder charge. Through a bolt action rifle this may show up as flyers. This is also true with pistols with the added problem of semi autos not cycling properly. By gun seems to prefer high velocity copper wash bullets, I shoot Federal and Remington high velocity bullets, very few Mini Mags. You can also try giving it a good cleaning while applying a minimum amount of lub to the key contact points on the slide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have some mini-mags that I will have a go with. I used to use them before but moved to blazer as the velocity is the same and the blazer are significantly cheaper.

In terms of cleaning - when it first started to happen it was always on the first round of the day when the gun was super clean - perhaps not enough lubrication.

I will report back after I put 100 or so rounds of mini-mags through it on the weekend.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I suggest you do a web search for CCI Blazer 22 versus Mini Mag. You’ll find that they are not the same. There is a reason the Blazers are cheaper and unfortunately it effects accuracy. Keep in mind we are talking nail driving accuracy. If you’re just shooting tin can Blazers are probably fine, if you’re shooting small bore competition or small game hunting you may want the Mini Mags. To tell you the truth the PPQ 22 is not really a nail driver so Blazers will be fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wdarragh, let us know how you make out with the CCI Mini-Mags and a sufficiently lubricated pistol!

I've only ever shot high velocity ammo through my P22 or PPQ-22. I'm not sure how much difference in accuracy it would make with this pistol, but I use the ammo to be sure it functions and cycles properly.

Either way the PPQ-22 isn't designed to be a true target pistol, though I seem to get reasonably accuracy out of it. The Beretta M9-22 (made by Umarex in Germany) isn't designed to be one either but I shot a friends and get incredible groups with that gun. That could be because I like the sights on the M9-22 much better than the sights on the PPQ-22.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so I did a couple of things before going to the range.
After cleaning the gun as per normal, I got an artist paint brush a number 0 and some 20W50 motor oil and gave a light coat of in slide rails. I then shot 100 rounds through it.
I shot 73 rounds of Mini-mags and 27 blazer.
I did not have one issue with type of ammo.

I was shooting at a 500 x 300mm plate at 25 metres and hit the with both types of ammo without any issues.

I think that I'd been running this gun a little too dry. I run the 20W50 in some of other guns during competitions but have stayed clear of using in 22 previously.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the older Walther P22 and other than CCI and Blazer's, it would choke and about any other brand. Oh, it does like Stingers too but they are way to pricey for everyday shooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, so I did a couple of things before going to the range.
After cleaning the gun as per normal, I got an artist paint brush a number 0 and some 20W50 motor oil and gave a light coat of in slide rails. I then shot 100 rounds through it.
I shot 73 rounds of Mini-mags and 27 blazer.
I did not have one issue with type of ammo.

I was shooting at a 500 x 300mm plate at 25 metres and hit the with both types of ammo without any issues.

I think that I'd been running this gun a little too dry. I run the 20W50 in some of other guns during competitions but have stayed clear of using in 22 previously.
I am having a problem that on occasion the cartridge remains in the chamber after firing. It does not eject and the cartridge is not bulged and tight in the chamber. Also the action is clean. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am having a problem that on occasion the cartridge remains in the chamber after firing. It does not eject and the cartridge is not bulged and tight in the chamber. Also the action is clean. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Have you really scrubbed the chamber well?

Depending on your ammo, there can be a fair amount of build-up pretty quickly.

What brand ammo has given you problems?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just for clarification, I know you said the casing is not bulged, but is it tight in the chamber? What ammo are you using, and does it happen with all types of ammo? Sometimes these pistols can be ammo picky. As jkv45 states, make sure the chamber is scrubbed well, but also make sure there isn't any gunk in the area where the extractor is supposed to hook on to the cartridge rim.

Have you looked at the extractor as well? Make sure there's no damage and it moves freely?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been using Federal ammo. I can try a different brand to see if that helps.
I would.

I shoot CCI Standard Velocity, almost exclusively, in my PPQ and most other non-target .22s.

As far as malfunctions go, not holding the slide back after the last round is the most common for me with the CCI SV.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tend to use CCI Mini-Mags but sometimes settle for Remington Golden Bullets. I've heard from others Federal bulk ammo can be troublesome, though I've not ever used any in the P22 or PPQ22.

·
Registered
50 Posts
After about 3000 rounds (mostly suppressed) of very consistent and reliable shooting with all sorts of ammo, I discovered failures to fire. Pregressively got worse. I took apart the firing pin block pinned to the slide (that part the manual says never take apart). I took photos each step of the way, since there's no youtube videos on how to put it back together again. I managed to clean it with 000 steel wool to polish everything and remove all the power the suppressor blew bask into the gun. clean and light 000 polish anything else that felt rough or had power embedded. Shot ok for anopther 1000 rounds. Sent in to Walther this time and they replaced some parts (don't recall but no one sells them, I did look). So if you are brave, try to clean up the firing pin assembly, if not send to walther.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts