Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just got my PPQ M2 22LR and was very excited to take it to the range the other day. I noticed a peculiar behavior, and am wondering if it's an operator error, a design flaw of the magazine, or normal behavior:

If I slam the magazine in place, the top round rotates vertically while still attached to the magazine by the primer. If I then release the slide, it pinches the round and creates a "stovepipe"-like situation. It almost seems like the magazine's lips can't hold the round in place if the magazine gets slammed into the pistol.

If I gently insert the magazine until it clicks, there's no issue.

I tried slamming the magazine in my Ruger SR22, and observed a similar behavior, but not as pronounced. The round gets shifted out of position, but doesn't go vertically.

So, is there a correct way to insert the magazine? To gently insert it or slam it?

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
This is simple.....stop slamming the magazine into the pistol. There's no need to slam the mag in....just insert it until it 'clicks' in. And if this ever happens again, the last thing you want to do is release the slide.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
It's kind of like saying it only hurts when I laugh. Don't laugh!

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
With the slide locked back, all that's needed is a gentle insertion of the loaded magazine until you hear the 'click'. NOW, release the slide by either pulling the slide all the way to the rear and releasing it or just 'thumb' the slide lock. In either case, the slide will zoom forward, stripping and loading a round.

If you have a round sticking up like a, never mind, the last thing to do is release the slide. This could have some really bad consequences. If you've got one sticking up, remove the mag and push that round back down into the magazine.

If you insert a loaded magazine with the slide closed, it'll require some extra pressure to get the mag to seat, as just before the mag is fully inserted, the top round in the mag will make contact with the bottom of the slide. As you continue to push the mag in, the loading rail on the bottom of the slide will be compressing the entire ammo stack in the magazine. That last 1/8" will require a little more effort or a gentle smack with the heel of your hand to get the mag to 'click' into place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys, very helpful advise. I haven't seen that with the 9mm magazines, only the 22lr. I just hope that in a stressful situation with adrenaline going full steam ahead, one can remember to click and not slam. On the other hand, this gun is for range practice only, not defense.

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
I don't think you'll be using the 22 for self defense, so no adrenaline there. Just push er in until it clicks.

As for 9mm. Some semi auto pistols will do what's referred to as 'auto-forward'. If you insert a magazine into your 9mm pistol with the slide locked back, then give it a good smack on the baseplate with the heel of your hand, it'll jarr the slide loose, which will zoom forward, stripping a round from the freshly inserted magazine, chambering the round and going into battery. Most people don't rely on this, as its not always consistent. Its more of a novelty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My understanding is Glocks have this feature.

Interestingly enough my PPQ M2 .45 ACP does this too...but with one particular magazine I purchased from Botach. The other 3 mags (2 that came in the box and another purchase from Botach) I have do not do this. I kinda like it...speeds things up. Pretty sure it’s not intentional, but so long as I know which mag does it I’m fine with it.

I don't think you'll be using the 22 for self defense, so no adrenaline there. Just push er in until it clicks.

As for 9mm. Some semi auto pistols will do what's referred to as 'auto-forward'. If you insert a magazine into your 9mm pistol with the slide locked back, then give it a good smack on the baseplate with the heel of your hand, it'll jarr the slide loose, which will zoom forward, stripping a round from the freshly inserted magazine, chambering the round and going into battery. Most people don't rely on this, as its not always consistent. Its more of a novelty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts