Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have had the longer tactical threaded version for 3 or 4 years now. I love the platform but I have had accuracy issues out of the box since purchase. I have other 22LR pistols that are lasers, but cannot get any type of consistency out of this one. It’s not just me either - anybody that picks it up can’t get consistent hits with it.
I’ve heard these are great little accurate pistols - not mine.
I’ve tried many types of ammo. I’ve disassembled/cleaned the pistol multiple times.
I recently got a 22LR boressight and saw that rear adj sight was slightly out of adjustment and fixed that.
What that didn’t fix though is just the horrible group sizes. We’re talking 10”-12” groups (best case) at 10 yards. I can get 2”-3” groups out of my other 22LR pistols at that distance without trying - with cheap bargain ammo.
This makes any sort of plinking a frustrating experience.

Does the threaded barrel/sleeve setup have anything to do with this? Do I have a bum gun?

Walther is there something you can do to fix this thing?

BTW, I’m a proud new owner of a Q5 SF Pro - holy cow - took it out this past weekend on it’s maiden outing and what an awesome pistol! Love it!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The barrel nut and sleeve could be a problem if it is too loose or over tightened. At 10yds, with decent ammo, you should be under 1 1/2" for 5 shots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ Thanks - any idea what would be “just right” as far as torque with the wrench?
I’d say I‘d be on the looser side vs overtightened. Didn’t want to risk damaging threads, so I usually tighten that barrel nut barely tight with the wrench.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the main problem is that it's a shitty Walther labeled Umarex pistol. (Compare the symbols near the "CIP" (in German Beschusszeichen). Weapons from Walther in Ulm have an antler, from Walther in Arnsberg (=Umarex) have three crowns.)

The quality is poor. Never pull the trigger while the slide is removed or the released hammer will break the system plate!

I compared my 5" PPQ M2 .22 with my 9 mm Q5 Match in a Ransom Rest at 25 m (approx 25 yards). Each one with different kind of ammo and even the worst 9×19 mm ammo needed only about half of the target area than the best .22.
Since then I've never again used the .22 (didn't cleaned it, too)!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the main problem is that it's a shitty Walther labeled Umarex pistol. (Compare the symbols near the "CIP" (in German Beschusszeichen). Weapons from Walther in Ulm have an antler, from Walther in Arnsberg (=Umarex) have three crowns.)

The quality is poor. Never pull the trigger while the slide is removed or the released hammer will break the system plate!

I compared my 5" PPQ M2 .22 with my 9 mm Q5 Match in a Ransom Rest at 25 m (approx 25 yards). Each one with different kind of ammo and even the worst 9×19 mm ammo needed only about half of the target area than the best .22.

I don't think it's that bad!

Pistols of this type are typically somewhat problematic. I have a Taurus TX22, and it had some issues initially. It's made in the U.S. I wouldn't say the quality is any better or worse than the PPQ22. Accuracy is about the same for both.

It does sound like the OP's PPQ has some type of problem. I usually get somewhere around 2" groups at 30 feet off-hand with mine. My High Standard target pistol gets me less than half that.

The PPQ22 is a fun pistol to shoot, but has its limitations.

It's still my favorite pistol of the type though.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Calling customer service is a great idea but have you checked the barrel to make sure there is no excessive leading? I have read more than a few complaints of people shooting Remington Thunderbolt having bad barrel leading in certain pistols though other ammo can cause it too. I have seen suggestions of using Chore Boy pure copper scrubbing pads and pulling some of the copper threads and wrapping them in/around a bronze brush to scrub the bore with. If you consider doing that be sure to use pure copper and not copper covered steel. The PPQ 22 pistols are known to have pretty good accuracy and what you have reported is not anywhere near to normal expectations.

Reactions: jkv45

·
Registered
9 Posts

Yes, it is that bad. Mine is very accurate at 30 yards on an 8-inch plate or 2 inch groups on 3-inch paper targets at 15 feet. But it is a pot metal/plastic pellet pistol upgraded(?) to a .22. Mine has already been back to Walther(?) in Ft. Smith, AR for slide side plate damage repair. My service reps's email address was [email protected]umarexusa.com. Other than that, it shoots well and feels good. I'm just afraid every time I go to the range, something will break, and I don't dare attempt to use HV ammo.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, it is that bad. Mine is very accurate at 30 yards on an 8-inch plate or 2 inch groups on 3-inch paper targets at 15 feet. But it is a pot metal/plastic pellet pistol upgraded(?) to a .22. Mine has already been back to Walther(?) in Ft. Smith, AR for slide side plate damage repair. My service reps's email address was [email protected]umarexusa.com. Other than that, it shoots well and feels good. I'm just afraid every time I go to the range, something will break, and I don't dare attempt to use HV ammo.
It's not pot metal. The PPQ slide is machined from solid aluminum - unlike the P22 which has a cast "pot metal" slide.

The receiver is just like any other polymer pistol. It doesn't look or feel cheap.

There's no reason to use HV ammo, but I wouldn't say you have any concerns if you do. Overall it's a lot higher quality than the more popular P22.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's not pot metal. The PPQ slide is machined from solid aluminum - unlike the P22 which has a cast "pot metal" slide.

The receiver is just like any other polymer pistol. It doesn't look or feel cheap.

There's no reason to use HV ammo, but I wouldn't say you have any concerns if you do. Overall it's a lot higher quality than the more popular P22.
Broken side plate part: #1 photo: It is not ferric metal, looks like plastic and may be aluminum, but snapped like a piece of plastic. It yields to a knife edge to a metallic luster. IMG_8552[1].JPG IMG_8554[1].JPG

The replacement part of the side plate (albeit dirty) which replaced it IS ferric metal, and looks different. #2 Photo.

Methinks it was "upgraded" by the folks in Ft Smith.

Comment?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts