Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I picked up a second hand 22LR PPQ M2 six months back, and I've loved shooting it, when I can wrestle it out of my kids' hands. It's been reliable, accurate, and not at all picky about what ammunition I feed it -- mostly CCI Standard and Eley Club. We've probably put 2000 rounds through it so far, previous owner had done similar, by his account.

As I was reassembling it after cleaning yesterday I noticed a small bulge in the slide, half way between the 'Q' and the steel insert that I believe takes the brunt of the slide locking back on empty:

Automotive tire Bumper Plant Line Bicycle part

Concerned, I started stripping it down again and pulled the trigger as I was pulling the slide off the front the barrel. Here's the damage the hammer did to the cast piece that's part of the left side plate assembly. I'd love to know what folk call this piece, and if it has a purpose other than stopping hammer travel when idiots pull the trigger on a disassembled gun.

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Luckily, my local dealer has one left side plate assembly in stock, which I've ordered. Getting hold of pistol parts in NZ can be a trial -- I know one guy who waited more than a year for a replacement firing pin for a S&W 22A. This leads me to a few questions, mostly around being prepared enough to keep the gun running.

Should I be worried about that bulge in the slide? Is it worth trying to source a replacement before this one fails? Previous owner was running a red dot, and the slide's tapped in two places, I don't know if that's a cause.

Are there other parts that are likely to require replacement that you'd recommend I get hold of? I'm already wondering about putting another left side plate on order. Firing pin, extractor, springs?

Registered
I would just clean it every time you use it.
The .22 is a dirty round and its amazing how fast junk piles up inside of a pistol.
I have been shooting mine for years now without any problems and could not even guess at how many rounds I have put through it .
Maintenance is the key with any firearm .
Perhaps a tube of superglue might help馃構

Registered
That happened to mine
I sent it to Walther and they fixed it

DO NOT DRY FIRE WHEN SLIDE IS OFF THE FRAME!

In my case it happened while taking the slide off and I must of had my finger on the trigger

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That happened to mine
I sent it to Walther and they fixed it
I hadn't thought of contacting Walther, to be honest. Purchased second hand, and all. I've got a replacement part on the way, but might do that anyway, see what they say.

DO NOT DRY FIRE WHEN SLIDE IS OFF THE FRAME!
Yeah, that part does look like it's almost designed to snap in that circumstance. Which isn't to say that it wasn't ultimately my action that did it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're right. Done.
Walther GmbH got back to me, kinda what I expected. A pointer to the manual page saying "don't do this" and an instruction to take it to my local Walther dealer. Not unreasonable.

We only have one Walther dealer here, and that's who I bought the left side assembly from. I was planning on taking the slide in when I go pick the assembly up, to get some advice on that bulge. Having dealt with them before, I'm 100% confident that that conversation will not including any generous offers to replace anything for free. I had to work hard enough to get all of the magazines that my Q4 TAC was supposed to come with, and I'm still not convinced that the optics plates slots in the case were supposed to be empty. ;)

It was worth a try, though, and $70 was a remarkably cheap lesson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts