Walther Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Your link took me to an EGW plate for Walther’s 1911 22LR. If you want one for the PPQ 22 LR, EGW had come out with one specifically for the PPQ 22LR.

https://www.egwguns.com/vortex-viper-venom-fits-burris-fastfire-and-docter-for-walther-ppq-22lr

Thank you kindly, I have bookmarked that. I ordered a 5 inch PPQ 22 yesterday based on what I have read here and on RimfireCentral. I would prefer to keep some sort of iron sights on my example, but if EGW is making a base, I'm sure other companies will begin making good iron sights for the PPQ 22 also. I have bookmarked this entire thread for study once I get my pistol.

On another thought, I was getting the PPQ for a couple of reasons:
I also have the PPQ in 9, 40 and 45. They are probably the best of my collection of 3 dozen or so pistols. The only gun that is more accurate is my old FNP-45. So I am a PPQ fan, and the PPQ 22 will "round out: my collection.
The second reason for the PPQ 22 is for informal target shooting. I am hoping for something more accurate than the S&W M&P 22c with iron sights I own. I have a S&W Victory set up with a 2x Burris scope which is accurate, but just not that fun to shoot unless shooting at longer ranges. The M&P is a great little pistol, and other than avoiding Federal Gold Medal and CCI Pistol Match <the latter is s big surprise!> the pistol is accurate and trouble free. Norma Tac22 and Match 22 perform well in both pistols.

Today am considering also ordering a Browning Buckmark. I will have to do more research to see which model, and whether such a pistol will give me improved accuracy and better stock iron sights than the PPQ 22. I may end up selling something from my gun safe <other than a PPQ!>, but then that happens quite a bit.....I am as much a collector as a shooter. :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
22LR accurate ammo in pistols: Federal Gold Medal could be one of at least two quite different rounds. Federal GM Target 711B should work well. CCI Pistol Match could be "Green Tag," - not clear. However from late 2018 to something like mid-2019 the very popular Standard Velocity (035 in paper boxes) often had too little impulse and CCI will take it back. (Lot numbers starting with early letters in alphabet) . . . and one may wish to evaluate Aguila Pistol Match Competition in the standard velocity (SV) category.

·
Registered
159 Posts
22LR accurate ammo in pistols: Federal Gold Medal could be one of at least two quite different rounds. Federal GM Target 711B should work well. CCI Pistol Match could be "Green Tag," - not clear. However from late 2018 to something like mid-2019 the very popular Standard Velocity (035 in paper boxes) often had too little impulse and CCI will take it back. (Lot numbers starting with early letters in alphabet) . . . and one may wish to evaluate Aguila Pistol Match Competition in the standard velocity (SV) category.

Yep, I'm gonna have fun test ammo in my two new pistols. I ordered a Buck Mark stainless UDX yesterday. So I will be testing as many types of 22 target ammunition as I find appropriate. I've got probably 8 different examples here at the house, some of which are nearly 20 year old, such as Wolf. :eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, both the PPQ 22 and the Buck Mark have arrived. I've yet to shoot them however, due to wanting to only go to the outdoor range. Weather here (west TN) hasn't been good when I've been able to go.

Both pistols look very good, and seem to function well. I did an initial cleaning then tried generic snap caps in both. I found the Browning would not feed the caps; probably because they do not really look like 22LR rounds. However those caps cycle fine in my other 22 LR pistols just fine.

I already have other Walther PPQs, so the addition of the 22 LR completes my collection: 9, 40, and 45. The 9 gets shot the most, and is my "class room/ training" gun and sometimes carry gun. I really like the PPQ line: very accurate. Each is the most accurate of my other examples in that caliber, excepting the 45 which is surpassed only by an old FNP 45 I have.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts