Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with my PPQ M2 .22 shooting really high out of the box with the factory sights!

With the rear sights wound down as low as possible, It is still shooting about 2 inches high @ 10y, 4 inches high @ 25y and 10 inches high @ 50y.

this is bench rested and tried over 3 separate visits to the range!

I have basically been told by Walther to buy a new "Higher" front sight to solve the problem. The issue I have is I can't find anyone that sells a replacement front sight for the PPQ M2 .22 model, they are all for the standard PPQ model and say ***note suitable for the PPQ M2 .22***

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone suggest a place I can find a higher replacement front sight?

Any help would be appreciated and the pistol in not fun too shoot when it is shooting so high!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Are you saying that the folks at WaltherArms customer service advised you get a different sight and didn't offer you one on the spot, or so much as a stock number or a location where you can get one? Do I have that right?

If so ... incredible.

I'd call again and ask for Glen Seiter, who runs the place. And I wouldn't stop until I heard from him.

Walther Arms Inc.
7700 Chad Colley Blvd.
Fort Smith, AR 72916
(479) 242-8500
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,813 Posts
I don't have a PPQ 22. But looking at the exploded diagram, the front sight sure does look like the same sight used on the PPQ 9mm/40 pistols. Now, if I had a PPQ 22 and I needed a taller front sight, and since NO ONE is offering a replacement sight for this pistol, I'd purchase a PPQ front sight kit (no. 2627248) which contains multiple front sights ranging from the shortest to the tallest. My gut feeling is these sights will fit the slot in the PPQ 22 slide...... What have you got to lose?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct searcher451, I'm from Australia (not that it should matter where I'm from) and over here "Frontier Arms" are the distributor, this was their response:

"Re your Walther PPQ M2 the adjustment to lower the shots should be clockwise and this is incorrect in the instruction book.

Dawson Precision In the US offer a range of aftermarket front sights that will be higher than the front sight supplied to give you more sight adjustment options.

https://competitionshooters.com/ "
Just ignore the part about the book being incorrect as the book is correct!

I then contacted Walther in the US and got the following response but it came from UMAREX?

Good Afternoon,

It does seem the PPQ is shooting a bit high. I do not have additional front sights to raise the sight picture to get you shooting lower.

Do you see the sight moving when you adjust the screw? A clockwise should adjust the gun as you’re needing.

Casey Craig
Gun Technician
Umarex USA, Inc.
The next reply from them was basically, Contact Walther Germany!?
I think the sights are too different and I would prefer not to modify something if their is a solution to the problem. (I know it looks like modding is fast becoming the solution)

I still get frustrated though that the manufactures just wipe their hands and say get something aftermarket. I understand every shooter is different, but this is not shootable with its current sights.

I was contemplating shaving the bottom of the rear sight down a little further?

·
Registered
14 Posts

I still get frustrated though that the manufactures just wipe their hands and say get something aftermarket. I understand every shooter is different, but this is not shootable with its current sights.

I was contemplating shaving the bottom of the rear sight down a little further?
I bought the PPQ .22 this year and today was the second time I took it to the range. I had the same issue (shoots high) the first time I had it out and just verified it today. Searched the web for answers and it brought me here. I registered to post.

Have you found a solution to this yet ?

I just emailed Wlather CS but assume I will get the same non-answer that you did.

I also considered filing the rear sight notch deeper but as it sits now (rear adjusted to its lowest position) the top of the rear sight elevation screw is about level with the bottom of the groove. In other words filing a deeper notch would not work as the elevation adjustment screw would be in the way and block a view with a lowered notch.

I looked at the front sight attachment. There is an access hole in the bottom of the slide directly below the front sight. It appears that the sight is held on by a tiny Allen head screw ? It does not appear to be staked on or a upset (peened) rivet. If it is a screw, it is very tiny.

If it is a screw and removable, one could cut a small shim and fit it under the base of the front sight but then would the screw still be long enough to securely attach the sight ?

I like the gun, it groups well but I agree...it is not fun to shoot if you have to guess how low to hold your sight picture if you have any hope of hitting where you wish to hit.

Any update/help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can understand your frustration!!!

Where do you live? I'm in Australia and found the distributer her (FRONTIER ARMS) very un helpful.

I was getting a good response from the guys at Walther in the US though.

Basically I took it back to the store where I bought it and argued with them for an hour about the fact that it will be me as a shooter that needs practice and wouldn't be the gun.

They agreed to send it back for a "Warranty Assessment" where the gunsmith at Frontier Arms "Assessed the gun and has replaced the rear sight as a result" (were their words in an attached letter) they also provided me with a target where he had consistent groupings at 25m.

I then took the gun down the range all excited but unfortunately it was EXACTLY the same!!!

It had exactly the same grouping so I got an A Grade shooter from my club to shoot it also grouped high for him!

Back to the shop I went where I questioned if the wholesaler even attempted to fix the gun and got in another argument with the store.

Eventually the store agreed to just swap it over for me. as I believed I had a lemon.

I thought if the new one shoots high it is obviously how the gun is designed and I would like you, think of modifying the front or rear sight myself to make it work for me.

I took the new one down the range and it is perfect! It is very accurate and it groups really well.

It took me 5mths to get a result but I'm glad I persisted in the end.

I hope that helps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately not....

I did look into them as my first option and even did all the calculations to work out exactly which height I needed.

When I went to buy them I double checked that they would be suitable for the .22 model PPQ and they advised me they were not.

That was the problem, no one makes a replacement sight for the .22 model PPQ.

They look like they would solve the problem though if they could be adapted?

Being in Australia makes these things very difficult though :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
My 4" PPQ M2 22, shoots right on. But I have the fiber optic front sight from the 5" model installed on mine. I ordered it right from Walther. I never tried to shoot my PPQ with the "factory" front site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 4" PPQ M2 22, shoots right on. But I have the fiber optic front sight from the 5" model installed on mine. I ordered it right from Walther. I never tried to shoot my PPQ with the "factory" front site.
Yes, I have the 5" model too and it came with the orange fiber optic front sight.

I called Walther customer service a couple days ago and sent the gun to them at their request. I'll post when I get the gun back or when I hear back from them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No plans for Dawson Precision version of PPQ .22 sights for now

Jim,
At this time, due to work load, we are not adding new sights. If you would like, you can contact us after the 1st of the year and we can discuss making sights for the Walther PPQ .22. We are always willing to add new sights, we just have a limited amount of time to sped designing products. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sales Team
Daniel
Dawson Precision

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I have the 5" model too and it came with the orange fiber optic front sight.

I called Walther customer service a couple days ago and sent the gun to them at their request. I'll post when I get the gun back or when I hear back from them.
Well I got a package from Walter today...They sent me a brand new gun !!

Mine wasn't used much and this one looked new but when I checked the enclosed receipt it said "Replaced Ser#--- with Ser#---"

I have not shot the new gun yet but what great customer service !

I would not hesitate to buy another Walther...unlike Taurus...but that is another story.

Just an update FYI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great to hear you got a replacement.

I too would recommend a Walther again based on the service I received from Walther USA.
My issue was the wholesaler in Australia was not as helpful and the dealer were also not willing to assist me.

Glad you're happy with their service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have this problem with a PPQ [email protected] 22LR that I purchased a month ago.

Shooting 2.5" high at 25 yards with the back sight turned down all the way.

I made a .025" shim to fit under the front optic base and now have the back sight turned up a turn.

Bench tested yesterday and hits the bulls eye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got this today from my inquiry.

"Not for the 22 pistols only the standard Water PPQ.
We will be coming out hopefully in the next few month with Walter PPQ 22 sights.

Sales Team MichaelDawson Precision"

Can't even get them from my dealer here in Ontario.
He said he can't get them from Walter.

Looks like it's time to break out the mini mill and make a spare soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well after zeroing this PPQ M2 22lr in I was practicing yesterday and the rear sight came loose. Thank goodness it didn't fall off as I would never have found that tiny spring.

Anyway I called it a day and came home and proceeded to have a real good look at the rear sight.
Took it off and saw that the dove tail fit is disgustingly loose.
When you tighten it up the base of the sight actually raises up at least .0010 to .015"

To snug this up I used a .003" brass shim inserted between the sight and front dovetail on the slide. When I tightened it up the sight didn't appear to raise at all.

I'm thinking this just might have been the issue and not the front sight as I stated in my last posts.

I'm going to the range tomorrow and leave the shim in the front sight to see what it all gives me.

X fingers it gets me into the middle of the adjustments on the rear sight.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Benney, how did you make out ?
I have the 5c model and I am shooting high also.
What allen size did you use to remove the frontvsight ti install the shim ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
@ 2robin hood.

It is a T6 Torx. Be careful as the screw is not a machine screw but a course tapping screw. The front sight base is plastic and you can strip it out real easy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: PPQ M2 22LR 5"

After doing everything in post #16 I was able to get this thing to give me 2" groups at 25 yards.

BUT I was 3" off to the left of the bulls eye.

Simple fix right? Nope the rear sight has only a partial dove tail at the rear less than .125" at the outer edges. When I moved this to the right the rear sight tilted up because of the radius of the dovetail on the slide.

At this point I contacted my dealer and told him I wanted it sent in for warranty. He said sure but it could take 6 months because of some issue Walter is having in Germany over export bans on them. ??

Anyway not wanting to wait or buy something else or spend another 600 bucks I did this and it seemed to work just fine.

I got this other front sight.

Code:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00899KT0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is made of steel with extra colored optics and has an Allen key provided with it. The screw is also a machine screw.

It is a loose fit but it now gives me windage on the front sight that I didn't have before. It is also .040" higher, so gives me more elevation adjustment than ever before. It also tightens down very snug and hasn't moved yet.
I use blue loctite on the screws.

I set the rear sight back to center (still using the brass shim) and the front sight off to the left and my group moved right into the bulls eye.
This is all with a pistol rest of course.

Not sure what Walther was thinking when they put these poor quality sights on such a beautiful little gun but I hope they watch these forums and make a replacement set for us. We shouldn't have to do this with a new gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks but mine went down level with the adjusting screw so there was no point in deepening the notch.

I get fed up with the back sight not staying put, so I bought this one.

Code:
http://www.airgunsource.com/crosman-lpa-mim-rear-sight/dp/1125
I had to do some minor adjustments to the dove tail but got it to fit well.
Take material of the base fist till it just clears the back of the slide. Then file the rear dovetail till it fits snug all the way.

Zeroed it in on a rest today and at 25 yards I got all ten in the bulls eye.

Free hand I got 5 out of ten.

I'm happy now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts