Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,687 Posts
I hope you sent that video to Alan...

May one ask why you want a compensater on your Q?

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts
My only question is, how does that pistol run without the Yankee Hill Machine compensator?

I've been running Alan's recoil assemblies in my PPQ 9, 40 and .357 Sig conversion, without incident. They just run like the energizer bunny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gun runs fine w/o the comp. I'd just like a compensator on there! I did send to Alan and he said if something won't work with the factory spring they can't improve on it. I get it. Ya'll can think I'm stupid and crazy but I'll make it work!

·
Premium Member
8,687 Posts
Nope BNX not stupid, you want what you want and that is just fine.

I am scratching my head and wondering why but if you can make it run compensated more power to you...

You might want to give Walther CS a quick call and see if they have suggestions...after all they seem to have managed a fix for shooting the M2 suppressed so running a compensator reliably should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For competition purposes the compensator makes sense when run with very hot ammo, see IPSC. I knew a police dept in eastern Florida that ran compensated 9mm Glocks for awhile. Let us just say they don't do that any more.

The light/laser is fine for a fighting weapon, but not if compensated. Whole lot of undesigned for weight hanging off the front of that pistol, including an extended barrel. All that stuff adds up.

I have used Sprinco products on many of my handguns, going back to when they were making them in Chandler, Arizona. I own at least 15 of them for various weapons and guns. I do not run them on any of my PPQ's (2), or my PPQ M1. I see no reason to.

Understand I may possibly be the most uncool person you may ever have contact with. I want my weapons and guns to function properly, not look "kool". There are mods one can do to many guns, some are useful, others are not. In most things Sir Issac Newtons statement about equal reactions must be observed. Some of those reactions can be useful, some are not. But never forget the law of unintended consequences, there is no appeal.

Remember what the mission you have assigned each of your weapons and guns is. Often one gun trying to do multaple things, does't do any one very well.

This is not a judgement, purely an observation from a fud with 62 years shooting, 58 years competition, 50 years combat experience. Understand the difference setting up a weapon/gun between one set up for fighting and a non-fighting weapon and all the variance that implies and requires. Competition, hunting (and all the different requirements that hunting can entail), fun/plinking etc.

This gun the OP is working with is rather schizophrenic in my opinion. Not bad or wrong, just what does the OP want or expect?

Go figure.

Fred

·
Premium Member
8,687 Posts
Thanks. I was poking around the new walther site and didnt see a contact info for thier custom shop. do you have that info?
I think you misunderstood...I meant Walther Customer Service:
(479) 242-8500. I think it is extension 7

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chieftain- I think you are right, I'm asking too much of this gun. I just love it so much, I want to use it for everything! I have a ton to learn but I am a tactile learner and like to get my hands on stuff, ya know? If i may pick your brain tho... With the newer long slide PPQs being ported, how is that different than a comp? would a new long slide fit on my M1 frame? I could get the ported extended barrel and still have a paddle mag release?

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts
BNX the 5" M2 PPQ's are not ported. The slide has relief cuts in it for weight savings which leads people to believe the barrel is ported....it's not. You can either pick up a 5" Q and send the barrel off to have it ported, or you can buy an extended/ported barrel from Jarvis.

Yes, the M2 5" uppers will fit perfectly on an M1 frame.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Per the 5" slide/barrel PPQ/PPQM1 conversion, I defer to OldFart, he is the man. If I was going for less recoil in a PPQ or PPQ M1, I would go for the longer slide/barrel with the added bonus of a longer sight plain too.

If you expect to use any hand gun for regular defense/fighting, I recommend against comps, liable to do more damage to yourself than the bad guy. We havien't talked about, night vision issues yet either.

If I was to set up a PPQ or variant for home defense, I would get that 5" slide/barrel. Set up with my Surefire 400X and use one of my P99 20 round magazines. Then get the DG switch that fit the gun/light best. Presently that is my set up on a Beretta 92 G Vertec with factory 20 round magazine.

Also have one of my 1911 rail guns set up similarly with a Surefire 200XB light & a 10 round magazine. Then there is my HK 45 with a Surefire 300X

I do not normally like the gun light longer than the gun. If I must suffer the additional length to carry, I will get several advantages with the longer weapon at least near matching the light length. Not with standing the additional weight.

Just for the record, even my recent low light training classes were all done with one of my 1911 rail guns. Frankly as a bonafide FUD, I would feel most comfortable with a 1911 if I was headed for a fight. Mainly because I have successfully done that several times before. If I was starting out as a young man today, my PPQ's or HK P30's/P30L's would be my first choice. Frankly there are a bunch of very good pistols available in today's market.

Good luck.

Fred

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I may have missed it on the video, but did you mention whether or not you have tried this configuration with the factory spring? Did you also try the factory reduced power spring from Walther? Were the results exactly the same? Did it work better, or worse?

If you can't get this compensator to work with hot 147gr defensive ammunition, with the lightest recoil spring you can get your hands on, I'd suggest you just scrap the idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks old fart. That's good to know.

Chief-I watched a video by Jerry Miculik on magna ports and he seems to think that they do not put too much flash out. Guess i gotta get my hands on one and see what it's like! Thanks for all the wisdom.

Balance- just ordered the lighter spring. Will letcha know, but my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Make no mistake, I have a world of respect for Jerry, but I probably have a lot more combat/fire fight experience than he does.

That youngster Miclik, will still blow my socks off in competition. Do not confuse the two arenas though at your own peril. One may embarrass you, one may get you hurt. There are major differences. You must either understand them or learn them.

Good luck & Merry Christmas.

Fred

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took my wife to the range to shoot 5" 9mm PPQ.
She never shot 9mm before - only .380
The muzzle flip and recoil was really scary for her.
I've installed Sprigco and the difference was substantial - muzzle flip was smaller and she noticed a significant improvement. I've tried it myself too - I can see some improvement, but it wasn't a problem for me in the first place.
No measurements for now, just the impressions. I would like to borrow a high speed camera and measure muzzle flip springco vs DPM vs stock just for the fun of it :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.