Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I picked up a new PPQ M1. The first time I shot it yesterday I had a malfunction where the slide locked open after the first round from a magazine, with 14 rounds left. I chalked it up to being sticky out of the box, field stripped it and lubed it up at home. Today I had this malfunction literally a dozen times.

I thought my grip might be pressuring the takedown button and causing a problem so I adjusted my grip - still happened. I checked to make sure I didn't somehow wind up with M2 mags - only one hole at the top. I also had the problem with three types of (standard FMJ) ammo.

I'm used to having a failure to lock a slide with a new gun when my grip hasn't adjusted to the slide release, but I've never had a problem with a slide locking back with rounds left to fire. Which also seems way worse.

Despite intensive Googling I can find no mention of this happening to anyone ever. So, ideas?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I too have this issue. This occurs even when I grip the pistol with my dominant thumb pointed down and my other hand covering said thumb. I took the magazine release out and placed it back in, that might help. Haven't gone to the range yet to confirm.

It's usually the grip that's the issue, but I've had it happen a few times with the grip altered to suit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's the only thing I can come up with as well.

I tested this "dry" at home and found that very little upwards pressure on the release causes the slide to lock back. Will test at the range as soon as I get to it.

Usually ppl shouldn't grip an auto pistol with a thumbs over grip like a revolver but like this (found only a Glock with a quick search but it's the same for all):

http://glock.pro/attachments/glock-...-while-range-how-grip-glock-pistol-grip-4.jpg

Maybe changing backstraps helps so you can comforably grip the weapon and have your thumbs out of the way of the slide realease?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try shooting it one-handed. See if the same issue occurs. If it doesn't, try again with both hands. If the issue pops back up, it's your grip. I had a guy that HATED his Glock because it kept locking open. He showed me his grip and it looked good. When he fired it, the recoil caused his grip to change just enough that it would tap the slide stop up into position and lock open his slide. He ended up changing his grip and started shooting very well with it.

If your slide STILL locks open when firing the weapon single-handed, then it could be a spring issue. Most likely a weak spring. My former gunsmith lost my slide stop spring and replaced it with a weaker spring without telling me. My P99 locked open single-handed and double-handed. The slide stop was bouncing up into position withoutanything touching. Spring was way too light and recoil caused this. I took it back and he revealed his error. Love it when they do that. SMH! Notice I said FORMER.

Try that out and let us know if it works for you! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PPQ slide - thanks

Thanks all for the responses - at least I know I'm not losing my mind.

I did try to replicate the problem one-handed and could not. Maybe not enough times to be statistically significant... :rolleyes:

But that said I'm pretty confident that my grip is "correct" absent something unique about the weapon.

The reference to hitting the stop - I didn't quite understand that. I've surely experienced the issue of not catching because I was riding it like a 1911 safety, but I didn't think there was anything I could do to make it catch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry, want to correct myself here. When I mentioned I had removed the magazine release, I actually meant to say that I used a punch to remove the slide-lock level so that I could reinstall it back into place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PPQ slide round two

Went back to the range and could definitely see what was happening. With a two hand grip my dominant thumb sits on top of the other thumb and is close to the slide stop (or the "firing pin" as the TSA calls it TSA - Confiscated by the TSA - Pictures - CBS News). The recoil moves my thumb up along that long slide stop enough to push it up. My thumb sits lower with a one-handed grip and hence there's no issue. It also seems like there's more recoil than my VP9 which is part of the issue.

I guess it's harsh to call it a design flaw but that slide stop is really long, and this is the only pistol with which I've had this problem. I think it's irredeemable. It's such a shame because I really do love the trigger.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
Went back to the range and could definitely see what was happening. With a two hand grip my dominant thumb sits on top of the other thumb and is close to the slide stop (or the "firing pin" as the TSA calls it TSA - Confiscated by the TSA - Pictures - CBS News). The recoil moves my thumb up along that long slide stop enough to push it up. My thumb sits lower with a one-handed grip and hence there's no issue. It also seems like there's more recoil than my VP9 which is part of the issue.

I guess it's harsh to call it a design flaw but that slide stop is really long, and this is the only pistol with which I've had this problem. I think it's irredeemable. It's such a shame because I really do love the trigger.
I've been following this for a while...didn't post because the likely cause was already pointed out. Yep, it's the grip, specifically the placement of the thumb.

The design of the PPQ M1 is perfect IMO....wouldn't change anything. Those long mag release levers as well as the long ambidextrous slide stop levers are perfect. Both are easy to access and operate....and they look good too. But a design flaw? Nope! An innovation? Yep!

I'd say you have a few choices. The easiest and/or cheapest is to simply change the position of your thumbs....just a little.

Or you can consider removing the slide stop levers and cut off a 1/2" or so from the end of the offending lever. The trouble with that is the lever is actually hollow...has a recessed area on the back side of the lever...if you whack it off it's gonna expose this channel. In my opinion it'll look like chit too......but, that's just me. This procedure has actually been done once or twice by forum members......and they liked it.

Another idea would be to see if a P99 slide lock lever would fit/work in a PPQ.

Lastly, sell the PPQ and pick up a P99. The P99 trigger has three options or configurations....anti-stress mode (AS), double action mode (DA) and single action mode (SA). The P99 single action trigger pull is every bit as nice as the PPQ.....some people think the P99's SA pull is even nicer than the PPQ. If you have a PPQ M2, then swapping for a P99 may not be an option for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use a 'thumb out grip' and problem solved. I had this problem years ago with all my P226's cuz I was a Sig fanboy at the time, and once I got used to this grip style I've never had a problem with any other handgun since. I ride my left hand index finger on the front strap too.

On the PPQ you can place your left thumb on the takedown lever/block. it's a good reference point.

This is not my pic, but it shows what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PPQ slide/grip

Use a 'thumb out grip' and problem solved. I had this problem years ago with all my P226's cuz I was a Sig fanboy at the time, and once I got used to this grip style I've never had a problem with any other handgun since. I ride my left hand index finger on the front strap too.
I just don't think recoil control is as good without my dominant hand firmly and completely gripping the pistol.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
Jack, if your dominant hand was firmly and completely gripping the pistol, then the thumb on your dominant hand would not be thumbing the slide lock during recoil. You've had some excellent responses .... most of which point out that the problem your having is grip related....specifically thumb placement.

The pistol can't solve the problem for you....

I'm quite sure if you move your thumb just an rch, the problem will be solved, and gun control/accuracy will not suffer.

Since I've got a PPQ M1 5" 40 within 12 inches of my recliner, I reached over, removed it from the permanently mounted kydex holster attached to the end table, assumed my normal grip and took a look. Lucky me, the thumb on my right hand (I'm right handed) just barely touches the end of the slide stop. Specifically, the first joint on my thumb extends forward just far enough on the frame of the pistol to just bare touch the rear of the slide stop, while that portion of the thumb containing the thumb nail extends past the slide stop....but, that portion is rounded and is curving away from the pistol. In other words, my thumb placement does not and has never had a detrimental effect. Looks like the PPQ was designed for people with MY hand size....yeehaa!

I'd have to suggest going back and re-reading post #9 again.....there's some suggestions for ya.

Like Smokey the Bear always says "Only YOU can prevent this from happening".

·
Registered
5 Posts
PPQ slide lock

You've had some excellent responses .... most of which point out that the problem your having is grip related....specifically thumb placement. ...
I agree - some great responses! Very glad I stumbled across this board and appreciate all the help. Still think I'm going to stick with the VP9 but I probably keep the PPQ as an Apocalypse loaner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
VP9's a good second choice- but have you tried swapping out backstraps? While all the straps are the same I noticed that the placement of my dominant hand's thumb knuckle changes by about 1/4" between all the straps. While the medium strap felt good for me out of the box I stepped DOWN to the small strap to put that knuckle in front of the back corners for a softer feeling and choked up my thumb on the slide release which has allowed a slight change in how I manipulate the release on firing. With the new strap my off hand palm covers most of the release except for the very end, my dominant thumb can now ride the top of my palm, and nothing budges anywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently test fired my new PPQ M2 .40 and PPQ M2 9L. I had the premature slide lock issue with the .40, but not with the 9mm, using the same small backstraps. I suppose one could argue that the added recoil of the .40 was causing my thumb to bump the slide lock lever, but it's a problem regardless. I called Walther and they requested I send the pistol in. I have med/large hands, in proportion to my size 10 feet. I have owned and fired most common modern, and quite a few antique handguns, and have never experienced this issue. Do not use a pistol with this issue for self defense. While adjusting your grip during static target practice may alleviate the issue, it will likely return while under stress when lives could depend on your sidearm functioning. Test fire your pistol using speed drills, or better yet, action pistol competition to make certain the issue is resolved. Also, it is an extremely bad idea to test mags only to the first four or five rounds, as the most likely point of failure is the last few rounds , when mag spring pressure is at its weakest point. This pistol ran perfectly for 4 or 5 full mags, then started to malfunction with the same mags. If this pistol is not running reliably on return, my next option would be to remove material from the rear portion of the slide lever. I noticed I could not remove the lever easily, as with an HK. I was told by Walther CS that they use a special jig to re-install the lever, and do not offer instructions for removal, due to customers somehow ruining the frame with improper installation. In my opinion, the lever is larger than it needs to be, but at this point I am counting on Walther to fix the problem. I did not get the impression that my case was the 1st they've dealt with. I bought the .40 for CC, and the 9mm for multi-gun & the occasional IDPA match. It will take at least a few hundred rounds of 100% function for me to place confidence in theses pistols for SD use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PPQ Slide Lock Problem

Received my PPQ M2 .40 back from Walther today. It did not include any paperwork, so I replied to the email I received from service before, acknowledging receipt and providing lead time. I received a response the same day:
"Hello Pete,

The firearm was tested here with the gunsmiths and they were unable to produce the issue you were having. If they are unable to reproduce the issue it is impossible to know what is causing the problem, therefore, it cannot be fixed. It would appear from the lead build up in the barrel that hand loaded lead bullets are being used. We have found that CCI Mini Mag and Fiocchi 40 gr High Velocity work well right now."

Obviously, someone was confusing my .40 S&W with a .22. I fired two types of jacketed bullets, no lead, and again, I am the original owner of this brand new pistol. Confused by this, I called and spoke with a fellow who again blamed the loaded mag slide lock problem on ammo. Even after I explained in detail that this failure occurred 5 times, and it was slide lock, not failure to feed, he said I would have to take it out and run more ammo to see if the problem still existed, even though they did nothing to the gun. This is both unfortunate and very frustrating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have two Walthers the PPX both 9mm & never had an issue and then recently purchased the PPQ M1 9mm.

I have probably put about 30 rounds through myself a few months ago and last week I watched as my niece was target shooting with the PPQ and as I was watching her shoot the pistol jammed with the last round not quite in the chamber and the slide is frozen.
Ammo used in the PPQ was brand new Federal 9mm 115gr HP.
Never had any issue with my PPX with Federal or cheap Russian Tula 115gr FMJ.

I'm pretty disgusted this happened with a brand new gun. Last few days I've searched and found that this seems to be a well known issue with a lot of different suggestions and no definitive answer with threads going back to at least 2012 or so....

I have yet to contact Walther and seeing the way they dealt with you and other responses. I'm not sure which way to go with this, should I return it to them or go to a gunsmith?

Thanks for any suggestions....

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The pistol has a lifetime warranty. First call: Walther's customer service operation in Fort Smith. They shouldn't be happy if you aren't happy, and it doesn't sound as though you are happy./

·
Registered
429 Posts
I too had this issue and yes my thumb was to blame. Once I got the correct grip the issue went away. Maybe changing the backstrap is the answer but to blame the gun and shoot a different pistol still won't give you the proper grip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts