Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
new here. I own a p99as and p99cas for about 6ish years. Don't need anything else, as I think I've made great purchases, can't say enough good things about these pistols. I do like all the German guns, and would love a 226 or p30, but I'm probably buying a long gun before I buy another handgun. (eyeing an SR9T, since I don't think I can own a PSG-1)
In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has both a newer gen p99 and a PPQ m1, and what I'm wondering is if the firing pins/slide back plates are interchangeable. I know the p99 has the striker indicator on the back so the pin protrudes backwards where the ppq one stops, but the if you were to put the ppq firing pin and back plate, would they fit in the p99?
From photos, they seem very similar, and from the parts diagram, they look similar as well. I just don't have a ppq to do this with.
I'd like to see if someone is taking their pistols apart and wouldn't mind taking pictures of both.
Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you can put a PPQ M1 stiker and slide backplate in a P99. You'll lose the DA pull.

What is it that you're trying to accomplish?
I'm just wondering if it would work, I like the closed up back of the ppq. Why do you say you would lose the da pull? Something different about the pin itself? Would you not be able to put it in double action with the the dwcocker if you were to swap them out?

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
The strikers are different. The P99 striker is constructed in such a way as to interface with the P99 trigger bar, enabling a DA pull. The PPQ striker is designed for a single action pull, only.

Will the PPQ striker fit in a P99? Yes. Will you lose the DA pull? Yes.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Why would you want to do that?
The protruding striker is a great safety feature for reholstering. Place your thumb over the rear cover plate and if you feel the striker coming out on your reholster move, you can perhaps stop a negligent discharge "Glock leg" incident.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you want to do that?
The protruding striker is a great safety feature for reholstering. Place your thumb over the rear cover plate and if you feel the striker coming out on your reholster move, you can perhaps stop a negligent discharge "Glock leg" incident.
I see what you're saying.
I don't carry in single action, and I still have the loaded chamber indicator.
Also my finger is not on the trigger unless I'm shooting, and I have a blackhawk holster, which is almost 99% discharge proof. If I put it in the holster it's going in DA almost automatically.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Does the PPQ striker also lack the lug on the top that the protrusion from the bottom of the P99's decocker button catches?
The decocker button engages the SA lever on the sear housing. The striker does not touch the decocker.

Putting a PPQ striker in a P99 leaves you with an AS-mode-only pistol, with a large decocker on top that can decock the pistol with no way of cocking it again until the slide is retracted about 3/8". In trigger feel, it is similar to H&K's LEM trigger, but with a much smoother and lighter take up, and the same short P99 reset.

I would like Walther to come out with a P99 with a PPQ striker assembly, with the SA lever cut down to where the decocker could not touch it, basically turning the decocker into a "striker block" that could be used when reholstering, and leaving an AS-mode-only pistol with a very short reset. Unless it is a factory option, there is no way I would carry the pistol in that configuration.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The decocker button engages the SA lever on the sear housing. The striker does not touch the decocker.
No debate on the SA lever point, but if the striker didn't come into contact with the decocker, then holding down the decocker and pulling the trigger would result in the gun firing. I have personally used a primed but otherwise empty case to verify that the gun does not fire in that condition. The only way that can be the case is if some piece of the decocker button is catching the striker before it can go forward far enough to hit the primer.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Ah, I understand the question now.

The original PPQ striker assemblies had that tab on the top, and were basically P99 striker assemblies with the tab for the DA trigger pull and the indicator that sticks out of the slide plate ground off. The striker assembly on my BB-date-code PPQ was identical in every other way to the striker assembly in my KK-date-code P99.

Walther changed the design of the newer PPQ striker assemblies around the same time as they changed the contour of the slide. I'm not sure if the new one has that tab on the top.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you going to whack off the rear portion that sticks thru the end cap? If so, just buy 'one'....not 'two.

Or if you want to save some money, as I think striker assemblies are at least $65, just whack off your original.
I'll probably just get a replacement firing pin, incase I want to go back to the firing pin sticking out the back in single action. I'll probably cut off the rear portion. I think it'll work fine, considering the slide end caps are the same

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.