Walther Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had very good luck with GB myself, but yeah, the bid price will probably go sky high when all is said and done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Genius or not, I'm pretty sure he will be happy with his purchase. Not everyone is as tech savvy or know where to find the best deals online. You mentioned a cheaper price but never included a name or link for others to find it. I've seen it for $514 on GrabAGun.com Maybe that is your "online dealer of choice" too... or maybe there is another online dealer with a similar price... idk because you never shared that info. So how can you expect someone to know where the best deal is if you don't actually share that info with others?

Me personally, I use SlickGuns.com to help me find the best price and availability of a gun. I'm not a fan of GB because I'm not a fan of auctions or paying $20 shipping fees. But it obviously works for other people. Paying $40 more for his PPQ isn't the end of the world and it doesn't make someone an idiot. He paid about a 9% premium for it. Some state taxes are that much. There is no doubt in my mind he would have purchased the PPQ at $514 if he knew where to find it at.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
As suspected, some genius overpaid for it.

$540+ $20 shipping. Wasted $40. Some people have more money than brains.
Overpaying is a relative concept. Some people don't base their buying decisions on the lowest possible price, especially for older guns. Sometimes paying a bit more is actually a "genius" move if you know what you are buying. The $450 that I paid last year on GB using BIN for a PP Super in .380 with all the goodies was a net gain of at least $600. :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Overpaying is a relative concept. Some people don't base their buying decisions on the lowest possible price, especially for older guns.
I don't disagree with your "collector" item argument, but a PPQ m1 is no such collector item - at least not yet. They're readily available on the market.

If you can buy from the low priced guy that also delivers phenomenal service, then I do consider paying more to be wasting money, whether that's your LGS or an online dealer.

I'll be sure to look you up next time I post something for sale... I'm always looking to get top dollar when I'm selling something ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein
It's a great quote, but not really applicable here.

A consumer buying a product certainly has the means to educate himself on the value of the deal.

If it were someone that paid a premium at a LGS, due to a lack of internet usage, I'd cut the guy some slack.

But since he bought it online, he could've very easily posted on any of several dozen online forums and been directed to a better price or browsed any number of online sellers to find a better price on his own.

I would attribute this purchase to laziness. Which is exactly what sellers on GB count on.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It's impossible for any of us here to truly evaluate what kind of deal this was or was not. Enticements may have been in the offing that we don't see represented here ... additional mags or holsters or whatnot, for example. The seller and buyer might have been in the same area and worked out a face-to-face and didn't have to ship. Any number of things could have entered into the equation to sweeten the deal and make it worthwhile for the buyer, and for the seller. And even if nothing else was going on but laziness, well, good for the seller. In the overall scheme of things, there are bigger fish to fry?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I can't refute any of your arguments, but I'll say they're some mighty big assumptions.

The reason for the original post was to show a "good deal". I simply made the argument that there were better deals to be had, for the good of any that may have been interested in a PPQ m1.

Take the advice or don't - I don't care to debate this matter any further. I'll be sure to not any here know of a lower price in the future! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I simply made the argument that there were better deals to be had, for the good of any that may have been interested in a PPQ m1.

Take the advice or don't - I don't care to debate this matter any further. I'll be sure to not any here know of a lower price in the future! :rolleyes:
No, you denigrated the buyer as a "genius", and then you extrapolated that further to laziness for not ferreting out the lowest possible price.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
We don't seem to be gaining any traction here, folks. This is supposed to be a friendly forum, after all. How about we wrap this one up and skip on down the road ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.