Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyes are getting old and I have a hard time focusing on the rear sight. So I want to put a red dot on my ppq m1. It seems the easiest way to do that is trade for a q4 tac. Will my holster and mags fit the q4 tac? Is there an easier / cheaper way to add a red dot to my m1?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Well for starters, you're supposed to focus on the front sight.

Also, the Q4 tac is a gussied up PPQ M2, so the magazines from the M1 won't fit.

Unless you're dead set on a new gun, I'd recommend trying some nicer easier to focus on sights, like the TruGlo TFX Pro (combination tritium and fiber optic sights), or even any other sights like the Trijicon HD which give you a nice crisp white ring in the front sight that near enough forces you to focus on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks.
I’m not set on a new gun, just being able to shoot well. I’ve tried numerous sights and the rear is so blurry I can’t get the front sight centered in the rear sight.
I took shooting lessons front the Sheriff’s department and I had to tilt my head back so far to get a sight picture, the training instructor suggested a red dot. He said it would solve my issue and I would be able to use a normal stance and shoot much better.
I love my PPQ M1 so was trying to find a solution with it. I thought they made a q4 tac m1, but I could be wrong. If not I will switch to a p365 xl, which can take various red dots.
I plan to take more lessons if I can get this solved.
Thanks for all the help. It is sad to get old eyes.....

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
From one old fart to what sounds like another.......been there, done that. I sent a couple of my slides to https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ for custom milling of the slide to accept a standard Walther optics plate. I currently use a Shield RMS and the Shield 'low mount' plate to secure the optics to the slide. But, since the milling duplicates the factory milling on the Q4/5, you could use any factory Walther mounting plate.

The Q4, or M2 will fit most holsters that were made for the M1. Whether your Q4 or milled M1 would fit with an installed optic, depends on how the holster is cut at the top (room for the optic) or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, these are both good suggestions for consideration. Still leaning to red dot. I have numerous semi-autos and revolvers I need to fix (or sell to fund the fix on the others). I put a red dot on one semi, a Ruger mark III 22LR, for small game hunting and I couldn’t be happier. That is why I’m leaning red dot. On your link to the sights, it is for a Glock. Do they make that sight for a PPQ or a Ruger? I didn’t see walther listed on their website. I may do the sights on a Ruger and red dot on the PPQ for comparison. The walther website shows a q4 tac m1, but it may be discontinued. Does anyone know if it is a current model?

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you know what red dot you want, the least expensive and easiest would be to have your slide milled. You will have to use a red dot that has mounting screws that are closer together, like Burris, Vortex, Shield, Deltapoint Pro, etc. This will also give you the lowest height red dot. Cost should run under $200 plus the cost of your red dot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. After thinking on it for a day, I’m leaning to selling my PPQ m1 and just buying the PPQ Q4 TAC M1 if the mags are interchangeable. Not sure how much money I will lose but if it costs $200 to mill slide the difference won’t be too bad, then I can use a wide array of available red dots plus have a threaded barrel to boot. Are there any other pluses to the Q4 to help talk me into it? Thanks for the help everyone. Anyone know where the best price on a Q4 m1 would be?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks. After thinking on it for a day, I’m leaning to selling my PPQ m1 and just buying the PPQ Q4 TAC M1 if the mags are interchangeable. Not sure how much money I will lose but if it costs $200 to mill slide the difference won’t be too bad, then I can use a wide array of available red dots plus have a threaded barrel to boot. Are there any other pluses to the Q4 to help talk me into it? Thanks for the help everyone. Anyone know where the best price on a Q4 m1 would be?
I assume Walther has had a price increase recently, as there is a lot of fluctuating prices.
I bought an M1 Q4 last week for $569 from gunbuyer, but they current show $699 for it. Cheapest I see one tonight is $589.99 shipped from Smokey Mountain Gun Works [I have no affiliation with either place].

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
incogneato, thanks for the tip and the information. I called them and they gave me the lower price. Just ordered mine. Regards!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From one old fart to what sounds like another.......been there, done that. I sent a couple of my slides to https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ for custom milling of the slide to accept a standard Walther optics plate. I currently use a Shield RMS and the Shield 'low mount' plate to secure the optics to the slide. But, since the milling duplicates the factory milling on the Q4/5, you could use any factory Walther mounting plate.

The Q4, or M2 will fit most holsters that were made for the M1. Whether your Q4 or milled M1 would fit with an installed optic, depends on how the holster is cut at the top (room for the optic) or not.
IOF (or anyone), I may decide later to mill the slide on my existing PPQ, even though I bought a Q4 Tac, so that I can use both of them effectively. On the PPQ, could it be milled so that the rear factory site stays, and could then be used for co-witness? Or does the red dot need to be all the way to the rear of the slide? Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
I don't know if the PPQ slide can be milled so the rear factory site stays. The person to ask is Mark at https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/. Mark does excellent work, milling the slide so it'll take the Walther plates as well as the 'low mount' Shield. He even cerakotes the milled area to match the slide.

I do have to say, that once you've used/practiced with an RMR/RMS (optic/red dot), you'll get to a point that every time your raise the pistol up 'there's the dot'.....there's no 'hunting for the dot'.

·
Registered
702 Posts
IOF (or anyone), I may decide later to mill the slide on my existing PPQ, even though I bought a Q4 Tac, so that I can use both of them effectively. On the PPQ, could it be milled so that the rear factory site stays, and could then be used for co-witness? Or does the red dot need to be all the way to the rear of the slide? Thanks
Yes, the slide can be milled for direct mount without taking out the rear sight. BUT - it cannot be milled as low on the slide. But it should still be lower than using an adaptor plate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My new Q4 Tac came with LPA sights, fiber optic in Front and blacked out notch in the rear. This is like kar98 was recommending. I must say, being blacked out does help me ignore the blurry rear sight. I’m going to shoot it with the LPA sights some before I switch to red dot and see how much difference the red dot makes vs. LPA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My eyes are getting old and I have a hard time focusing on the rear sight. So I want to put a red dot on my ppq m1. It seems the easiest way to do that is trade for a q4 tac. Will my holster and mags fit the q4 tac? Is there an easier / cheaper way to add a red dot to my m1?
Thanks
EVOLUTION GUN WORKS

OPTIC MOUNT

Material: 7075 Aluminum
Coating: Matte Black Hardcoat
Overall Length: 1.831"
Overall Width: 1.062"
Mounting Hardware: (2) 8-32 Button Head Screws
Red Dot Fitment: Vortex Razor, C-More RTS & STS

This mount fits:
Walther PPQ Classic (M1)
Walther PPQ M2 (All Models)
Walther PPQ 45
Walther PPQ 45 SD
Walther PPQ Sub Compact
Walther P99 (All Models)
Walther PPX (All Models)
Walther Creed
Walther Creed 10 Round
Walther PPS (All Models)
Walther PPS M2 (All Models)

This mount does not fit:
Walther PPQ 22
Walther PPQ Q4 Tac
Walther Q5 Match

The PPQ sight has a hole drilled in the bottom of the dovetail to accomodate the plunger on some models of the Walthers. This plunger may also be removed from the slide if desired.
Simply remove the rear sight on your gun and replace it with our mount in order to mount your Vortex Razor, C-More RTS or STS red-dot sight. No alterations are required. You can take our mount off and replace your rear sight at any time. Mounting hardware included.

Installation Instructions
- Remove the rear sight*
- Install the EGW Sight Mount in the dovetail
- Tighten set screw (if applicable)
- Place the red dot sight on the EGW Sight Mount
(placing a small piece of paper between the red dot sight and the sight mount will make for easier removal and will keep Loctite off of the red dot sight.)
- Apply blue Loctite to the provided mounting screws
- Torque mounting screws to 15in/lbs

The screws that are included with this mount require a 5/64'' allen wrench for installation.

CAN BUY on Ebay or Direct from EGW about $50 to add your optic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts