Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New to the forum and to pistols; grew up with a wheel gun and shot gun in the house. Bought a used PPQ M1 to deal with the Toilet Paper Apocalypse. Was practicing cartridge ejection and mag loading with Snap Caps in magazine. Magazine #1, smooth as silk. Magazine #2 is stuck like nobody's business. Both are 15 cartridge mags. I have taken the slide off, put it back on, jiggled and poked everything I can see, let it sit overnight and have taken the spring and all internal parts out of the magazine - still won't eject. The trigger pull and the striker clicks, but can't get the mag out to save my life. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post pictures?
Thanks for taking a look. I put the mag spring, base plate and feeder(?) back together for one of the pics - still can't release the mag. Please let me know if you would like to see different views.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,808 Posts
Are you able to depress/move the 'paddle' magazine release at all????

If you look down the empty magazine from the top, you should be able to see the mag catch nub stick thru the magazine 'catch hole'. Can you see the nub?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you able to depress/move the 'paddle' magazine release at all????

If you look down the empty magazine from the top, you should be able to see the mag catch nub stick thru the magazine 'catch hole'. Can you see the nub?[/]
Yes. It is engaged - can't move it with a steel Cross pen refill. With the slide removed, the mag release (either side) will only move about 1/8 - 3/16 in, and it moves the trigger with it. with the slide off the trigger can be fully depressed along with the mag releases. I can grab the top of the empty magazine between my thumb and forefinger and move it left and right, side to side and up and don, but it will not release.

·
Premium Member
13,808 Posts
I'm sorry to say, but I really don't have a clue. What you're describing makes no sense to me....but I'm old.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to use a brass punch and punch the 'pivot pin' out that's holding the paddle mag release. This may or may not help.

Or, you could completely strip the frame, removing the takedown latch, locking block and sear housing. That should allow you to also remove the trigger bar assembly. Then all you'd have is a stripped frame with a stuck mag and a mag release lever with 'no pin'. The mag release lever cannot be remove with a mag in the magwell, as the mag release comes out thru the magwell.

Or, you could just take the pistol to a gunsmith and ask him to take a look at it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for trying. Finding a gunsmith that is open right now may be a challenge. Do you think a shot of WD-40 might help for now? This gun was purchased on consignment, looks like it might benefit from a clean/lube.

·
Premium Member
13,808 Posts
Nope, WD-40 won't fix this, and the pictures seem to indicate the gun is pretty clean. Something seems to be preventing the mag release from pivoting as far as it should. If it were me, I'd knock out the pivot pin and see if that might let the mag release move around enough to let you remove the mag.

Here http://www.carlwalther.com/views/ev_ppq.pdf download this exploded view, it might help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is helpful, thanks. I 'll try it with my needlenose Leatherman multi-tool. I'll put some tape on the jaws so they don't chew up the mag release pin.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Nope, WD-40 won't fix this, and the pictures seem to indicate the gun is pretty clean. Something seems to be preventing the mag release from pivoting as far as it should. If it were me, I'd knock out the pivot pin and see if that might let the mag release move around enough to let you remove the mag.

Here http://www.carlwalther.com/views/ev_ppq.pdf download this exploded view, it might help.

Just so you know, some of us refer to OldFart as the Walther Wizard. I'd take his advice(and have many times) as he likely knows the weapon better than 90% of the gunsmiths you're likely to encounter.

(Secret photo of OldFart reviewing latest specs from Walther in an undisclosed location)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you both, gentlemen, I will heed your advice. If I can't knock it out myself I'll wait and take it to a gunsmith. I know I could take the gun apart, but facing the Toilet Paper Apolcalypse with a box of PPS parts is not a recipe for success. Thanks for helping a newbie!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Fart, sir, you are a frickin' genius! I got the magazine out and do not appear to have destroyed anything. Should I pitch that magazine or just chalk it up to being a random jam?

·
Premium Member
13,808 Posts
Hee, hee.......8ell, I'd say send it to me.....I need another project. :D

First off, don't put that mag back in. Is that mag an original Walther mag?

I really would like to see it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And there's your sign: both magazine baseplates are two different Taylor Freelance (or TF knockoff) designs. I don't know when either mag is genuine Walther, even though the metal sleeves both have Walther logos both I will send pics of the baseplates and the magazine sleeve. Of course, when I took the live rounds out of the spare mag, put in a Snap Cap and clicked it into the grip : stuck, won't eject the magazine. (the Snap Cap rejected out of the ejection port fine). And here is the added fun: the base plate on the spare mag is secured with a tiny Allen head screw...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone who helped out! A heaping helping of Old Fart's advice, and my observation that pushing on the pivot pin made a DIFFERENT part of the gun move than what I was pushing solved it. ��Feeling extra stupid. 😖 Where's that Harrington & Richardson .22 LR 9-shot wheel gun I grew up with?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts