Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had one for several years now and really like shooting it. However, I have yet to carry it. The trigger is short and light. so my two CCWs are the P99AS and Sig p250. I'm very comfortable with these and I've been through alot of guns. Does anyone else deal with this? Of those who carry a PPQ, do you ever feel reservation?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I've carried various PPQs since 2011 in fact a Q45 is on my hip right now in a Wright Regulator Cross draw holster.

I haven't had a ND yet and yes I've been in a couple of "stress" situations over the last 7 years carrying a Q.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've had one for several years now and really like shooting it. However, I have yet to carry it. The trigger is short and light. so my two CCWs are the P99AS and Sig p250. I'm very comfortable with these and I've been through alot of guns. Does anyone else deal with this? Of those who carry a PPQ, do you ever feel reservation?

I have the PPQ M1 in 40 S&W. Carried it daily until I bought my PPS M2. Started carrying it mainly due to size & weight. Have now ordered a different holster from PJ Holsters that should work better for me. Same one I use with the PPS.
I never felt any reservations due to the trigger, actually I like it better. Just takes some getting used to & trigger discipline.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I have a PPQ M1 but it serves as one of my HD guns. I don't carry it because I had been primarily carrying my P99c for two years before I bought it and like my P99c and P99 more for carry. With that, I still would not have an issue carrying my Q if I wanted to.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Why downgrade from the P99? No, I'm not trolling. Its the father of the PPQ, has many extras that were stripped out for the PPQ, and the trigger (even in SA) is not feather light. I've handled and shot PPQs and still can't figure out why I would carry a 4in version (even with a paddle) instead of my P99AS.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Because the PPQ has a better trigger and superior ergonomics plain and simple. I too love my P99s and P99cs and when the job or occasion demand I carry them but I happily revert to the Q platform and that sublime trigger as soon as I am able.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Because the PPQ has a better trigger and superior ergonomics plain and simple. I too love my P99s and P99cs and when the job or occasion demand I carry them but I happily revert to the Q platform and that sublime trigger as soon as I am able.
It's all subjective and depends on what you like. I prefer the trigger and ergos of the P99. Even though the texturing on the PPQ is better. You can't lose with either, that's why I have both.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Well you mentioned a downgrade and I was pointing out that in fact that was not the case....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bought a M1 when they first came out. And started carrying it about six weeks later. Waited because I had to wait for my Raven Concealment holster to come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
I’d like to posit those people who are uncomfortable with a Q’s trigger for carry may not be well trained in the proper manipulation of a defensive handgun trigger, and/or may have bad habits regarding the proper manipulation of a defensive handgun trigger.

Pulling/staging the trigger to the wall and then taking a shot with the light break can certainly be considered “light for carry” and is a terrible and potentially dangerous habit many shooters today have. I feel like the incessant focus and competition on trigger reset distances exacerbates this behavior.

However, overcome this potential poor training/bad habit and there’s plenty of pre travel in the trigger to almost emulate the venerable P99’s AS’s light trigger-forward mode.....

PPQ should be used safely as intended, and will essentially equal the P99 in mechanical safety.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The PPQ is a great shooting gun. If you can figure out how to carry a gun that size, I think you would be very well armed, especially with an extra mag or two. I've been carrying for some time now and I hate small of back carry. I spend part of my time in an office and part moving around. Small of back is fine when standing, especially if it is at a cant, but sitting for any period of time is hard.

I prefer 3-4 o'clock carry (right handed) since it is fast to draw and easy to protect from gun grabs. With that said, I had to go with a sub-compact gun so the grip would not stick out. I carry with a clip only as HighValleyRanch mentioned. It is thinner than any holster and pretty versatile. Don't wear your belt too tight or wear very tight pants because it will bother you after a while.

I suggest you get a training gun or something around that size to carry around the house and see how it feels. You will be very subconscious initially, but dress in dark colors and it will blend in. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

I do not find the Ergos "better" merely different. As for the trigger - too light for carry IMHO and the stripping out of the decocker and its safety feature makes the PPQ as a carry weapon a no-go for me. As a competition pistol is excels IMHO, as a carry weapon - its a stripped down version of the original. YMMV :cool:

As for those positing things.....imagination is not reality. My training is perfectly fine. However, ALL the NDs I have witnessed have been either distraction or stress related. How many of you have pulled, aimed, and decided shoot-no shoot, and done so under real stress? Too light a trigger under those circumstances IS a problem IMHO. As for shooting......I hit what I aim at even under pressure and do so ONLY when I decide to hit, so I'm all good- thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm with Muck on this.

I had a Q and had no qualms carrying it at all. Now, however, I carry a 99c. If I had another Q, I would still have no issues carrying it. A solid belt and a sturdy carry rig (and consistent practice and procedure) help(s) address any issues you might have.

All that said, many people prefer to carry a sidearm that has a consistent trigger pull.

I think it's OF that says, "keep your booger hook off the boom switch and you're fine."

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
As for those positing things.....imagination is not reality.
How many of you have pulled, aimed, and decided shoot-no shoot, and done so under real stress? Too light a trigger under those circumstances IS a problem IMHO
When I speak of a stress situation I am not talking about a proficiency exercise.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Almost identical and identical can be quite different.

Make no mistake the P99 and P99c are great weapons and I have no hesitation carrying either, still in all I carry a PPQ as my preferred EDC.

·
Registered
92 Posts
M1 was my first carry pistol. Never found the trigger to be an issue at all even as a newbie. But I never touch the trigger outside of a range or dry fire. I switched to a P99c for the added DA security but once I realized I never touch the trigger I went back to the ppq.

The ppq was and still is my favorite pistol. It stays by me at all times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.