Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a ccw that's smaller than the PPQ (already have a PPS M1). I find the PPQ a little big to carry due to the grip. I prefer paddle mag release so I was thinking about the VP9SK. I think I might be able to fit 2.5 or 3 fingers with the flat base mag. Anyone have both and does the shorter grip make a difference?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looking for a ccw that's smaller than the PPQ (already have a PPS M1). I find the PPQ a little big to carry due to the grip. I prefer paddle mag release so I was thinking about the VP9SK. I think I might be able to fit 2.5 or 3 fingers with the flat base mag. Anyone have both and does the shorter grip make a difference?

I have both, if grip length is your primary concern, the SK is shorter than the full size VP9 and/or PPQ....it's really quite comfortable to shoot and very controllable. The 13 round mags give full grip without being quite, though almost, as long as full size version.

FWIW, I find the SK to be silly accurate and able to handle all loads I tossed in, including Speer and Federal 115g +P+

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered both the p99c and p365. Everyone that tried to explain how the p99c trigger shoots and the different "modes" took up an entire paragraph so ruled it out. Plus I'm not really a fan of heavy DA weight and pull length.

I'd rather have all my carry pistols be either paddles or buttons. I don't want to mix and match. That's why I'm not really interested in the p365.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a CCP, vp9sk and a p30sk v1 lem, I use the pinky ext floor plate on all mags for the two hk's, the CCP is perfect just the way it is. I wouldnt own either hk's if the ext floor plate wasn't available, i dont dig the two finger grip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
PPQ SC... with 10 round ext, to my surprise, carries as discreetly as my PPS M2. With 15 round, the height is 5", which isn't bad either.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Everyone that tried to explain how the p99c trigger shoots and the different "modes" took up an entire paragraph so ruled it out.

I'll make it plain.

Stage the trigger so it's in SA mode, and carry it in a good, reputable holster that completely covers the trigger guard and you're no less safe than carrying a PPQ or VP-series pistol.

I'm sure I'll catch hell from some folks here for the suggestion, but honestly, if you're vigilant, an extra 1/8" and 2 pounds or so of trigger weight aren't going to be an issue. If they are...well, you have issues and shouldn't be telling or suggesting to others how to carry.

There's also people here who have stated in the past that carrying a gun without a manual safety is dangerous and that they don't want those people in their presence.

It is what it is.

I also decock my PPS Classic with the backstrap, and rip the tags off of my mattresses and pillows.
:D

The PPQc is for sale at a great price as mentioned in another thread. I'm certainly no fan of the "me, too" button, but it's sure as hell got me wanting to go ahead and finish the order....and I already have 2 PPS', 2 P99c', and three PPQ....so...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have experienced the same issues as you have. The remedy is to buy an extended pinky magazine but not for the VP9SK but for P2000SK. VP9SK's flat bottom mag and the pinky extension just didn't work for me at all. Flat was too small and the extended too large. I bought extended pinky P2000SK mag and voila, perfect match. HK mags are all interchangeable. You'll have to snap the P2000SK mag into your VP9SK but it will be heaven from there on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have experienced the same issues as you have. The remedy is to buy an extended pinky magazine but not for the VP9SK but for P2000SK. VP9SK's flat bottom mag and the pinky extension just didn't work for me at all. Flat was too small and the extended too large. I bought extended pinky P2000SK mag and voila, perfect match. HK mags are all interchangeable. You'll have to snap the P2000SK mag into your VP9SK but it will be heaven from there on.

Pic of my VP9SK with perfect (not in the world but for me) P2000SK extended pinky mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a PPQ for home defense. i carry a VP9sk. absolutely love 'em both. i'm a paddle fan, also. the ergonomics of both guns are great to me. switching between the two is seamless. the HK fits my hand so well i don't even notice when i'm firing with the flush 10 round mag inserted; the pinky curled under the base plate isn't even noticeable to me. a highly accurate gun, even running that mag. the only way i could possibly make the HK better would be to make the mag release a bit longer. still, it doesn't affect anything the way it is. i can't say enough good stuff about both these guns

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brilliant!!! I’m on it. Gonna order those. Love my Vp9sk. I kinda dislike the pinkey extension too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think we're on the same page. I will never carry a pistol with a manual safety. Just another thing for Murphys law to mess up. I'm also not worried about trigger weight. As long as it's heavy enough for the wind not to make it go bang then I'm fine with it. Can the decocker be hit rendering the gun useless until racked again? It seems like with the AS version this isn't possible, but someone said with the QA version it is?

I'll make it plain.

Stage the trigger so it's in SA mode, and carry it in a good, reputable holster that completely covers the trigger guard and you're no less safe than carrying a PPQ or VP-series pistol.

I'm sure I'll catch hell from some folks here for the suggestion, but honestly, if you're vigilant, an extra 1/8" and 2 pounds or so of trigger weight aren't going to be an issue. If they are...well, you have issues and shouldn't be telling or suggesting to others how to carry.

There's also people here who have stated in the past that carrying a gun without a manual safety is dangerous and that they don't want those people in their presence.

It is what it is.

I also decock my PPS Classic with the backstrap, and rip the tags off of my mattresses and pillows.
:D

The PPQc is for sale at a great price as mentioned in another thread. I'm certainly no fan of the "me, too" button, but it's sure as hell got me wanting to go ahead and finish the order....and I already have 2 PPS', 2 P99c', and three PPQ....so...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have a PPQ for home defense. i carry a VP9sk. absolutely love 'em both. i'm a paddle fan, also. the ergonomics of both guns are great to me. switching between the two is seamless. the HK fits my hand so well i don't even notice when i'm firing with the flush 10 round mag inserted; the pinky curled under the base plate isn't even noticeable to me. a highly accurate gun, even running that mag. the only way i could possibly make the HK better would be to make the mag release a bit longer. still, it doesn't affect anything the way it is. i can't say enough good stuff about both these guns

I went to the range and shot a VP9. They didn't have a VP9SK for rent, but I was able to hold one. The VP9 felt and shot great. I was impressed with the trigger. Shot my PPQ right after and I think the PPQ has a better trigger, but the VP9 was not bad at all. I really didn't like the short length of the paddle mag release. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the PPQ. I'll have to go back and shoot the VP9 again to see if I can get used to the paddles. I wish a range near me had a P99.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I think we're on the same page. I will never carry a pistol with a manual safety. Just another thing for Murphys law to mess up. I'm also not worried about trigger weight. As long as it's heavy enough for the wind not to make it go bang then I'm fine with it. Can the decocker be hit rendering the gun useless until racked again? It seems like with the AS version this isn't possible, but someone said with the QA version it is?
On the AS and the older models NOT listed as "AS" (but were by design the same), you're correct, the decocker merely puts the gun back into DA mode. However, on the QA, it does in fact make the gun a paperweight, until the slide is retraced enough to cock the striker again.

It's one of the reasons I think the QA is a great gun to have as a nightstand gun.

I've a P99c as AND a P99cQA. My PPS has the bulk of my carry duty, however.

I wish Walther would release the PPQc with a paddle and the Classic mags....THAT would probably be what it takes to step away from my PPS.

Or not. The size of it isn't it's strong point. It's the decock feature that lends it so well to MY needs and wants...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went to the range and shot a VP9. They didn't have a VP9SK for rent, but I was able to hold one. The VP9 felt and shot great. I was impressed with the trigger. Shot my PPQ right after and I think the PPQ has a better trigger, but the VP9 was not bad at all. I really didn't like the short length of the paddle mag release. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the PPQ. I'll have to go back and shoot the VP9 again to see if I can get used to the paddles. I wish a range near me had a P99.

length of the VP paddle release isn't a deal killer to me. i never much cared for the full sized VP9; just couldn't seem to get it sized right for my hand. but the sk is a world better to me. the proportions may be the same, but i think the difference in absolute size is what works for me. the point being, find a VP9sk and shoot it. don't base your decision on the full sized gun; they felt significantly different to me. i don't think the HK trigger is the best out there; i think it's the second best. and that ain't bad. and a lot of people that own the VP9 and the sk say the trigger on the sk is better than the one on the full sized. i've decided not to use any pinky extension mags. i shoot the flat bottom 10 rounder just fine, and that's the most concealable. my opinion is that if you're going to go with a pinky extension, you may as well just use the 13 round mag you can get from HK. it's almost the exact same size, so why not get 3 more rounds? pinky extension is less concealable with no gain in rounds, and it doesn't help my shooting. so i have no use for it. matter of fact, i shot the gun earlier this week and told myself to buy some new flat base plates and take the pinky extensions off

just my $.02. YMMV

·
Registered
211 Posts

length of the VP paddle release isn't a deal killer to me. i never much cared for the full sized VP9; just couldn't seem to get it sized right for my hand. but the sk is a world better to me. the proportions may be the same, but i think the difference in absolute size is what works for me. the point being, find a VP9sk and shoot it. don't base your decision on the full sized gun; they felt significantly different to me. i don't think the HK trigger is the best out there; i think it's the second best. and that ain't bad. and a lot of people that own the VP9 and the sk say the trigger on the sk is better than the one on the full sized. i've decided not to use any pinky extension mags. i shoot the flat bottom 10 rounder just fine, and that's the most concealable. my opinion is that if you're going to go with a pinky extension, you may as well just use the 13 round mag you can get from HK. it's almost the exact same size, so why not get 3 more rounds? pinky extension is less concealable with no gain in rounds, and it doesn't help my shooting. so i have no use for it. matter of fact, i shot the gun earlier this week and told myself to buy some new flat base plates and take the pinky extensions off

just my $.02. YMMV
Just pointing out, that some states, cities and jurisdictions limit what can be carried to 10 round mags and no more than 20 rounds total. District of Columbia is one.
Just sayin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts