Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,

I am currently seriously looking at buying a used PPQ M1 Navy in 9mm.
The only problem seems to be that there does not appear to be many of them around and with the paddle release they take a different magazine to the M2.
Just wondering on what your opinions are of this gun?
I have had a PPQ M2 in .22 Cal for a few years now and have been very happy with its reliabilty cycles any ammo I throw at it and surprisingly I have found that the most accurate ammo is the Remington golden bullets, perhaps I just got a good batch of them haha.
Anyway any input would be appreciated the only PPQ that seems to be being imported into Australia now is the Q5 and they are a bit more than what I would like to spend.
Best Wishes to all and thanks for the time in reading my post.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I carry a Navy Q Classic (the model 1) whenever I must be around a marine environment. In fact until the Q45 came out it was my EDC at all times for a number of years.

My Navy Q has been exposed to dirt, beach sand, the ocean (very often), Florida canal mud and the rigors of daily carry abuse without any failures except those induced for training. Heck I've even shot it with FMJ submerged.

It is robust, accurate and yes it does indeed take a different mag than the M2 button release but it does share with the P99.

The 9mm Navy Q is an entirely different animal from the 22. It is designed as a combat weapon and you'll certainly notice the difference. While it will eat everything you feed it it seems to really like 124 and 147 rounds.

Reactions: ByronBay

·
Registered
6 Posts
What would be the major differences between this model and a Q4? I’m interested since the prices at gunbuyer are so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
The Navy Q May be offered with both a threaded and non threaded barrel (depending upon the package) a 17 round and 15 round mag a special striker spring set up for marine purposes (heavier and channeled) a drainage port and supposedly a "marine" finish to resist wet sea going environments.

Mine is a 2013 (BD) Classic NavyQ which is a rather rare duck as Walther was making the transition to the button and I had to get a special order Classic.

Reactions: jefflac02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input olsoul, I will try to find some more mags for the pistol next week and purchase it, everything else I have researched on it tells me it is a good pistol and I should be able to shoot tight groups with it at 25 yards for pistol comps at the range.
It is just the lack of spare parts for it that has me a bit concerned plenty of M2 magazines available in Australia. I made so many phone calls on Friday trying to source mags it was a bit disheartening.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Thanks for the input olsoul, I will try to find some more mags for the pistol next week and purchase it,
It is just the lack of spare parts for it that has me a bit concerned plenty of M2 magazines available in Australia. I made so many phone calls on Friday trying to source mags it was a bit disheartening.
Why not ask oldfart how he converts M2 mags to work in the Classic Qs...he has a lot of experience with the technique and plenty of pictures to guide you through the process. That way mags shouldn't be a major issue.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Are P99 mags not available there?

Or am I misunderstanding the question here? Are we talking about making M1 mags fit an M2, or making M2 mags fit an M1?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, modifying an M2 mag is certainly an option. Below are a few mags I added an 'M1' latch hole to.

Ahh thank you so much a, bit of time out in the shed with the Dremel tool should be able to accomplish that cheers I will just order the M2's .

Makes me wonder why none of the guys at the gun shops suggested this, but probably like so many people these days they just did not care.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Yep, modifying an M2 mag is certainly an option. Below are a few mags I added an 'M1' latch hole to.

Or am I misunderstanding the question here? making M2 mags fit an M1?

Now I'm seeing red ;):)

OP, if you can source P99 15 round mags, those will work in the PPQ Classic without modification. The baseplates will have P99 on them though, it's only cosmetic, the mags are functionally identical to those of the PPQ (Classic, or M1).

Here's a twister; I have a PPQ 15+2 mag into my P99c....;)

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Yup the P99 mags will work just fine if you can find them but I have heard that they are just as hard to find over there as Classic Q mags.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you

Now I'm seeing red ;):)

OP, if you can source P99 15 round mags, those will work in the PPQ Classic without modification. The baseplates will have P99 on them though, it's only cosmetic, the mags are functionally identical to those of the PPQ (Classic, or M1).

Here's a twister; I have a PPQ 15+2 mag into my P99c....;)

Cheers for that , I will also give this a try a bit later on today, it is only 4.38 am Monday morning here at the moment so will try calling gun shops after 9.00 am :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Managed to buy the PPQ M1 magazine for $135.00 which is around $96.00 US.
Unfortunately most thing's to do with firearms are expensive over here.
If anyone else From Australia is looking for them and reads this post Cleaver Firearms north of Brisbane stocks them.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Holy hell!

Makes one wonder the legalities of someone stateside buying a few mags, then reselling them to you at the same cost, with shipping?

Does Australia have laws to prevent that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy hell!

Makes one wonder the legalities of someone stateside buying a few mags, then reselling them to you at the same cost, with shipping?

Does Australia have laws to prevent that?

I wish it was that easy, but I would not ask anyone to take the chance.
Crazy as it may seem the US Department of Homeland Security classify magazines as a prohibited export.
Talking to a guy from a local gunshop today about how we are screwed here with the prices we have to pay and he explained to me the process.
The company that imports them here has to pay a license fee to export them from the US an import fee when they reach Australia then put their profit on them and sell them to the retail outlets who also have to put some profit on them, so we end up with the thieving prices we have to pay.
I am planning on visiting the USA hopefully in 2021 so I am figuring ways to buy a few magazines when I am there and do a bit of smuggling haha.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Well, if wouldn't result in any legal repercussions, I wouldn't have issue with sending someone a "birthday present" ;):D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do the laws where you live allow for modification of M2 magazines, if you can't find p99 magazines?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Bryonbay, not sure if he still stocks them but Newcastle Armoury had the PPQ M1 mags for the Navy.

He use to sell at the Penrith Gun Show
Thanks for that, just inside now, so will call him tomorrow and see how his price compares if I want to buy some more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts