Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my brand new PPQ M1 in 9mm, took her home field striped and cleaned the factory gunk out of her and also fully disassembled the slide to clean out the firing pin channel. The trigger had some grit in it in the take up but that has worked its way out a little now but i have only ran 100 rounds down her pipe so far. My ? is has anyone else experienced chafing inside the frame where the recoil guide rod sits inside that little channel? Also i noticed the underside of the barrel by the chamber has a nice linear scratch where the recoil guide rod rubs against the barrel?? Was wondering if this is normal for A BRAND NEW PPQ and it is just still being "broken in" or if there is something wrong with my new PPQ. I love this little firearm and would like to hope its going to be ok cause this is my new favorite gun BY FAR. I have a XDm which was my fav for awhile until i got my hands on this BEAUTIFUL PPQ. I might also mention this is my first Walther product I am very impressed just a little worried that my new PPQ had a problem already. The 100 rounds i ran threw her the day i got her had 0 malfunctions and ran great so great and felt so good in the hand i will be getting another PPQ in .40 S&W to replace my .40 XDm. Could anyone shed any light on this please cause i would love to keep this gun FOREVER but i fear even if i properly maintain it, it could have a problem is this isnt suppose to be happening to a brand new PPQ. I served 6 years in the Coast Guard on a Boarding Team doing drug interdiction off the port of Miami so my weapon maintenance skills are up to par with where they should be to make a firearm last for life so its not me im affraid. The chafing does wipe right out with a little scrubbing and cleaner but i dunno if this is normal or not. Thank you all for your help in advance, and any suggestions are welcomed by all means.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
"Chafing" that "wipe(s) right out with a little scrubbing and cleaner" is nothing to worry about. Even loss of blue is nothing to worry about.

When something digs in and starts chewing up or swaging metal, then you can start to worry.

M

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any and every feedback is appreciated PLEASE. I am not a person who takes feedback as criticism we are all here to only help each other out right? Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum. I would like to become a active member because i see my catching the "Walther PPQ fever" now lol :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Chafing" that "wipe(s) right out with a little scrubbing and cleaner" is nothing to worry about. Even loss of blue is nothing to worry about.

When something digs in and starts chewing up or swaging metal, then you can start to worry.

M
Thank you for a reply! ok so what about the metal scratching underneath my barrel by the chamber where i would think the recoil spring is rubbing? can post pics if needed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the scratching on the underside of the barrel by the chamber implying that something could be wrong with my new PPQ? i called walther in fort smith Arkansas but the guy i spoke to seemed clueless to the PPQ kinda worried me. ill post a pic of the barrel to show how thick the scratching is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
here is a picture of the barrel with the scratching im talking about just past the chamber. Mind you like i said I have only ran 100 rounds threw her so far and this scratching is already there permanently it looks like :confused: when i rack the slide back i dont hear or feel anything grinding so am wondering if this is something to be worried about. again thanks in advance. I have quite a few pistols and have never seen anything like this kind of wear especially a brand new gun with only 100 rounds through it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
This rubbing you're encountering is not that unusual. I'm pretty sure ALL my PPQ's, P99's and SW99's show a little contact and ware on the bottom of the barrel. When I look at the picture you posted, I think to myself 'I've seen worse'. In fact, one poster posted a picture of his and it reminded me of Aunt klanies old washing board. I'm pretty sure what I'm seeing on yours would be considered normal ware.

But if it bothers you, you might consider an aftermarket guide rod assembly that utilizies 'round' spring instead of 'flat' spring. But the REAL fix these springs will provide is they are a smaller diameter than the factory spring. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Go to the Sprinco web site and pick up one of his recoil spring assemblies.....they work.....and it'll fix your problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This rubbing you're encountering is not that unusual. I'm pretty sure ALL my PPQ's, P99's and SW99's show a little contact and ware on the bottom of the barrel. When I look at the picture you posted, I think to myself 'I've seen worse'. In fact, one poster posted a picture of his and it reminded me of Aunt klanies old washing board. I'm pretty sure what I'm seeing on yours would be considered normal ware.

But if it bothers you, you might consider an aftermarket guide rod assembly that utilizies 'round' spring instead of 'flat' spring. But the REAL fix these springs will provide is they are a smaller diameter than the factory spring. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Go to the Sprinco web site and pick up one of his recoil spring assemblies.....they work.....and it'll fix your problem.
Thank you sir for the input much appreciated!! i will look into another spring doesnt hurt to try i guess. im willing to do whatever it takes to keep my new PPQ running for a very long time i am that impressed with this firearm it would be a darn shame for something that seems to be that good to have such a simple a stupid problem ya kno? I might look into a solid guide rod with round spring as well cause i just noticed that my polymer guide rod has had the crap rubbed out of it already to by the flat spring. i believe that is the problem cause all the wear and scratches i am asking about are the same color as that stupid flat recoil spring. again thank you sir!! "imanoldfart"

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is the week of recoil springs, isn't it?

My PPQ has the exact same wear line. It appears to be normal, and looks like it's just the finish rubbing off. Keep it lightly oiled, or put a very thin layer of grease along the wear line if concerned and it'll help you sleep better.

You're PPQ is a finely crafted pistol, and with (or maybe without!) lube and the occasional cleaning, it'll last you a long long time. The trigger on this pistol still makes me smile :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

IMAOLDFART - have you replaced any of your springs with round springs in any of your PPQs? if so did you have any failures after changing the spring? if you havent replaced any of your PPQ springs may i please ask how bad your PPQ barrels have worn like mine and if it has affected steel of the barrel like rusting since its wore off the finish? thank you again sir.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is the week of recoil springs, isn't it? ...
Indeed Matt!!! The trigger is the main reason i bought "my first PPQ" i say first cause i WILL own another PPQ in .40 in the near future as soon as i can find another good deal on a brand new one. The trigger and the ergos are by far the BEST i have felt and shot on a pistol, and ive shot SOOOO MANY pistols in the military during tac training at Raid Officer school. As soon as i noticed the wear on the barrel i started putting a tiny bit of lube on it as i shot my first 100 through her but unfortunately it didnt stop the scratch from forming. The reason why i am so concerned is like i said ive shot 100's of pistols during free range days in Boarding Team Officer (Raid Officer) school where we would all bring our personal guns to the range and run drills with our personal weapons, not just our issued Beretta M9's. Plus all the pistols i own i have never seen anything like this. Again this is my first Walther pistol though so i guess its just my OCD and attention to detail to be a perfectionist that has me trippin out.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great to know Matt thank you!!! I guess ill just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse try a round spring that was suggested to me ^ Looks like ive got some homework to do lol now i have an excuse to tell the wifey for wanting to shoot everyday to see if its gonna get worse or just stay the way it is. Thank you so much for the pic makes me rest a little easier now.

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
Yes, I've replaced the spring in some of my Q's. My favorite is the Sprinco RED spring combo. This rod/spring combo works flawlessly in my PPQ's/P99's 9mm/40 S&W and even my 357 Sig barreled PPQ.

I and Olsoul can vouch for the Sprinco Red spring combo. Here's a link Sprinco USA -- Recoil Reducers scroll down to 'Walthers'....looks like you need part number 19165.

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
Just a minute, I'll go take a picture.

Got er' done. On the 9mm the end of the rod is just an rch inside the end of the hole in the slide. On the 40, the end of the rod is just an rch outside the end of the hole in the slide....but on the 40 the bottom edge/part of the front of the slide is actually angled back, so it's not 90° to the guide rod. This little ascetically pleasing mod was done to enable Walther to use the same frame for both the 9mm and the 40. As you can tell by looking the slide and barrel on the 40 is actually about 1/8" longer than the slide on the 9mm.

OK, looking pretty much straight down. The 9mm is on the left, the 357 Sig is on the right.

Angled for a better view of the 357 Sig (40 S&W).

Angled for a better view of the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
I have three Classic PPQs, a P99 and P99c. Each has the wear pattern you are concerned about.

My PPQ First Edition still runs a factory RSA and I didn't see any increase in the wear after about 500 rounds or so...I have about 65K rounds through it now and this wear certainly hasn't hurt the accuracy or reliability.

I'm running a BT guide rod in my 2014 Classic Q now, Sprinco in my P99 and will likely mount a Sprinco in my Navy Q which is my EDC.

The round springs will solve the problem but if you don't do anything at all your weapon will be fine.

The Sprinco and BT systems are flush with the front of the slide and the collar of the DPM sticks out just a bit (and not by much).

Now quit worrying and shoot your Q some more.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gotta say thank you guys for your input on this!!! Means a lot to me to hear it from "fellow Q owners" that my brand new PPQ doesnt have a defect in it. Ill just keep shootin her till then but I will probably be ordering the sprinco system and spring that was recommended. To you guys who have the Sprinco system installed did you notice a difference in recoil and ability get back on target faster for follow up shots after you installed it? To me personally a 9mm never has much recoil due to millions of 9mm rounds fired in the military for training, but my wife on the other hand who i am training to shoot cant shoot very fast while staying accurate yet due to recoil. Shes able to crack bullseyes just cant shoot fast while staying accurate like me yet. Thank you guys again for the help!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
To you guys who have the Sprinco system installed did you notice a difference in recoil and ability get back on target faster for follow up shots after you installed it?
Yep, and that's the beauty of this system and the criteria for which it was designed. Call Alan at Sprinco, he'll answer ALL your technical questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know there probably is a thread on it but since you have the sprinco installed and used it how good is it for function in your weapon i.e. any malfunctions? aid in recoil for faster follow up shots??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts