Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum so bear with me. Been in the shooting business for about 15 years, but not an ISPA (or whatever that pistol competition thing is) guy. On a Federal LE course of fire, I typically shoot between 270 and 285 (out of 300) cold with limited shooting throughout the year. Expert (285-295+) with monthly shooting.

I recently purchased an M1 through my FFL based on comparisons between this gun, Springfield XD 3.8, and the HK VP9. I'm glad I went with the PPQ and even happier that I did not go for the M2. Like many, not having to adjust my grip to drop the mag is fantastic and much more natural than the HK paddle system to me. Additionally, the HK Paddle seems flimsy compared to the all metal trigger guard ambi mag release. Since there is no "mantle" on the right side of the gun (like M2) to potentially pinch your fingers on, I think the PPQ Classic (M1) is the way to go if you're going for 9mm. Would love to see a classic in .40 at some point too.

After about 500 rounds, about 240 with stock everything, then the next 250 or so with the DPM recoil spring system installed, I have some perspectives about the gun in light of the many comments I've read through and from my own experience. I'm starting with the negatives (which some are just getting used to the gun and have nothing to do with the gun itself), but please note I AM TOTALLY a fan of this gun after some practice and one mod.

DPM Recoil Reduction Springs and PPQ "Snappiness"
First, without the DPM system, I noticed the recoil was about as "snappy" as my G26 which is manageable, but not necessarily what you'd expect from a compact 4" barrel. With the DPM system installed and using a good 70/30-80/20 support grip, I really didn't notice the recoil that much, even when I had a less than 70/30 support hand grip. Overall, I'd give the the DPM spring system a B+ for now, not having had the time or opportunity to swap out spring systems on the same shooting day. With time and getting more comfortable position from my support hand, I'll be rapidly and accurately shooting this pistol consistently - no doubt.

Semi-AD and Double Tap issue.
During my first 200+ rounds (3 courses of fire, plus some practice), I had one premature round fire as I was aiming at the target while pressing the trigger. I'm used to the Glock and Springfield systems so I attributed that to being a little heavy on the initial trigger squeeze. At one other point, while attempting a rapid fire 3 round volley, I had one unintended double-tap. I attribute this to keeping my finger rigid while trying to go for a quick trigger reset and not maintaining a solid grip with my support hand. My 4th course of fire the following week (still without the DPM system) did not see either the semi-AD or unintended double-tap. Today, with the DPM system installed, I shot another 3+ courses of fire (about 180+ rounds total with some additional practice) and did not have one semi-AD and no double taps. With the DPM installed, I felt my follow-ups/intentional double/triple taps were tighter and at times I definitely felt like my rapid fire, especially when I was using a proper 70/30 grip, was super fast and smooth. I was taking it a little bit slower than normal today so I could get used to my support hand placement on the weapon, but still shooting faster on command than my colleagues.

Wide Rear Site Aperture.
I read about this being an issue for some people and figured I'd comment on it. I naturally shoot slightly left due to somewhat poor support hand discipline (in terms of consistency), but I noticed at distance (25 yards), I was a little more off to the left and I think I can attribute this to feeling the need to "rest" my front site on the right side of my left rear sight. It's something someone can get used to, and at short distances it should not make a difference at least out to 10-15 yards, but I normally don't have an issue with sight picture on narrower rear sights, so when I go with some kind of night site system, I'll see if I start to miss the wider aperture or not.

The absolute positives.

Mag Release and Trigger
Apart from the mag release mentioned above and on EVERY forum, which is fantastic, the trigger pull (as mentioned in EVERY forum) is great and once you get used to the short pull and reset, you can really get on this trigger safely and rapidly with good support hand control. My intentional double/triple taps today, with the DPM system, were practically on top of each other (when I was using a strong support hand as you always should). The trigger is so smooth, I could not imagine getting a 3.5 pound trigger, but some guys always want more, I guess. I'm completely content with it.

Grip and Feel.
I'm using the factory installed medium grip which fits my right hand like a glove. I have smaller hands, not like carny small, but for 5'9" my palm is a little narrower than most, but the medium grip seems to be fine and I do not have to reset my grip ever since the ergos are great all around.

ISI Paddle/Button Holster
So, I went on the cheap with the paddle holster. Having experience on the Blackhawk Serpa on 2-3 weapons, I feel the Serpa feels better from the draw with a smoother button push and it's more natural to find the button. I have not tried my next holster which I'm looking to get an inside the pants Crossbreed...we'll see how that goes.

Overall Opinion.
I'm really glad I went with this weapon over the VP9 based on ergonomics, trigger, mag release, and just overall feel of the weapon while getting on the trigger. Each one's preference is going to be different, so take mine along with the 10,000 other PPQ enthusiasts. I hope this will provide enough information for potential buyers to make or break their decision. FYI - my VA FFL got mine for $575 plus 6%, so if you're paying more in this area, don't.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm really glad I went with this weapon over the VP9 based on ergonomics ...
Fair enough - personal impressions are fine, and you will find plenty of them to go the other way. There are certain things the HK does better. Me - I like them both... I have a pile of Walthers, and about as many HK's, they all have great things about them.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Hmmm personal experiences sure do differ....I've found the PPQ clearly superior to the VP9 in ergonomics, mag release and I'd say the factory sights on both are in need of replacement.

Reactions: STR1 and Zebra

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correction

Unless there has been a change recently, the PPQ M1 comes with a polymer mag release.
My bad. The mag release feels so solid, to me it felt like metal, but I confirmed my PPQ is no different than others. It is a very sturdy polymer that feels better than the HK mag release and I really like the fact that it's built into the trigger guard. My only problem with it is that, while it's holstered, it's hard (impossible) to pop out the mag and top off the magazine if need be on qualifications without popping out the pistol up from the holster which tends to get safety officers a little skiddish. It's a super minor problem with my org which recently added this topping off thing in the middle of one of the iterations, so probably not an issue for most. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Completely agree, Brother

Hmmm personal experiences sure do differ....I've found the PPQ clearly superior to the VP9 in ergonomics, mag release and I'd say the factory sights on both are in need of replacement.
I am looking to get some night sights on mine. Like I mentioned, I "guess" I like the wide aperture, but I question if it's really needed for quick target acquisition out to 10 yards. I mean, I don't even think I'm aiming more than squaring up the front sight out to at least the 7 yard line.

Please let me know if you have a recommendation for a set of aftermarket sights. I'm leaning toward the trijicons, but am a little concerned they're so bright that bad guys could accurately paint me with a mortar barrage miles away. I like the glock night sights on my G26, which are pretty subdued, but more than adequate for night time shooting. Would love to find something like that for the PPQ. Thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Please let me know if you have a recommendation for a set of aftermarket sights. I'm leaning toward the trijicons, but am a little concerned they're so bright that bad guys could accurately paint me with a mortar barrage miles away.
Actually Omega at combat distances and situations the BG will not see your sights, too much perceptual narrowing going on.

However if you think Trijis are too bright I'd suggest the Walther factory tritium night sights. They are steel sights that are nicely contoured for the PPQ. They are extremely robust and will withstand very hard usage. These sights also keep the weapon's POA/POI

They must be installed with a pusher or nylon tipped punch and hammer. Once installed they stay where placed. The two major downside are that because of the contour they are more difficult to belt rack and because they aren't extremely bright they are harder to use at dusk and dawn.

Earl has them in stock as I don't think Ft Smith has their tritium import license yet and can't bring them in.

I've mounted the Walther sights on three of my Qs (my QFE came with them) and do like them however the TruGlo TFX and TFX Pro night sights are more suitable to my needs. They have all the advantages of the Walther sights and none of the drawbacks.

Dusk and Dawn are the times when ambient light is about equal to the tritium light output and make target acquisition difficult. The tritium, fiber optic combination allow the sights to generate enough light that they can easily be used. A further advantage is that in full light they really stand out.

Either the TFX or TFX Pros are now mounted on both of my EDC Qs and on my P99 and P99c. Yes they are that good.

As to the Trijis, I found that they changed my POA/POI and were poorly designed for EDC. I had them mounted on my P99c and replaced them with TFX.

I think you worry needlessly about the sights causing the BGs to locate you ( and really I think the muzzle flash will do a better job for them) but if you can't get around that go with the Walther tritium sights.

Reactions: NeauxGo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts